Problems with Radeon HIS HD 6970. Help Appreciated.

nanner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I recently ordered a new HIS Radeon HD 6970 graphics card for my computer. I installed as directed but when I start up my computer I get no input to the monitor and the red light on my motherboard comes on indicating that something is not working right with the video card.

My motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0, but from what I've read, there shouldn't be a compatibility problem. I've checked several times to make sure all the cords and whatnot are plugged in right and I have a 750W Power supply so I'm pretty sure the card is getting plenty of power.

Here are the specs for my computer currently:

Processor: Intel Core i7 860
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
RAM: 8 Gigs
Power Supply: 750W
Former Graphics Card (worked fine): Radeon HD 4890

Is it possible that there are compatibility issues with my motherboard? If not, is there some way that I should troubleshoot specifically?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
whats the name of that 750w psu?
Its not the amount but how much of that 750w it actually see. Some junk 750w psus supply all their power to the devices on the 5v line like the ram and hdds etc

Well, I can't get any info about your PSU, even from their website. Could you read it by yourself on the label? there's must be a sticker on it. Read all the specs and post again here...

Are you sure all the cables are properly attached? Try use different cable (that PSU is came with 2x6pin and 1x8pin, right?) for the card.

nanner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I just checked the power supply for its specs.

They are:

+5v: 38A
+3.3V: 28A
Total: 200W

+12V: 45A
Total: 540W

-12V: .6A
Total: 7.2W

+5VSB: 2.5A
Total: 12.5W

Total Watts: 750

Hope that clarifies things a little. According to this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279391-28-power-requirements-specs-popular-graphic-cards-guide

it should have enough power for my card. Could the power supply still be the problem or should I look into some other possible cause?

nanner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hey guys thanks for all your input so far, I think I probably will invest in a better psu so I can take full advantage of my new card, even if it turns out the psu isn't the problem.

However, before I do, I'd like determine that it isn't the card itself or the motherboard that are causing problems. The card is at least partially working to work since the fan comes on when I boot up the pc. And the motherboard should theoretically be compatible. Still, I'd like to have some assurance as to what the problem is before I start buying stuff.

Is there any way to check the motherboard compatibility or check to make sure the gpu itself isn't faulty?

Again, thanks for all your responses and any help is appreciated.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the wattage is enough but what they mean with recommended is with a psu that can actually do the labelled power. Unfortunately there's cheap brands that label their psu's power ratings it can't supply. Normally they get caught out when tested but the respectable sites but most of them don't send the psu's out for reviews. In Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Xfx, Pc and Power Cooling you can't go wrong in. If in doubt grab a Corsair.

also consider psu degradation to explain why the psu is insufficient dispite its specs and like Gnomio said, it likely doesn't deliver the specs that it promises to begin with...

get a reliable unit ...

I have the XFX XXX Black Edition 650 W PSU and its excellent

nanner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I hate to revive this thread now that some time has gone by, but I just received and installed a new psu (it's an antec hcg 900w). I installed it and it works fine with my old gpu, but my new gpu is still not working.
Since it appears that the psu was not the problem, would that mean that my card was simply dead on arrival?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

minecrawlerx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hi,

I got a HIS Radeon HD 6970 for Christmas. I had a HIS Radeon HD 5700 before. I have the same problem. When the 6970 is inside my computer, the screen remains black and I get the beep error long-short-short-short (AWARD BIOS - latest version) which indicates a problem with the graphics card.

My System:

OCZ 750W FATAL1TY Power Supply
ASUS M2N32 WS PRO Mainboard
AMD Phenom X4 9970 CPU
4x 2GB Ram (2x OCZ 2x GElL)
1x SSD
// Those are additional, but I already disconnected them - still not working
4x HDD
2x DVD

So what should I do now? Any ideas?

PS: I maybe I connected the graphics card and the power supply wrong? I used the red slots of the power supply?

minecrawlerx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Why can't anyone help me? No ideas? No suggestions? This card works with a friend's computer. So there has to be a way to get it running!
I can't find anything usefull via google. But this can't be the everything o_O