Solved

HTPC Build- help please

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 7:15:55 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next 4-5 Months (April/May)

Budget Range: Cheapest possible (Under $300 is what I'm looking at)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching Movies, Surfing the Web (Home Theater)

Parts Not Required: CPU (AMD Phenom II x4 970 3.5 GHz- It runs at a TDP of 125w so...takes a lot)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: I need a small HTPC case that would fit in a tv shelf (low profile).

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Either 1600x1200 or 1920x1200... Not completely sure but I think it's the latter (1920x1200)

Additional Comments: I need it to not necessarily be quiet but at least not loud. It's a present for my mom and I don't want it to be loud enough to disrupt watching a movie.

I have the CPU... I'm looking at the GT 520 as the video card... Don't think I could go more expensive and it looks like it'll be more than enough. I really am liking this case, also- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But if a cheaper case comes up that looks decent and maybe even has a decent psu included that would be great.

She won't need more than 150gb as she only streams movies/tv shows and isn't interested in downloading them. Also, she doesn't need a Blu Ray drive.

I really appreciate any recommendations.

More about : htpc build

Best solution

January 2, 2012 7:39:24 PM

No point asking for advice on a system you wish to construct in 4-5 months! Ivy Bridge will be out by then with HD4000 grahics chip. Might as well wait a little longer that way you will get the best advice at the time.
January 2, 2012 7:59:58 PM

Well, I don't need an extra CPU though. With my budget, I don't have the money for another CPU, especially not an Ivy Bridge CPU. Like I said, this isn't for gaming...
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2012 8:01:50 PM

And btw although I only wish to construct it in about 4-5 months (maybe 3) I'm planning on buying parts periodically.
m
l
January 4, 2012 9:43:58 AM

Best answer selected by NeutralEnergy.
m
l
!