Bad motherboard? what now

Hi I’m ken,
Recently i've been having trouble with my computer, it started when I was fiddling with things and thought it would be good to replace my thermal paste to let my processor run a little more efficiently. When I finished this and went to test it out the computer would turn on then off over and over until I pulled the power cord. After reading a lot of threads on this I assumed it was one of three things, my processor, my power supply, or my motherboard. I took everything out of the case and attempted a “bread board” test where I had the power supply feeding a bare motherboard with one stick of ram and nothing else. I still got the same results after testing with another good PSU and replacing each ram card testing individually. So I think I have a bad motherboard. Instead of fixing this old machine i'm thinking of buying a refurb windows 7 unit from a local retailer and “upgrading” with all my hardware. Is there anything to look out for as far as things that won’t transfer from my old computer to the new? I basically want to use my old graphics card (HD radeon), at least a couple of my RAM sticks 2/gb ea., and possibly and extra disc drive or hard drive. I also could use my old power supply because it’s a 460w and has a ton of extra connectors, What is everyone’s opinion? I would love to get back up and running for under $400

Ps sorry for bad sentence structure etc, currently posting via iphone :/

Here are my current pc specs:
HP Pavilion Elite e9105z
Product number: AV307AV
Introduction date
Country/region sold in:
United States
Motherboard Name
Manufacturer: Pegatron M2N78-LA
HP: Violet-GL8E
GeForce 9100
Memory slots: 4 DIMMS
Maximum memory:
16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)
Front-side-bus (processor dependent)
PCI Express x16: 1
PCI Express x1: 3
Drive Bays
5.25" external: 2
3.5" internal: 2
Personal Media Drive: 1
Pocket Media Drive: 1

Phenom II X4-945 (D) (3.0GHz / 3600 MHz HT3) AM3; 2 MB L2 + 6 MB shared L3 cache (95W)

8 GB (4 x 2 GB) DDR2 PC2-6400

Hard Drive

1 TB (2 x 500) 7200 rpm RAID 0, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

primary optical drive:

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA

Hauppauge ATSC/NTSC TV tuner card with FM tuner (includes remote control, expansion card with IR ports, external IR receiver and IR emitter cable)

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n & external antenna

Integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports)

Radeon HD4650
4 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. An AM3+ motherboard can reuse your Phenom II CPU. You can pick up one for about $100.00. There are bargains to be had if you watch the advertised sales at places like Newegg, Tiger Direct.

I would buy a bare Mid-Tower PC case for $30 to $50. Your HP case is a smaller Mini-Tower and the wiring is slightly different from standard bare PC cases.

Fact is motherboards that use DDR2 memory may have been common in 2009 but are no longer available today.
    Figure $ 30 to $ 50 for DDR3 memory.

Operating systems are tied to motherboards on OEM PC's from HP. You need a licensed copy from Microsoft. Windows 7 OEM Home Premium has Media Center is about $90. The version that is reusable license on a different motherboard costs more.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ $90.00

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-2GBNQ -- $22.99

Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -- $44.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.00
  2. thanks for the reply, i guess i didn't know that i could buy an oem copy of windows, i thought the only copy i could get was the $199 one that you can transfer between computers. So other than the ram not being compatable with the new motherboard all my other hardware should work? Do you think there is any chance that my processor is the problem? any better way to diagnose and be sure?
  3. tempted to just buy a new pc, found a p7-1439 hp for $499 seems like a good enough deal
  4. You may not need a new "anything", it could be that you have applied too much thermal paste and it acts like an insulator rather than a dissipator., you only need a very thin covering of thermal paste.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product