Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What PSU should I get? ~800 dollar build, final revision

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 8:38:47 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: I've already spent $712.32. I would like to stay around 800, but if I have to go above I will.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: So far I've purchased GPU, CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, motherboard, RAM, cooling unit, HDD, and case. I also can salvage a copy of windows 7. Unless I missed something, the only part I should be missing is the PSU.

Preferred Website: Amazon followed by newegg -- whichever has the cheaper price after tax. I do have amazon prime and the free trial of that newegg free shipping thing. Note: I do live in CA. With amazon, no tax; with newegg, tax.

Parts Preferences: For the PSU, preferably antec/corsair or another reputable brand.

Overclocking: Yes, but not too terribly much. Based upon initial research, I was thinking about ~4.4 GHz.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes -- but not initially. My budget only allows for one 6870 card. One of my first upgrades will be a second and then I plan to crossfire.

Monitor Resolution: Initially, 1366x768 or less. I'm salvaging an old monitor. This will be my second upgrade. At that point I plan to grab a 1920x1080 resolution monitor.

Additional Comments: I've browsed the forums quite a bit and found one thread which had a similar build. The question about the PSU was never answered. Otherwise, I can't find builds similar to mine.

Here are the parts that I have purchased:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Note: as I said, only one GPU initially. I plan on buying a second asap.

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Case: Salvaging a 4 year old alienware full tower case with lots of fans and probably an outdated power supply. Optical drive probably isn't compatible with the new mobo, but I have a USB disc drive I can use if that's the case before upgrading to a real drive.

PSU: ?

Initially, I was thinking this 650W Antec but I'm not certain that 650 W will be enough. I've seen in most of the 1000 dollar builds with the i5-2500k and dual GTX 560 Ti's with SLI, people seem to have as high as 850. I realize initially that my build will not require that much power. However, I want to set myself up for when I get that second videocard. If I had to order right now without any help, I would get this 750W by Antec.

So which PSU should I grab? Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Garrett

EDIT: I'm questioning whether or not I put this in the wrong forum (rather than the PSU forum). I apologize if I did.
January 2, 2012 8:52:35 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-...
Shows a system with an OC'd i7-920 (a stock Nehalem i7 should consume more than an OC'd Sandy Bridge i5) and two 6870s drawing 481W at the wall under a Furmark load.
So there is no question that 650W is enough for a build with two 6870s. But you will need a PSU with four PCIe connectors. Which the Antec Earthwatts Green EA-650 doesn't have. The 750W version does.

This is probably the cheapest ~650W PSU with four PCIe connectors that is high quality that I know of:
XFX Pro 650W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $75 ($20 rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&m...
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2012 9:10:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, why four PCIe connectors? I'm assuming this is due to the motherboard I picked, but I can't say I see the connection from looking through the details listed.
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:17:47 PM

A 6870 needs two 6pin PCIe connectors.
m
l
January 2, 2012 10:50:33 PM

Got it, so that's for GPU. One last question, would there be any cons with going 750W? The Antec 750W is very close in price.

I apologize for questioning your advice, I'm just trying to be cautious. I guess I just want reassurance that 650 is more than enough before I spend more money.

EDIT: Would 650W still work if I were to add more hard drives down the road also? Such as transferring my OS to an SSD and using the mechanical HD for storage?
m
l

Best solution

January 2, 2012 11:12:56 PM

Nope, no cons with going for the 750w. I think you should buy that one, as it will give you more flexibility further down the road. And yea lol btw just in case you wanna know- a 2600k with 2-way SLI on a pair of GTX 580's will run you 525w on full load from the wall. I thought that was pretty cool, and instantly realized that I wasted a LOT of money getting my 1050w 80 plus silver PSU... Ah well =P It better last me a long time lol. Anyways, its a nice system your building there. My only con is that maybe you should get a gtx 560 or gtx 560 ti... but since your planning on crossfiring those 6870's anyways you might as well go for that instead. It should be more than enough power to play just about any game out on High-Ultra settings.

Last thing, I completely recommend going with a 23" monitor (I have one and it's from Asus... and it's amazingly amazing).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I just saw your edit. Yes, 650W will be more than enough even with 5 mechanical hard drives. They don't use much wattage. But, like I said, I would go ahead and grab the 750w anyways so that you can be assured it'll be enough to run just about anything you choose to upgrade to.

Good Luck with the build!

-Neutral

EDIT: Lol just a little random thing I wanted to say. You know all those ads you see that highlight your words in blue and when you mouse over one it'll say "Looking for [highlighted word here]?" ? Well, I accidentally moused over one earlier today and it said "Looking for a Bad Company?" with the company's "SN" logo below it... lol I laughed my a$$ off at that. Anyways just something random.
January 2, 2012 11:23:01 PM

Thanks for the response. That's a very beautiful monitor. I'll have to bookmark that and keep it in mind in a month or so when I grab a new monitor.

And actually I initially planned on going with a single 560ti and then grabbing a second one as my upgrade. However, since newegg was selling the 6870 for 165 with a 15 dollar mail in rebate, that's an 85 dollar difference from the 560Ti.

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do but I'm leaning towards that 650W now that I know for certain that it's more than enough.

Unfortunately the website listed with the 650W XFX one is out of stock. Perhaps if I find one with 4 PCI slots for a better price than the 750W one I'll go with it (assuming it's a reputable brand). If not, I'll probably just grab the Antec 750W.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. This forum is truly a godsend.
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:31:50 PM

mathgod said:
Thanks for the response. That's a very beautiful monitor. I'll have to bookmark that and keep it in mind in a month or so when I grab a new monitor.

And actually I initially planned on going with a single 560ti and then grabbing a second one as my upgrade. However, since newegg was selling the 6870 for 165 with a 15 dollar mail in rebate, that's an 85 dollar difference from the 560Ti.

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do but I'm leaning towards that 650W now that I know for certain that it's more than enough.

Unfortunately the website listed with the 650W XFX one is out of stock. Perhaps if I find one with 4 PCI slots for a better price than the 750W one I'll go with it (assuming it's a reputable brand). If not, I'll probably just grab the Antec 750W.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. This forum is truly a godsend.

750 is more than u need today, but its great PSU and even 3 years later if u upgrade it does not have to be exchanged.

It runs cooler, as it does not running near the capacity and therefore it is more quiet as well.

Ant it will run also longer, because it has more headroom than it needs. PSU starts to fail sooner because ti runs hot and close to the limit. So, to have some Watts spare, its just good for u.

Also it create less heat in the case and that is good for HDD. Every little thing counts.

O, and it is cheaper today.

There will be time when u will come to the limit of the PSU. One day : )
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:37:29 PM

Hmm. That's true also. If I went with the Antec PSU you listed, I would also need to grab a power cord for a few bucks, right?
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:38:05 PM

Oh, definitely go with the Antec 750w. It's $75.99 after rebate, which is a great price for that good of a psu. If you still want that xfx 650w psu you can get it at $64.99 after rebate. I completely agree with nikorr.
It'll run cooler, quieter, will last longer, and gives you more flexibility in terms of upgrading. I'd say go for it.

EDIT: And yes, I completely agree with you. This forum IS a godsend. :D  I luv it.
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:38:23 PM

mathgod said:
Hmm. That's true also. If I went with the Antec PSU you listed, I would also need to grab a power cord for a few bucks, right?

No, it comes with it.
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:39:16 PM

Nope, it does come with it.
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:45:37 PM

Is this the power cord? It comes with it.

Don't Compromise - Save Energy and Maximize Performance

Get more power and lower your electric bill with the new EarthWatts 750. One of the most environmentally friendly power supplies available, Antec's EarthWatts 750 efficiently delivers 750 watts of reliable and stable power while meeting 80 PLUS® certification, the highest standard in energy efficiency. That means the EarthWatts 750 consumes up to 33% less energy than an equivalent power supply with absolutely no reduction in performance. Plus, the EarthWatts 750 boasts Universal Input to automatically work on any power grid on the planet, and a 135mm fan to stay cool. Get the power you need, save money and help protect the environment with Antec's EarthWatts 750!

Features:

80 PLUS® certified: reduces operating costs and protects the environment
ATX12V version 2.3
Universal Input
NVIDIA™ SLI™-ready certified
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
Advanced Hybrid Cable Management improves airflow and reduces clutter
Four 12V output circuits provide added system stability
135mm low noise cooling fan
Industrial grade protection: OVP (Over Voltage Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OCP (Over Current Protection)
9 SATA connectors
2 x 8-pin (6+2) and 2 x 6-pin PCI-E connectors

m
l
January 3, 2012 12:29:45 AM

Well, you've sold me. Going with the 750W Antec for longevity.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:28:04 AM

The whole Antec Earthwatts line do not come with power cords, so either you reuse one you've already got or you buy one.
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:31:53 AM

Silvune said:
The whole Antec Earthwatts line do not come with power cords, so either you reuse one you've already got or you buy one.

I bought one EA-430D GREEN in Frys and was with power cable, 4 mo ago.
m
l
January 9, 2012 11:25:23 PM

Best answer selected by mathgod.
m
l
!