Burnout Problems

mo

Hi,
I'm playing Burnout on the PS2, and it keeps freezing half way through
levels. It will pause for maybe 4, 5 seconds, kick back in for the same
amount of time and then pause again. I've changed the game at the shop, and
the second copy also behaves in the same way. I've got about 15 games, and
all of the others are just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening? Is
there a known problem with the game? Have the Gods of Arcade Racers decreed
that I shall never play the damn thing?
Any help appreciated.

mo

mo wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm playing Burnout on the PS2, and it keeps freezing half way through
> levels. It will pause for maybe 4, 5 seconds, kick back in for the same
> amount of time and then pause again. I've changed the game at the shop, and
> the second copy also behaves in the same way. I've got about 15 games, and
> all of the others are just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening? Is
> there a known problem with the game? Have the Gods of Arcade Racers decreed
> that I shall never play the damn thing?
> Any help appreciated.
>
> mo

I had a similiar problem with my xbox version of burnout. The races
where you have more than one section, the ground would just disappear
and of course your car would crash. I thought it was the machine as it
has been glitch but after looking on the net I found a few others had
suffered from it and in the xbox group a couple said take it back as
they had to try more than one copy to get one which worked with their
machine... we returned it and the next one is perfect.

Is your ps2 old? Has it started making a sort of grinding noise just
before this crash? If not the likely thing is just a compatibility
thing. You could always ask to try one or two more and see if you
manage to flow through the problem

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

mo

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> mo wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm playing Burnout on the PS2, and it keeps freezing half way through
> > levels. It will pause for maybe 4, 5 seconds, kick back in for the same
> > amount of time and then pause again. I've changed the game at the shop,
and
> > the second copy also behaves in the same way. I've got about 15 games,
and
> > all of the others are just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Is
> > there a known problem with the game? Have the Gods of Arcade Racers
decreed
> > that I shall never play the damn thing?
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > mo
>
> I had a similiar problem with my xbox version of burnout. The races
> where you have more than one section, the ground would just disappear
> and of course your car would crash. I thought it was the machine as it
> has been glitch but after looking on the net I found a few others had
> suffered from it and in the xbox group a couple said take it back as
> they had to try more than one copy to get one which worked with their
> machine... we returned it and the next one is perfect.
>
> Is your ps2 old? Has it started making a sort of grinding noise just
> before this crash? If not the likely thing is just a compatibility
> thing. You could always ask to try one or two more and see if you
> manage to flow through the problem
>
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

Nice one, thanks.
You got it spot on really. The floor will vanish, leaving the car suspended
in space for a period, before it bursts back into life and - what do you
know - you've crashed out in spectacular style! Becomes tiresome very
quickly :)
The PS2 is a couple of years old now, and can be a little tetchy!
Guessed it may be a compatibility quirk - cheers for the confirmation

mo

mo wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > mo wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm playing Burnout on the PS2, and it keeps freezing half way through
> > > levels. It will pause for maybe 4, 5 seconds, kick back in for the same
> > > amount of time and then pause again. I've changed the game at the shop,
> and
> > > the second copy also behaves in the same way. I've got about 15 games,
> and
> > > all of the others are just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?
> Is
> > > there a known problem with the game? Have the Gods of Arcade Racers
> decreed
> > > that I shall never play the damn thing?
> > > Any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > mo
> >
> > I had a similiar problem with my xbox version of burnout. The races
> > where you have more than one section, the ground would just disappear
> > and of course your car would crash. I thought it was the machine as it
> > has been glitch but after looking on the net I found a few others had
> > suffered from it and in the xbox group a couple said take it back as
> > they had to try more than one copy to get one which worked with their
> > machine... we returned it and the next one is perfect.
> >
> > Is your ps2 old? Has it started making a sort of grinding noise just
> > before this crash? If not the likely thing is just a compatibility
> > thing. You could always ask to try one or two more and see if you
> > manage to flow through the problem
> >
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> Nice one, thanks.
> You got it spot on really. The floor will vanish, leaving the car suspended
> in space for a period, before it bursts back into life and - what do you
> know - you've crashed out in spectacular style! Becomes tiresome very
> quickly :)
> The PS2 is a couple of years old now, and can be a little tetchy!
> Guessed it may be a compatibility quirk - cheers for the confirmation
>
> mo

That's okay mo, nowt worse than being left dangling :O)

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've had the same problem with many other EA games on my xbox, although
my burnout works perfectly. I think EA may use a different material from
other manufacturers for their cds. Twice with Madden I've had to exchange
my original discs for others. It's almost like the discs are too light
and end up 'wobbling' in the drive. Thus the PS2/XBox has to make
multiple passes to read the data it needs and it slows down some. In each
case exchanging the discs fixes the problem. In your case, you may have
been unlucky and gotten two bad discs in a row ..

Rob