Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New build - thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 2, 2012 9:28:16 PM

Good evening,

Ready to pull the trigger on a new build. Any critical feedback would be appreciated. Usage will be for games and other things non-productive. Thanks...

i5-2500K

8gb Kingston Hyper-X 1600mhz

eVGA 580 1.5 mb Superclocked

GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System

Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case

Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

120 GB ADATA S511 SATA-III SSD

Generic 500GB SATA-II 7,200 RPM HDD for storage

LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player

Aerocool V12XT Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control

~ 1,530 dead presidents

Thought about a Gen 3 mobo, but I understand only Ivy Bridge silicon will take advantage of Gen 3

Again, any feedback is appreciated.

Happy New Year...

More about : build thoughts

January 2, 2012 9:38:56 PM

the RAM should be 1.5 volt or less

Water cooling is a waste of time when so many air cooler perform better and are quieter

Raidmax is not a top tier psu manufacturer . Corsair , seasonic , PC Power and cooling , enermax
Score
0

Best solution

January 2, 2012 9:54:55 PM

The processor is good.

The RAM is perfect (hits the sweet spot).

I've said this to many, many others. Just because the gtx 580 is the #1 single-core video card on the market doesn't mean that it's #1 by a long shot. Unless you care about very slightly better RAM and 32 more cores, save yourself $150 and grab a 570.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Nice motherboard there. It has an option for x8/x8 and has SLI. The reason you might want a Gen 3 MoBo isn't because of the new processors, it's because of the new video cards. Some time in the next 1-3 months nVidia is releasing their new 600 series cards, which are better than the 500 cards (not by too much though). Its all about if you have patience or not. If you don't, you'll be fine with a gtx 570 (or 580 if you choose to do so but I really do recommend the 570). All up to you.

Decent water-cooling by a good company. I personally prefer air cooling just cuz. But keep in mind just because it has water in it to cool your cpu doesn't necessarily mean it's better than an air-cooled system. For instance, no water cooler can beat the Noctua NH-C14 heat sync.

The case... You're going to be regretting getting that case if you choose to... from what I see there is no cable management whatsoever. With a build like this I think you should spend some more money on a case. Check out some Corsair cases. Here are some good ones.

400R- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

500R- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 500R comes in white, too.
600T- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 600T comes in white, too.
650D- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

800D- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The PSU seems fine.

The fan controller. I never trust companies that come out with touch screen products less than $200, as they tend to be less reliable and hard to control due to the cheap touch screen panel. I prefer knobs. Here's a good controller from a reputable and trusted company, Scythe.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's just about it. Good Luck with the build! If you have any more question I'd be glad to answer them.
Share
Related resources
January 2, 2012 9:56:21 PM

Outlander_04 said:
the RAM should be 1.5 volt or less

Water cooling is a waste of time when so many air cooler perform better and are quieter

Raidmax is not a top tier psu manufacturer . Corsair , seasonic , PC Power and cooling , enermax



Appreciate the feedback bro - I saw Raidmax is a middle of road PSU. I may SLI downstream, for which I will pony up. I will OC at some point, hence the H20...
Score
0
January 2, 2012 10:09:18 PM

I'd wait a little bit and make it an Ivy Bridge system. You seem to want the best without going over the top and when waiting 4 months should be able to get you Ivy Bridge for the same price, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. This is especially true if you are into video... I understand Ivy Bridge Chipsets will allow for QuickSync 2 even if you are hooked up to your video card... it might also drop your hard drive price/increase its capacity.
Score
0
January 2, 2012 10:13:04 PM

NeutralEnergy said:
The processor is good.

The RAM is perfect (hits the sweet spot).

I've said this to many, many others. Just because the gtx 580 is the #1 single-core video card on the market doesn't mean that it's #1 by a long shot. Unless you care about very slightly better RAM and 32 more cores, save yourself $150 and grab a 570.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Nice motherboard there. It has an option for x8/x8 and has SLI. The reason you might want a Gen 3 MoBo isn't because of the new processors, it's because of the new video cards. Some time in the next 1-3 months nVidia is releasing their new 600 series cards, which are better than the 500 cards (not by too much though). Its all about if you have patience or not. If you don't, you'll be fine with a gtx 570 (or 580 if you choose to do so but I really do recommend the 570). All up to you.

Decent water-cooling by a good company. I personally prefer air cooling just cuz. But keep in mind just because it has water in it to cool your cpu doesn't necessarily mean it's better than an air-cooled system. For instance, no water cooler can beat the Noctua NH-C14 heat sync.

The case... You're going to be regretting getting that case if you choose to... from what I see there is no cable management whatsoever. With a build like this I think you should spend some more money on a case. Check out some Corsair cases. Here are some good ones.

400R- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

500R- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 500R comes in white, too.
600T- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 600T comes in white, too.
650D- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

800D- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The PSU seems fine.

The fan controller. I never trust companies that come out with touch screen products less than $200, as they tend to be less reliable and hard to control due to the cheap touch screen panel. I prefer knobs. Here's a good controller from a reputable and trusted company, Scythe.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's just about it. Good Luck with the build! If you have any more question I'd be glad to answer them.


Great feedback, NeutralEnergy - I appreciate it.

Good point on the 570 - I will be running one monitor at 1920 res. eVGA has a 570 1.2 gb Superclocked for quite a bit less - SLI'ing in the future should keep me reasonably current with that model. Relative to the case - looked kinda sexy online (don't they all) - will reassess my decision there. I here ya about the fan controller (again, looked kinda blingy - maybe I should find a fan controller sticker and slap it on the front and save 48 bucks ;-)

Thanks again, happy New Year to you and yours...


Score
0
January 2, 2012 11:23:08 PM

Appreciate all the feedback. Final thought - with the money saved (thx NeutralEnergy) on the 570, is the 2600K a worthy option @ 100 bucks for future-proofing (some Photoshop, Office, Lotus Notes, Blu-ray - otherwise time-wasting activities)...
Score
0
January 2, 2012 11:49:02 PM

Best answer selected by martinpm.
Score
0
January 3, 2012 12:02:11 AM

No, its not worth the extra $100. They are practically the same processors. One is rated at 0.1 GHz higher and has very small upgrades. I really would just stick with the 2500k.

With the saved money What I would do is use some of it on a really good mouse. If you don't have smaller-than-average hands, I really recommend going with the Razer Naga. One hell of a mouse (I'm using it right now). Not just for gaming. Just for precision in general (and speed, too if you want it)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, if your looking at getting a good keyboard. Although expensive, it's a really good keyboard from Corsair, a great company. Uses Cherry switches (which I have experienced before and let me tell you, I was addicted). I don't have this one yet but I'm getting it soon(MMO version).
FPS Version-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MMO Version- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And btw no problem! Glad to help!
Score
0
January 3, 2012 12:20:41 AM

NeutralEnergy said:
No, its not worth the extra $100. They are practically the same processors. One is rated at 0.1 GHz higher and has very small upgrades. I really would just stick with the 2500k.

With the saved money What I would do is use some of it on a really good mouse. If you don't have smaller-than-average hands, I really recommend going with the Razer Naga. One hell of a mouse (I'm using it right now). Not just for gaming. Just for precision in general (and speed, too if you want it)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, if your looking at getting a good keyboard. Although expensive, it's a really good keyboard from Corsair, a great company. Uses Cherry switches (which I have experienced before and let me tell you, I was addicted). I don't have this one yet but I'm getting it soon(MMO version).
FPS Version-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MMO Version- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And btw no problem! Glad to help!



Again, appreciate the feedback brotherman. Peace out...
Score
0
January 3, 2012 2:07:20 AM

Appreciate the feedback, aspleme - waiting will indeed allow technology to unfold ( Ivy Bridge, nVidia 600 series etc...) I guess this is a "me" moment - just ready to take the plunge...
Score
0
!