Sign in with
Your question

Need to rebuild my dell xps 600 with a new after market mother board

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 9:29:43 PM

I Could realy use some tips on how to go about replacing the mother board in a dell xps 600 with an after market board (dell is rediculously expensive) any sugjestions would be amazing.
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2012 12:15:01 AM

This manual gives you a step by step for 'system board' removal. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps600/en...

It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish.

It could be
1. I want to build a much stronger system so I am getting a new MB, CPU, Memory
2. I want to replace a failed MB. This is how I know the MB (and not the PSU or CPU or Memory, or PCI card) failed. I want to reuse the same CPU which is this one.

Can you post the specs on your particular XPS 600 ?

Here is at least one XPS 600 config, maybe you can use this as a startign point.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2; 3.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 670; Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI Intel Edition chipset; 1,024MB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz; 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX (PCIe SLI); two Hitachi HDS725050KLA360 500GB 7,200rpm Serial ATA; integrated Nvidia Nforce 4 Intel Edition SATA RAID Controller (RAID 0)

January 3, 2012 3:31:34 AM

The reason it's expensive is because the demand for a Pentium compatible motherboard is so low that the the price is ridiculously expensive. Intel stopped manufacturing that chip years ago. Your only chance would be to pick up a used mobo from ebay or craigslist. The hardware is so old I would recommend using this as a chance to lay that rig to rest and move onto something else. Put it this way, the cheapest pc you could buy at a store like bestbuy would be more powerful than what you currently own. It's really not worth repairing unless you can get it fixed for under $50.
January 3, 2012 3:36:34 AM

mpain55 said:
The reason it's expensive is because the demand for a Pentium compatible motherboard is so low that the the price is ridiculously expensive. Intel stopped manufacturing that chip years ago. Your only chance would be to pick up a used mobo from ebay or craigslist. The hardware is so old I would recommend using this as a chance to lay that rig to rest and move onto something else. Put it this way, the cheapest pc you could buy at a store like bestbuy would be more powerful than what you currently own. It's really not worth repairing unless you can get it fixed for under $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$49.99. Granted, the screw holes may not line in that case, but replacing old hardware isn't as expensive as people keep thinking it is. Harder to find, sure. Expensive? Not always.
!