Which SATA ports should I be using?

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, just a quick question. I am looking at building a new pc. I have chosen all of the parts already except the the motherboard. The one that I am looking at is here http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-b75a-g43-intel-b75-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-(vga)-dvi-d-hdmi-atx When I first get my PC I am going to be using 1 500gb 7200rpm Hard drive and a 24x dvd drive. What am going to do first is plug the HDD in the SATA 3 and the dvd in to the SATA 2. Hopefully in the future I will get a blu ray reader. It does not need to write but I would like to be able to watch blu-rays on my 1080p monitor. When I get the blu-ray drive will that need to go into the SATA 3 or would be it ok in the SATA 2. If it has to go into the SATA 3 will plugging a 7200rpm HDD be affected by the SATA 2. I know an SSD would be but I don't know about the HDD.

Thanks for any info or replies.

Which processor are you going to be using? If you are going to be using one like the Intel® Core™ i3-3220 you should be fine with that entry level business board. However if you are looking to do some overclocking with the Intel Core i5-3570K you are going to need a board based off the Z75 or Z77 chipset. Maybe one like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 would fill your needs well.