Is 850W of power enough?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Corsair
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2012 10:00:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of building my first gaming / performance machine. To date these are my specs;

MSI P67A-GD65
Cooler Master V8
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair XMS 8GB
Icy Box Multi Card Reader
WD 1.5TB Green
WD 800GB Green

I've plan to purchase the Corsair AX850 next, then the Corsair 120gb Force Series SSD, hen the Plextor PX-890SA, MSI GTX 560ti Twn Frzr 2 OC & Windows 7 Home Prem.

I'm planning to assign my hard drives separately for my music, photos, movies & games. Apart from my movies I'll be happy with a few extra 1TB or less capacity drives. I've decided not to opt for a second graphics card as I learnt that Adobe doesn't recognise SLI. But will the Corsair AX850 psu still be enough to run 5 hard drives, an SSD & a graphics card? I'm also planning to buy the Asus PA238Q monitor to use alongside with my existing 19" HP monitor?

Thanks for your help.

More about : 850w power

January 2, 2012 10:21:20 PM

Why would you want more than one physical HDD, when you can split one into multiple "virtual" drives? You can get a 2TB or a 3TB drive, and that would be A LOT. I currently have 700GB taken up, that's about 60 games, quite a bit of music and some movies. Also, HDDs are VERY expensive because of the floods in Thailand, and the prices should come down some time in spring. 850W is enough for SLI, let alone a single GPU. If you still want some headroom, you could go for a 650W PSU by Corsair (TX650, TX750), Seasonic, Antec...

Also, the CM V8 is kind of overpriced for what you get, it's better to go with a Hyper 212 EVO or +. If you want to go in the hydro cooled direction, Corsair has some nice kits (H60, H80).

You could go with a Z68 instead of a P67 motherboard, which has more features.
January 2, 2012 10:25:31 PM

850W is more than enough power, the graphics card you mention requires a 500W power supply and that includes the power required for a typical system. Many of the cheap power supplies from China Rated at 650W or 850W can supply nowhere near their rated power and should be avoided, buy a good bronze star or better 650W or more power supply.
Related resources
January 2, 2012 10:26:04 PM

demoose said:
Hi there,

I'm in the middle of building my first gaming / performance machine. To date these are my specs;

MSI P67A-GD65
Cooler Master V8
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair XMS 8GB
Icy Box Multi Card Reader
WD 1.5TB Green
WD 800GB Green

I've plan to purchase the Corsair AX850 next, then the Corsair 120gb Force Series SSD, hen the Plextor PX-890SA, MSI GTX 560ti Twn Frzr 2 OC & Windows 7 Home Prem.

I'm planning to assign my hard drives separately for my music, photos, movies & games. Apart from my movies I'll be happy with a few extra 1TB or less capacity drives. I've decided not to opt for a second graphics card as I learnt that Adobe doesn't recognise SLI. But will the Corsair AX850 psu still be enough to run 5 hard drives, an SSD & a graphics card? I'm also planning to buy the Asus PA238Q monitor to use alongside with my existing 19" HP monitor?

Thanks for your help.

850 should be more than enough, even with five hard drives, maybe even more than you need
January 2, 2012 10:44:11 PM

Ok so... A decked out system with an OCed 2600k and 2 580's in SLI will take up 525w on full load from the wall. Hard Drives take barely any wattage to power. I bet you could stick 20 more 1 TB hard drives and you'll still have more left over. Video Cards are the things that take up a lot of wattage, not Hard Drives. Also, I agree with CamaroZL1 on the fact that you don't get what you payed for with the CM V8. The Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is an amazing heat sync (I'm using it right now). Also, you seem to be under the impression that the wattage to power your monitor comes from the computer. It doesn't. Monitors come with their own power cord. You might want to also consider saving some money and buying a Corsair TX850 instead, depending on how good you case can do cable management. Otherwise, the AX850 is a great option. It's up to you whether or not yo want a Z68 board instead. Also, just a heads up. I personally prefer not to get MSI boards as they tend to be buggy. I tried AsRock and they're buggy too (according to myself and other reviews I've read). I don't know about you but I'm sticking strictly to Asus and Gigabyte boards as they come with helpful features and are usually not DOA or buggy.

It's a nice video card you're getting there. Be sure you buy the OCed edition, otherwise your just wasting money on the Twin Frozr II cooler. If you dont want it OCed then go with something like a stock EVGA gtx 560 ti. Also, EVGA has a great step-up program (see here- http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ ). All up to you. The GPUs are all the same in those cards.

Good Luck with the Build! Feel to ask any more questions! I'd be glad to answer them.
January 3, 2012 6:51:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. What a great idea to split the hard drives. I'd never even thought of that. As for the CM V8 and the P67 I've purchased them already so sadly can't change them. I made the error of purchasing new components before joining Toms Hardare forum. At least I'm made aware of any future components I will be buying.
January 3, 2012 6:56:43 AM

Yes I felt that having reviewed many power supplies the AX850 seemed to come out top. Even if I were to consider adding a second graphics card at a later time at least I wouldn't have to upgrade my psu as well.

Thanks for your reply.
January 3, 2012 10:46:18 AM

You need to be careful about partitioning the drives. If you lose one drive, you have lost everything.

I have three desktop systems in my personal network.

My gaming system has one 640 WD Black divided into two partitions plus two 1 TB WD Greens. That one is a bit of overkill.

My multimedia desktop has a 640 WD Black subdivided plus another two 1 TB WD Greens for storage. I am getting ready to replace those two drives with a couple of 2 TB WD Greens.

My workhorse system has "only" a 500 GB WD Blue in it. But one of the 1 TB Greens will also go into it.

Not everyone needs, wants, or has 9 TB of storage (plus another 5 TB in external drives :) ), but running one drive, partitioned or not, puts all of your eggs in one basket.

January 3, 2012 9:22:12 PM

What are the benefits of splitting off a Hard Drive into many Partitions?
!