NEED advice, is this a good build?

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hello guys I'm building my first computer and these are that parts I have picked out so far please tell me if this will be a powerful gaming pc.

Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)

I5-3570k

AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4

670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card

Samsung 24x SATA DVD¡ARW Internal Drive without Software, Black SH-224BB/BEBE

Acer G276HL Dbd 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Solution
Yes, it's all compatible, those parts are god ones, though, there's no mention of the ram, but i guess you'll have it, by the way, if you don't, you just need 8GB of ram, a dual channel kit of 8GB at 1600 mhz and with no more than 1.5v is what you need.
The psu is overkill, unless you plan to add another 670 gtx, if you don't, get a psu within 550-600w.
Yes, it's all compatible, those parts are god ones, though, there's no mention of the ram, but i guess you'll have it, by the way, if you don't, you just need 8GB of ram, a dual channel kit of 8GB at 1600 mhz and with no more than 1.5v is what you need.
The psu is overkill, unless you plan to add another 670 gtx, if you don't, get a psu within 550-600w.

Solution

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well that's a really good build so really nothing negative to say about it. Like the previous poster pointed out if you don't plan on sli you can save a few bucks by gettings a high quality 500w-600w but then again is always good to know that you have the option to pop in another gpu. Really for gaming you won't really use more then 4gb of ram but ram is cheap so get 8gb just in case of any future ram hungry game come out. lol

Also from personal experience I would choose a motherboard from asus and gigabyte. I had bad experiences with Asrock tech support. That said you may not have a problem with that board but check out the warranty before buying. Make sure it's at least 2 years. Asrock only offer one year warranty on most there boards while other companies normally have 3 years.

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Do you think I should get the 680? Or stick with the 670.
The same with the i5 or i7

You don't need the i7 for gaming, the hyper threading of the i7 doesn't get used in gaming, and the 670 gtx is the best choice, the performance difference is minimal and in terms of price the 670 gtx is much more cheaper, the 670 is a good value for $ per performance.
I would stay with the asrock z77 extreme 4, it's a good board, most people nowadays complain a lot by the tech support from asus, and it's false, the asrock offers the same warranty, 3 years.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Well if you have the money for a 680 then get it. You will not have to worry about buying another graphics card for awhile. Gtx 670 is a really good card but the 680 is amazing! As far as the i5 or i7 if you plan on using this computer for just gaming then their will be no benefit in buying an i7. So i would stick with the i5 cause its pretty much gives you the same performance probably a tad bit slower but not slow enough for you to dish out $100+ on a cpu that's is only marginally better. Unless if you do plan on doing some pretty heavy video editing then the i7 would make more sense to get.

If you are getting the i5 3570k makes sure you buy a aftermarket heatsink so you can overclock the hell out of it! lol
coolermaster 212 evo is a really good cheap cpu cooler.

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Do you think I should get an SSD? As well as my 1 tb hd?

If you can afford it, yes, a 120/128GB ssd will a good choice for a new system, look for the Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB, the Sandisk extreme or ultra plus 120/128GB and the plextor m5s 128GB for lower priced ssd, but fast and reliable.
Or the Samsung 840 pro 128GB if you can afford it.

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Just to clarify, I would make the SSD the primary and put the OS on it?

And when buying an OS should i get the full version or builder?

Thanks!

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Another noob question for you, in order to have a connection to my wireless router what do I need?

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Just to point out the difference between the 2 windows 7 copies you have posted.

First link is a oem copy of windows 7 which means it's attache to your motherboard so if you ever decide to upgrade your motherboard or to a new cpu socket you will need to buy another copy of windows 7.

the second link of windows 7 is the full retail version which means you won't have to buy another copy of windows if you decide to upgrade motherboards or new cpu socket.
If you plan on upgrading to new intel cpu's in the future it may save you money paying the extra cash. If not then buy then oem version.

I figure you should know the difference before making up your mind.

Jakevalerio

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Question!

I just found out I can get a free download for win7 because I'm a student how would I go about getting this download onto my new build?