HD6850 in a min itx

chyaweth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hi,

I'm thinking of an upgrade/rebuild/restart and I want to downsize on the physical "box of tricks" :)

I'm not sure which way to jump regarding Intel/AMD but do have an HD6850 card that does everything I need.
(3*24"@1920x1080)

Can anyone advise me on a mini itx board that'll take my HD6850 card? (If there is one :??: )
I only need the minimum hard drive storage onboard because I keep all my data on a NAS.

Cheers

Just about every ITX motherboard will have a single pcie-X16 slot that will hold your graphics card.
The asusP8Z77-I Deluxe is probably the best at $185 or $200 with wifi.
But, I would also look at the asrock z77 ITX board @$150.

The more interesting questiion is how small can you go on the case.
A nice large one might be the bitfenix prodigy.
One of my favorites is the Lian li PC-Q08.
Those two will hold a very long graphics card.

chyaweth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I do see that most ITX have a single pcie-x16 slot but my HD6850 takes up two slots. That was what was worrying me.

chyaweth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I notice the two MBs quoted have HDMI, DVI, and Displayport. Does this mean that if I get the right cpu my HD6850 would be redundant and I could run my three screens direct off the MB?

Any card will use only the single pci-e X16 graphics slot.
It is a matter of case design if there is room for the second space to allow for the exhaust out put of a dual slot card.

The lian li Q08, and bitfenix prodigy for example have space for such a graphics card.
Look at the rear view, and you will see two slots.

It takes a higher end modern card, like a GTX670 to be able to use all the outputs it has. I don't know about your 6850. Most older or lower end cards can only support two out of the three or 4 outputs that are present. If your usage is triple monitor gaming, you will want a high end card anyway. If, on the other hand, you gaming will be done on one primary monitor, and the other two are just side monitors, then attach the side monitors to the motherboard and game on the monitor attached to the discrete graphics card.

chyaweth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Thank Geofelt, I understand what you're saying about the "physicality" of finding the space for a dual slot card.

What I don't know is is whether or not I'd need the HD6850. I'm not a gamer and use my three screens for, e.g., cross referencing Word, Excel, and internet data; one per screen.

I'm unfamiliar with the Intel range of processors but (think) I've read that if I get the right one I ought to be able to achieve what I want by connecting my three screen directly to the MB sockets without the need for the HD6850.

Am I correct?

Ta