Sign in with
Your question

Is my ram DOA?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 21, 2013 6:09:59 PM

I bought all new parts for my first home-build. I have friends put it together (both have had much past experience building PCs), and everything seemed fine. However, when I started it up, all the fans and lights turned on, but I didn't get any beeps or output. I tired everything and troubleshot the hell out of it. Finally, I figured my Motherboard was DOA. So I sent back the old one and invested in a more expensive one.
Again, I put everything together, and the exact same thing happened. All the fans turned on, lights turned on, but no beeps and no output. So I did some more digging.
I read somewhere that if your RAM is totally dead, it won't even give you an error beep. Could both sticks of my ram really be dead? I tried them both in both slots of the motherboard, and nothing. I'm starting to think thats all it is.
What do you think??

More about : ram doa

February 21, 2013 6:20:20 PM

Battury said:
So I did some more digging.
I read somewhere that if your RAM is totally dead, it won't even give you an error beep.?

I don't know if that is actually true. Ive had bad ram sticks still give me ram errors/beeps before.
But im sure it could be different for different boards. Anyways... before investing any more money go through all of these steps methodically one by one. Don't skip any no matter how trivial they may seem. Report back what you find.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
a c 90 } Memory
February 21, 2013 6:21:51 PM

most new mb dont have speakers on them any more so they dont beep unless you instal a case speakers. with new builds first thing is to check that the cpu and mb will post with the bios on the mb. (some mb wont post without a bios update for ib cpu). if the mb bios rev is fine. then make sure the 4/8 pin atx power is connected and you used standoffs to keep the mb from shorting out. a lot of time my wont post do to the i\o shield short or some part of the mb shorting to the case. also a lot of new mb the first boot device is set for the onboard video chipset. with ram you should check the mb vendor qal list or the ram vendor tested list to see if the ram been tested to work with your mb.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2013 8:11:08 PM

unoriginal1 said:
before investing any more money go through all of these steps methodically one by one. Don't skip any no matter how trivial they may seem. Report back what you find.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Went through the whole checklist before even posting here, but thank you. Unfortunately, I tried using an old speaker, but I think it was dead. I guess I just want this to be fixed right away.. should I just buy a new speaker for my mb and wait for it to get in before RMAing my RAM?
m
l
a c 90 } Memory
February 22, 2013 12:25:58 AM

what your system set up and have you tried breadboard the pc outside the case??
m
l
!