Solved

What optical drive should I get?

This may sound stupid but what drive should I get? Theres cd rom, dvd rom, cd and dvd rom, dvd rrw, dvd rw etc.
I play video games and put music discs in my computer and I am getting a new one via building my own. I am a newbie at optical drives. D:
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what optical drive
  1. My two favorites are Samsung, closely followed by LG.
  2. optical drives don't matter that much...pretty much just use it one time for Windows OS disk. just get a DVD rw combo drive stuff like that. They're usually the ones around $20.
  3. i picked up a cheap sony one for the same price as the lg and samsung drives

i usually use steam though or make an image of my game so i run it from that though as its anoying how loud dvd drive is

(yes hdd spinning is louder than the fans in my case)

as long as you go for a big brand e.g. one you have heard of like, samsunf,lg,sony etc then it doesnt really matter what you pick up
  4. Best answer
    You want a Writer, not a ROM (read only) DVD drive.
    DVD-RW:
    .. My preference is LG, pioneer, and samsung, Do not recommend Lite-on
    .. Lightscribe is a plus, only if you want to label your disk that you write to.

Blu-ray - Only if you want to watch Blu-ray on your computer, or want the increased write capacity. More expensive and Two Flavors.
    .. Blu-ray Rom/DVD-RW. Will play blue-ray (Can not write to Blu-ray) and will read/write to DVDs and CDs
    .. Blu-ray RE/DVD-RW - read/write Blue-ray disk, DVD disk and CDs
  5. Best answer selected by SpaceMilk.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Optical Media CD-Rom Components