Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade from Radeon HD 5870 for BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 5, 2011 11:04:13 AM

Hello everyone

I got an Alienware Aurora sytem dating back from summer of 2010 that I would like to upgrade the GFX card so I could play the latest games such as Battlefield 3 in ultra mode w/ 1920x1080 and eventually in the future when I get my new monitor in 2560x1440. Would buying a GeForce GTX580 or Radeon HD 6990 suffice or is my system and processor already a bit too outdated to take advantage of such cards

Thanks in advance,

Vince

Current Config

Alienware Aurora Standard

Processor : Intel Core i7 Processor 920(2.66GHz,8MB cache,4.8GT/sec)
Graphics : 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card 1 S
PSU: 875w
Memory : 6GB 1333MH
November 5, 2011 11:17:26 AM

InVinnieVeritas said:
Hello everyone

I got an Alienware Aurora sytem dating back from summer of 2010 that I would like to upgrade the GFX card so I could play the latest games such as Battlefield 3 in ultra mode w/ 1920x1080 and eventually in the future when I get my new monitor in 2560x1440. Would buying a GeForce GTX580 or Radeon HD 6990 suffice or is my system and processor already a bit too outdated to take advantage of such cards

Thanks in advance,

Vince

Current Config

Alienware Aurora Standard

Processor : Intel Core i7 Processor 920(2.66GHz,8MB cache,4.8GT/sec)
Graphics : 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card 1 S
PSU: 875w
Memory : 6GB 1333MH



Gtx 580 is much better than hd 6990 but it all depends on your pocket

Gtx 580 cost $554.99 USD

Hd 6990 cost $709.99 USD

for further details check these links

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

for me i am using hd 6950 which is far cheaper than 6990 check the link below and its price is $259.99 USD

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/331?vs=305

so i will go for gtx 580 if i had a choice and bucks in my pocket
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 11:34:46 AM

Quote:
rambaye said:
Gtx 580 is much better than hd 6990 but it all depends on your pocket







R U Crazy MAN???
gtx 580 better than 6990????
have a look-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990-anti...

plz think before you write.6990 is a dual GPU and 580 is single.
go with a 6990 and you will not regret it cause it is the fastest GFX on the planet ATM. :sol:  :wahoo: 
Related resources
November 5, 2011 11:44:08 AM

I'm leaning more on the side of the 6990 coming from a 5870 that I was very happy with but was wondering if it'll run in my model of Alienware Aurora...
November 5, 2011 3:12:01 PM

hellfire24 said:
Quote:







R U Crazy MAN???
gtx 580 better than 6990????
have a look-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990-anti...

plz think before you write.6990 is a dual GPU and 580 is single.
go with a 6990 and you will not regret it cause it is the fastest GFX on the planet ATM. :sol:  :wahoo: 




No doubt its a dual Gpu but how could you neglect the passmark rating s
check these out .

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ [...] on+HD+6990

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ [...] ce+GTX+580

November 5, 2011 3:17:26 PM

hd 6990 is a Power hungry, slower then 6970 in CF, noisy. and for the person how wants to decide between gtx 580 and 6990 will his Intel Core i7 Processor 920 be bottle necked with 6990?? does his power supply meets the hungry 6990 needs ? so
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 3:23:51 PM

The rest of your computer is fine, the i7-920 won't be bottlenecked at all.

What is your budget and how soon are you looking to upgrade?
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 7:22:54 AM

Quote:
rambaye said:
hd 6990 is a Power hungry, slower then 6970 in CF, noisy. and for the person how wants to decide between gtx 580 and 6990 will his Intel Core i7 Processor 920 be bottle necked with 6990?? does his power supply meets the hungry 6990 needs ? so



are you serious LOL???
i know a person who has an alienware with gtx 580s in SLI.they run on 875 watts.(but they are at stock speeds)
a single 6990=2x6970.
AND
6970 crossfire runs well on a 850w PSU.
SO then you better shut your mouth. :non: 
6990 is better than a single gtx 580.
i am not a fanboy.i am using a gtx 580 3 gb and it is a beast but truth remains same.
6990 is expensive but more powerful and 580 is cheaper but less powerful.
:pt1cable:  :kaola:  :p 
November 6, 2011 7:42:52 AM

Warmacblu said:
The rest of your computer is fine, the i7-920 won't be bottlenecked at all.

What is your budget and how soon are you looking to upgrade?



I got around 500 EUR budget for a new card, could be a bit more if it's really worth it. Looking fwd to have it for the holidays at the least.

November 6, 2011 7:51:53 AM

Anyone got an idea if simply popping another 5870 in there to crossfire would do the job?

They are quite cheap on some online stores these days..
January 13, 2012 6:56:17 AM

I was facing same decision, was going to upgrade from i7 930 and a hd 5870. But decided to wait due to next generation cpu's and gpu's (7000 series) coming out in 2012. The i7 920/930 still a powerful chip and the hd 5870 still a very powerful card and will be even in 2012. All I did was overclock my i7 930 and found another hd 5870 on ebay for around 200$ and am now running crossfire. I am playing everything, including battlefield 3 and swtor maxed out on high/ultra on a 30 inch screen. And as far a the...."ahh hd 5870s suck on tessaltion", thats a load of crap. Yea on a stats sheet it might not scale as good as later generation cards in the lab, but still renders it great in real world gaming. Games look beautiful, battlefield 3 is incredible. So, if you haven't already, wait and save your money. Overclock your cpu more (might have to get a better cpu cooler for overclock) and get a crossfire hd5870. You could actually wait and just run the one card on high until you get your 30 in monitor. Otherwise you will have to upgrade again in a year or two if you want latest and greatest.
January 13, 2012 8:08:24 AM

hellfire24 said:
Quote:


go with a 6990 and you will not regret it cause it is the fastest GFX on the planet ATM. :sol:  :wahoo: 


actually that's debatable the gtx 590 is better in some games and the 6990 is better in other but in my opinion the gtx 590 is way better for the fact that the amout of noise the 6990 makes.

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 8:41:21 AM

i would now suggest 7970! :D 
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 4:03:39 PM

7970 all the way buddy ;)  and overclock that 920 to 3.5 and youll be fine for a while
!