Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inspiron 530s Graphic Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 5, 2011 11:35:19 AM

Hi im new to the community so plz be gentle. I have a inspiron 530s and i would like to update my graphics card. I have a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.1 x16 HDMI+DVI Single Slot Low Profile Video Graphics Card. found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1606...

And when i put it in my computer i get a black screen, my computer recognizes it because when i connect it to the mobo then it shows video card recognized please plug in the video card into the screen, which i do via dvi
running windows 7

plz help
November 5, 2011 11:53:38 AM

No expert but this is what I can gather. And this is major bummer news. :( 
Your Inspiron 530s runs Foxconn's G33M02 motherboard. The key thing to look out here is the Intel G33 chipset; the PCI-E slot on it is Version 1.1. From what I've read, the G33 chipset and PCI-E 1.1 do not (really) support the PCI-E 2.1 of your HD5450.
Bad news doesn't stop there, AMD recommends a minimum 400W PSU for the 5450. The Inspiron 530s has only a 250W PSU.
I'd recommend returning the 5450 if you still can. The other option is changing your motherboard and PSU which is a tad bit pricey and not very practical. :( 

I hope this helps.

Note: Dell and Foxconn can be really enthusiast/upgrade unfriendly. Dell not stating the motherboard chipset and Foxconn not stating the PCI-E version. :??: 
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 12:12:34 PM

thanks but i have heard and saw people running the HD5450 on the dell inspiron 530s
m
0
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 12:54:41 PM

iadamc94 said:
thanks but i have heard and saw people running the HD5450 on the dell inspiron 530s

So sorry! I forgot to mention that the PCI-E 2.1 will work on the 1.1, albeit lower bandwidth. Pretty sure you knew that already.
By the way, since you've seen and heard some people running it on the 530s; have you ever asked any of them how they did it? Did they change their PSU perhaps?
Though, I have heard some things about compatibility issues between PCI-E 1.1/1.0 and 2.1. I'm not too sure of the specifics.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 2:17:54 PM

Maybe they updated the bios.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 2:28:16 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Maybe they updated the bios.



i updated the bios and everything
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 4:30:43 PM

Ok I put i put in the card and boot black screen but I can hear windows 7 booting up
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 5:08:17 PM

You don't need to change psu, it's plenty, the issue is pcie version. You need a 2.0 card. Try to return the one you have, you can find plenty of 2.0 cards still on newegg and they are cheaper than the one on ebay. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:01:33 AM

So, my first analysis wasn't all to wrong after all :na: 
Do update on how it goes.
m
0
l
November 12, 2011 11:47:10 PM

hi there, i happen to have a dell inspiron 531s which is almost no difference to yours and, imo the best you could get would be a hd 5570, dont worry it draws less than 60W so you'll be perfectly safe with it, and its better than a 5450. Here's a good 5570:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This one has a fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want a new psu to be able to handle say a 5670 low profile, or slightly better cards, then get this psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im actually getting this psu and a 5670 for my slim pc so good luck!
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 4:09:12 PM

I have the 530s and I've been upgrading it pretty much since I got it. I'll attach my specs below to show you what I'm using with it, but to answer your specific question, have you tried using the old VGA connection from the motherboard to make sure there isn't an issue to begin with? I remember doing this with my card and when it was setup correctly, the next time I rebooted, I went into the BIOS to turn OFF the onboard video card and it worked fine.

Specs for my Dell Inspiron 530s
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 32bit, English
Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor(6MB Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 3 DIMMs
1TB WD Caviar Black - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache (OS)
2TB WD Caviar Green - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache (Data)
1TB Seagate Spinpoint M8 Notebook Drive- 5400RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 8MB Cache (DVR)
LG Electronics GGC-H20LK LightScribe Blu-Ray/HD DVD Combo Drive
HIS Silence H557HR1G Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCard TV Tuner
PointTek TFX 400W Power Supply
Intel PWLA8391GTL Desktop Network Adapter Pro/1000 GT Low Profile
Gyration GYR4101CKUS Air Music Remote with Compact Keyboard
2 Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers for Windows
Sony HT-IS100 Bravia Home Theater System
SAMSUNG LN46A850 LCD TV

BTW, it was getting too hot in my case for my new Ceton card so I added in a low profile pci-slot-fitting dual fan card that dissipates the heat perfectly now. And the last thing I'm going to do this week is get the RAM up to 800MHz.

Hope this helps.
m
0
l
November 15, 2011 9:21:36 PM

DukeLeto23 said:
I have the 530s and I've been upgrading it pretty much since I got it. I'll attach my specs below to show you what I'm using with it, but to answer your specific question, have you tried using the old VGA connection from the motherboard to make sure there isn't an issue to begin with? I remember doing this with my card and when it was setup correctly, the next time I rebooted, I went into the BIOS to turn OFF the onboard video card and it worked fine.

Specs for my Dell Inspiron 530s
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 32bit, English
Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor(6MB Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 3 DIMMs
1TB WD Caviar Black - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache (OS)
2TB WD Caviar Green - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache (Data)
1TB Seagate Spinpoint M8 Notebook Drive- 5400RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 8MB Cache (DVR)
LG Electronics GGC-H20LK LightScribe Blu-Ray/HD DVD Combo Drive
HIS Silence H557HR1G Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCard TV Tuner
PointTek TFX 400W Power Supply
Intel PWLA8391GTL Desktop Network Adapter Pro/1000 GT Low Profile
Gyration GYR4101CKUS Air Music Remote with Compact Keyboard
2 Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers for Windows
Sony HT-IS100 Bravia Home Theater System
SAMSUNG LN46A850 LCD TV

BTW, it was getting too hot in my case for my new Ceton card so I added in a low profile pci-slot-fitting dual fan card that dissipates the heat perfectly now. And the last thing I'm going to do this week is get the RAM up to 800MHz.

Hope this helps.


how do you turn off the on board graphic cards
m
0
l
November 16, 2011 1:38:05 PM

iadamc94 said:
how do you turn off the on board graphic cards


I found a step by step guide that will help here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard/Integrated-Video...

Also, get to know your manual, just in case so you can see the proper way to open and add parts.
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Dell/Inspiron-530S/Manual/18...


And on there search for "video card" There is a section about using a video card with two displays which means this particular setup (optional) needs its own video card. In that section, they note that if add a dual video card, the original VGA connector will no longer work. That may mean that you don't have to go into the BIOS at all. What you may need to do is just go into the Device Manager in Windows and look for the Display Adapters section. There should be two cards there and you'll want to disable the one that came with the computer. Here is a video card showing the procedure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6F3MhniZFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlxIvc16vQg

In either case, getting to know your BIOS is important to learning your PC for future upgrades. After powering it down and restarting it, press F2 before Windows has a chance to start. This will take you into the BIOS. From there, you can use the arrow keys and enter to get into the various configuration screens. Get to know them. I think I had to use it to turn off the onboard audio for instance, but you'll know how to do that if you know where the setting is by that point.

Good luck.
m
0
l
!