Macs go Intel, xbox360 the only PowerPC left?

So today Apple announced that they're abandoning PowerPC processors for
their Macs in favor of Intel chips. Doesn't that mean the ONLY thing
they'll be manufacturing PowerPC chips for in the future is the
xbox360? Is there any other hardware that still uses them?

So I guess we can't say the xbox360 is a Mac anymore. Now we gotta say
it's an OLD Mac... ;-)

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

Bill Cable schrieb:
> So today Apple announced that they're abandoning PowerPC processors for
> their Macs in favor of Intel chips. Doesn't that mean the ONLY thing
> they'll be manufacturing PowerPC chips for in the future is the
> xbox360? Is there any other hardware that still uses them?

PowerPCs are in a lot of devices. Laser printers, settop boxes, cars,...

> So I guess we can't say the xbox360 is a Mac anymore. Now we gotta say
> it's an OLD Mac... ;-)

There are going to be PowerPC based cpu in Playstation 3 and Nintendo
Revolution, too, also the Gamecube is using a PPC cpu.

Jan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Jan Lucas" <jan@lucas-berlin.de> wrote in message
> Bill Cable schrieb:
>> So today Apple announced that they're abandoning PowerPC processors for
>> their Macs in favor of Intel chips. Doesn't that mean the ONLY thing
>> they'll be manufacturing PowerPC chips for in the future is the
>> xbox360? Is there any other hardware that still uses them?
>
> PowerPCs are in a lot of devices. Laser printers, settop boxes, cars,...
>
>> So I guess we can't say the xbox360 is a Mac anymore. Now we gotta say
>> it's an OLD Mac... ;-)
>
> There are going to be PowerPC based cpu in Playstation 3 and Nintendo
> Revolution, too, also the Gamecube is using a PPC cpu.
>
> Jan

PowerPC processors are in, or will be in:

-Xbox 360
-Playstation3
-Nintendo Revolution
-Nintendo Gamecube
-probably Nintendo's NEXT-GEN Game Boy (because it'll be based on Gamecube
technologies)
-Sega's old Model 3 arcade boards (PPC 603e) used in Virtua Fighter 3,
Daytona 2, Harley Davidson & LA Riders, Star Wars Arcade Trilogy, Jurassic
Park Arcade, etc.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So today Apple announced that they're abandoning PowerPC processors for
> their Macs in favor of Intel chips. Doesn't that mean the ONLY thing
> they'll be manufacturing PowerPC chips for in the future is the
> xbox360? Is there any other hardware that still uses them?
>
> So I guess we can't say the xbox360 is a Mac anymore. Now we gotta say
> it's an OLD Mac... ;-)
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

xenon360 wrote:

> -probably Nintendo's NEXT-GEN Game Boy (because it'll be based on Gamecube
> technologies)

I doubt it. IBM has no mobile CPUs.

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> IBM servers using the Power architecture.

pretty sure my tivo has one in it too

http://www.9thtee.com/images/powerpc.jpg
http://www.9thtee.com/insidetivo.htm

wd <wd@none.com> wrote:

> "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> > IBM servers using the Power architecture.

> pretty sure my tivo has one in it too

The series 1 Tivos do. I don't think the series 2 ones do.