My dvd rw copies fine but when I put in a blank dvd-r it knicks it out and tells

Vonner

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
my dvd rw copies fine but when I put in a blank dvd-r it knicks it out and tells me it\'s bad....when I put a dvd-r in my laptop and look at the properties it telling me that all the space is used these are brand new and I check about 50 of them and they all are showing no free space, this started about a week ago it was doing fine before that changed brands of DVD-R's still the same thing.

I have the same problem with my Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner.

Sometimes it just doesn't like a disc. Sometimes when I reinsert it, it'll work. It's really bad when I do LightScribing.

And I think whenever you put a blank disk in, it'll always show "full" as it hasn't been formatted yet.

What kind of DVD-R are you using. Cheap brands are know for problems. Stick with Phillips, or Verbatim. (Sorry, just noticed you did try others.)

normally that points to a failing drive when 1 kind of disk can be read or written to but not another.... it can also happen when a drive supports dvd+r but not dvd-r it may read both but may only write to 1 kind... so check the manufacturers site for more info.
1 other thing. some drives dont like disks that you can lazer etch a picture on the back of. in this case some manufacturers offer a firmware upgrade... as samsung did with there d111 drive.