Power Supply Coolermaster 700W $74.99 CTY Computers
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P67 $199.99 Canada Computer
CPU Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz $279.99 Amazon
RAM GSkill Sniper 2x4GB $39.99 Canada Computer
Hard Drive I have a Hard Drive
Optical Drive LG Sata DVD $16.99 Canada Computer
Video Card Nvidia EVGA 550 TI $119.97 Tiger Direct

Price $821.91

Will this computer be compatible and will not overheat, I will not overclock. (I live in Canada so try to give me canadian prices)
Also is there anything that can be cheaper but doesn't really affect the performance a whole lot.
Thanks

More about : build conformation

a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 1:45:16 AM

I would get a Z68 chipset motherboard and a i5-2500k cpu and a GTX 560Ti video card.
This can be done with the money saved from getting the 2500k instead of the 2600k.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:48:02 AM

Lets say I keep this build, Will everything be compatible ?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 1:52:18 AM

The power supply is not that great a name brand and doesn't get a high rating in my book. Antec, Seasonic , Corsair ars names you should be looking at.
If you will not overclock then why are you getting the 2600k which has the unlocked multiplier and the price is higher because of that. The 550Ti is only going to let you play at the lower end of the game settings and by not overclocking you can't go any higher so it would be better to get more video card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 1:53:03 AM

Syassawi said:
Lets say I keep this build, Will everything be compatible ?

I would say yes it would.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:55:24 AM

inzone said:
The power supply is not that great a name brand and doesn't get a high rating in my book. Antec, Seasonic , Corsair ars names you should be looking at.
If you will not overclock then why are you getting the 2600k which has the unlocked multiplier and the price is higher because of that. The 550Ti is only going to let you play at the lower end of the game settings and by not overclocking you can't go any higher so it would be better to get more video card.

What are the risk of me overclocking the 2600 and failing. I have had a little bit of experience of overclocking. But would you say it is kinda hard to mess up a overclock for the 2600.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 1:55:31 AM

With overclocking not an option you could make changes that would make the build better without costing more or overclocking.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 1:57:53 AM

Syassawi said:
What are the risk of me overclocking the 2600 and failing. I have had a little bit of experience of overclocking. But would you say it is kinda hard to mess up a overclock for the 2600.

Overclocking the 2600k is a can't miss option , you don't have to go as high as other people do. You could get up to 4.2ghz without any trouble and very little experience.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 2:01:16 AM

The 922 used to be one of my fav cases, but until they update the 922 with front USB 3 ports, I consider it an unacceptable choice....so as to your compatability question, you won't be able to plug any USB 3.0 peripherals into your front case ports.

Among THG regulars, you won't find CM on many people's PSU short list.

Sabertooth is a great board ..... as to Z68, read this and see if any of the features it offers strike ya fancy,..... my guess is no.

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

The 550 Ti is a huge drop below the 560 Ti...

I'd add a CPU cooler if ya worried about overheating .... but if not OC'ing this is unnecessary.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 2:01:54 AM

The point I was trying to make before is that you can overclock the 2500k just as much as the 2600k and it is a lot cheaper and the money saved could be used to get a better video card which would make a big difference in gaming.
If you raise the clock on the cpu and it fails then you go back to the stock speed and start over or don't.
m
l
January 3, 2012 2:02:13 AM

Is there link or a video you can refer me too to give me a good understanding of how to overclock the newer generation of CPUs, because I overclocked mine about 4 years ago.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 2:09:34 AM

I don't know of any video but to do basic overclocking of the Sandy Bridge you would just change the multiplier , in the bios you would see the clock multiplier and it would start out with 25x and you would increase it one by one with each time making sure that windows is stable and continuing. In your case you would only need to go up a couple of notches because you don't want to go that high. To go higher than 4.0 or 4.2 you would need to start to add voltage and you don't want ot go there yet.
m
l
January 3, 2012 2:16:19 AM

inzone said:
I don't know of any video but to do basic overclocking of the Sandy Bridge you would just change the multiplier , in the bios you would see the clock multiplier and it would start out with 25x and you would increase it one by one with each time making sure that windows is stable and continuing. In your case you would only need to go up a couple of notches because you don't want to go that high. To go higher than 4.0 or 4.2 you would need to start to add voltage and you don't want ot go there yet.

Alright so I would just change the multiplyer to 42 doing it one by one, also what cooler would you reccomend just incase for my type of basic overclocking.
Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2012 3:24:41 AM

I didn't say to change the multiplier to 42 just try to get to 4.0 or 4.2 ghz , the multiplier starts at 25x and you can increase it one number at a time and see what ghz you can get to before Windows becomes unstable and once it becomes unstable then back off one or two numbers.
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a popular cooler for the Sandy Bridge and since that cpu runs pretty cool to begin with it will have no trouble keeping cool with that cooler.
m
l
!