Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Worth upgrade Phenom ii X4 830 from Athlon II X3 435?

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2012 2:46:05 PM

Hello,

I found this deal http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... , $50 for a quadcore L3 cache. If anyone have had the opportunity to try them both or any benchmark available for them mainly gaming, but also system responsiveness. I have found that WEI score of my current system is 7.0, while this goes to 7.4 I believe. Do you think is worth for price/performance difference. I can always build another PC using the Athlon II x3, or sell it? I appreciate your time.
a c 142 à CPUs
April 13, 2012 3:38:33 PM

I, too, am a huge AMD fan. That being said, you won't see a major leap in performance going from your current to the proposed CPU. Some increase, yes, but not a lot.

Still, the price is good. I recommend you go for it.

Have fun!!!
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 13, 2012 3:48:41 PM

No its a pretty lowly Phenom II and I think the Multi is locked on that model so you cant even OC it well. Look for a Phenom II 965BE (Black Edition), 980BE or 960T. They may cost $50 more but the fact they can OC heavily (or OC and maybe 6 core unlock with 960T) means you will get a much larger life from them. If you dont OC their stock clocks are higher too.

The one you found may be an upgrade per se but not really a very big one from your current CPU, in that if you kept the athlon or bought the 830 I suspect you would end up wanting to upgrade either around the same time. The ones I have mentioned may cost more but would be much more of a lasting upgrade.
Related resources
April 13, 2012 3:57:52 PM

COLGeek said:
I, too, am a huge AMD fan. That being said, you won't see a major leap in performance going from your current to the proposed CPU. Some increase, yes, but not a lot.

Still, the price is good. I recommend you go for it.

Have fun!!!

Thanks for reply, Actually I need to change that AMD fan, not anymore since bulldozer, however, AMD Fan on the graphics side. If is not worth then I won't get it.
Score
April 13, 2012 3:59:39 PM

wr6133 said:
No its a pretty lowly Phenom II and I think the Multi is locked on that model so you cant even OC it well. Look for a Phenom II 965BE (Black Edition), 980BE or 960T. They may cost $50 more but the fact they can OC heavily (or OC and maybe 6 core unlock with 960T) means you will get a much larger life from them. If you dont OC their stock clocks are higher too.

The one you found may be an upgrade per se but not really a very big one from your current CPU, in that if you kept the athlon or bought the 830 I suspect you would end up wanting to upgrade either around the same time. The ones I have mentioned may cost more but would be much more of a lasting upgrade.

I'll keep my Athlon ii then , upgrade to a 2600K CPU Mobo for 260$ seems much more worth it. Thanks
Score
April 23, 2012 12:11:16 PM

Best answer selected by cronos177.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 8:25:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!