Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Smoke and spark from motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 21, 2013 8:41:30 PM

The other day while my computer was running some water dripped in it, getting on the mobo, gpu, and i think in the psu. After letting it all dry I was testing my psu and it popped so to be careful I ordered a new one do I could test my components and see what needed to be replaced. Upon hooking up the new psu and starting it up there was a small spark and some smoke from a black, square shaped part of the mobo immediately to the right if the 8pin for the cpu. To the right of that is 2 gold circle parts. So, I'm assuming I need a new motherboard and the water must have shorted something on it. It may be worth noting the area where the spark and smoke came from is right around where the water dripped.

More about : smoke spark motherboard

a c 75 V Motherboard
February 21, 2013 8:46:41 PM

If you have any burn marks on the board it is safe to say that you have a short and are going to need to replace it.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 8:58:31 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
If you have any burn marks on the board it is safe to say that you have a short and are going to need to replace it.

Well, I don't think I see anything, but I could just be missing it. Though, while I'm no expert, it would seem that a mobo that Sparks and smokes has something wrong with it. something else by the way, my other psu, before it popped but after the computer got wet, refused to turn on while the 8 pin was plugged into the mobo, but if I unplugged the 8pin the psu would power up fine . And the spark and smoke came from RIGHT next to the 8pin. In my limited knowledge it sounds like there is a short there involving the 8pin socket.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 21, 2013 10:37:12 PM

Yes you do need a new motherboard and i think your either describing the cmos chip or the north bridge doesn't really matter if either one is damage you will need to replace your motherboard. If you had the OEM version of windows makes sure you replace your motherboard with the same exact motherboard. If you buy a different motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of windows xp/7/8.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 10:51:49 PM

fcdwn777 said:
Upon hooking up the new psu and starting it up there was a small spark and some smoke

Your motherboard has lost its magic smoke and will no longer work. Manufacturers capture magic smoke and trap it inside the various computer components to make them work. If the magic smoke is ever released (which you witnessed), the component will no longer function. You will need to replace it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 10:53:22 PM

Sound to me like he hit a powerphase, Yeah I think it's safe to say it's probably dead, and you do not need to buy a new copy of windows if you buy a new motherboard. I've done it before.
m
0
l
!