Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What's the difference between eatx and atx psu's?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 13, 2012 3:32:35 PM

hi,

what's the difference between eatx and atx psu's and is it possible to connect an atx psu on a eatx mobo?

mobo eatx
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Moederbord/Asus...

psu atx
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 4:15:15 PM

Hello,

An EATX mobo just means "Extended ATX". And yes an ATX PSU will work with an EATX mobo.

However the real question is - would your case support an EATX motherboard? EATX mobo's are quite large.

BTW you linked an mATX motherboard, not an EATX. Either way the PSU will fit.
April 13, 2012 4:24:33 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

An EATX mobo just means "Extended ATX". And yes an ATX PSU will work with an EATX mobo.

However the real question is - would your case support an EATX motherboard? EATX mobo's are quite large.

BTW you linked an mATX motherboard, not an EATX. Either way the PSU will fit.



oh i think that i'm now getting it, in the specs it says:that there is an eatx psu connection but that doesnt mean it's an eatx mobo right?

I'm planning to buy the coolermaster elite 430 but since it's not an eatx mobo i don't have to worry about the size right?

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 4:33:36 PM

kangedde said:
oh i think that i'm now getting it, in the specs it says:that there is an eatx psu connection but that doesnt mean it's an eatx mobo right?

I'm planning to buy the coolermaster elite 430 but since it's not an eatx mobo i don't have to worry about the size right?


I can gurantee you that all modern motherboards use a 24 pin power connector from the power supply. As well as all modern PSU's have a 24 (or 20+4pin) pin connector for the motherboard. Doesn't matter whether they are mATX,EATX, or ATX.

Unless you are talking about some kind of server, or custom motherboard then the pin configuration for the PSU/MOBO might be different.

Read this (and don't just skim it), mostly check out the sizes for ATX on the right hand side:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Are you building a new computer from different parts, or a completely new build? Depending on what you have, you might need a bigger power supply. say 600Watts instead of 430Watts. But it depends on all of your hardware you are putting in.
April 13, 2012 5:03:15 PM

Chainzsaw said:
I can gurantee you that all modern motherboards use a 24 pin power connector from the power supply. As well as all modern PSU's have a 24 (or 20+4pin) pin connector for the motherboard. Doesn't matter whether they are mATX,EATX, or ATX.

Unless you are talking about some kind of server, or custom motherboard then the pin configuration for the PSU/MOBO might be different.

Read this (and don't just skim it), mostly check out the sizes for ATX on the right hand side:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Are you building a new computer from different parts, or a completely new build? Depending on what you have, you might need a bigger power supply. say 600Watts instead of 430Watts. But it depends on all of your hardware you are putting in.



i'm building a whole new system going to buy this:

amd fx 6100
radeon hd 6850
corsair veng 1600 2x4gb
coolermaster elite 430
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3,sAM3/AM3+
Corsair CX 500WATT V2
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB - 3.5inch

i'm not planning to oc

i'll have a good read on the page you send me:) 











a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 6:02:14 PM

kangedde said:
i'm building a whole new system going to buy this:

amd fx 6100
radeon hd 6850
corsair veng 1600 2x4gb
coolermaster elite 430
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3,sAM3/AM3+
Corsair CX 500WATT V2
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB - 3.5inch

i'm not planning to oc

i'll have a good read on the page you send me:) 


Ok. looks like a nice system. However the 6850 requires a minnimum of a 450-500W PSU (depending on exact gpu brand) to operate. Even though you may not be OCing, you may want to bump up to 550W PSU, or even 600W PSU.|

Here is a nice Antec 550W PSU platinum certified, 2x6pin gpu power connectors 104.99 (non modular):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

April 13, 2012 6:09:08 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Ok. looks like a nice system. However the 6850 requires a minnimum of a 450-500W PSU (depending on exact gpu brand) to operate. Even though you may not be OCing, you may want to bump up to 550W PSU, or even 600W PSU.|

Here is a nice Antec 550W PSU platinum certified, 2x6pin gpu power connectors 104.99 (non modular):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...


thnx for your reply,

the Corsair CX 500WATT V2 is on the list as one of the recommended psu's and it's 500w with 80+ efficenvy:) 

so shouldn't that be enough?

oh and they don't sell antec in my country:( 

would this be a good one?
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Cooler-...
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 6:33:58 PM

kangedde said:
thnx for your reply,

the Corsair CX 500WATT V2 is on the list as one of the recommended psu's and it's 500w with 80+ efficenvy:) 

so shouldn't that be enough?

oh and they don't sell antec in my country:( 

would this be a good one?
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Cooler-...


Ahh ok. One thing I want to mention - as PSU's heat up internally - they become less effficient, so for example if one is rated at 80%efficient 500W @40c then it will be much less efficient if it gets hotter.

Also i'm a bit iffy about Cooler Master PSU's....However it looks ok.

This looks better though:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Cooler-...

Single rail design which are better than dual rail design PSUs. It is also Modular.
April 13, 2012 6:38:21 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Ahh ok. One thing I want to mention - as PSU's heat up internally - they become less effficient, so for example if one is rated at 80%efficient 500W @40c then it will be much less efficient if it gets hotter.

Also i'm a bit iffy about Cooler Master PSU's....However it looks ok.

This looks better though:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Cooler-...

Single rail design which are better than dual rail design PSUs. It is also Modular.


hm that psu is like 35euro's more i'll consider it.

as last would this one be oke?

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...

it's 10euros more but 600w and the brand seems to be ok

thanks alot for your help btw!
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 6:52:45 PM

kangedde said:
hm that psu is like 35euro's more i'll consider it.

as last would this one be oke?

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...

it's 10euros more but 600w and the brand seems to be ok

thanks alot for your help btw!


Do not get the Corsair CX 600 v2 - theres been known issues with it. One of them is apparently it's actually a 500W unit disguised as a 600W unit.

And no problem for the help....that site you listed seems to have a lack of good quality psu's :p . Or, they appear to be out of your budget.

How about this one instead? Corsair Gaming series GS600WATT PSU, single rail. 73.98 eur

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...

If anyone feels like jumping in to reccomend a better PSU if your reading this....feel free to flog my reccomendations!
April 13, 2012 6:58:16 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Do not get the Corsair CX 600 v2 - theres been known issues with it. One of them is apparently it's actually a 500W unit disguised as a 600W unit.

And no problem for the help....that site you listed seems to have a lack of good quality psu's :p . Or, they appear to be out of your budget.

How about this one instead? Corsair Gaming series GS600WATT PSU, single rail. 73.98 eur

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...

If anyone feels like jumping in to reccomend a better PSU if your reading this....feel free to flog my reccomendations!


i'll go for that one than:D 

now i'm 100%sure about my build tyvm:) 

didnt know that a good psu is so important

thnx again!
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 7:03:18 PM

kangedde said:
i'll go for that one than:D 

now i'm 100%sure about my build tyvm:) 

didnt know that a good psu is so important

thnx again!


Alright no problem. I hope it all works out for you! And yes, a PSU is a very critial component in a computer, you do not want to go cheap on it as some PSU's could kill all your components if it's a horrible one.
!