Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blue Screen (With Error Code)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 4, 2011 7:48:52 PM

So if you are a regular then you may recognise my name because of the amount of blue screens I get for no apparent reason, well put my PC into sleep does it decide to boot NO! Decides it wants to play silly buggers and run all fans at 100% just to piss me off even more, go to restart does it boot (Fans 100% no picture).

Nearly had it with my £900 PC because my mums little netbook runs 24/7 flawless. Admittedly it can't edit video but at least my blood pressure does not double when using it.

Error Code;


Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen (No *** sherlock!)
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800B0D74E0
BCP2: FFFFF8801069AF10
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

More about : blue screen error code

November 4, 2011 11:07:48 PM

majorgibly said:
So if you are a regular then you may recognise my name because of the amount of blue screens I get for no apparent reason, well put my PC into sleep does it decide to boot NO! Decides it wants to play silly buggers and run all fans at 100% just to piss me off even more, go to restart does it boot (Fans 100% no picture).

Nearly had it with my £900 PC because my mums little netbook runs 24/7 flawless. Admittedly it can't edit video but at least my blood pressure does not double when using it.

Error Code;


Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen (No *** sherlock!)
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800B0D74E0
BCP2: FFFFF8801069AF10
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1



It looks like its related to the Nvidia drivers not responding. Just google the stop error codes and it will tell you what it is and how to fix it.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 11:52:12 PM

Sound a like a memory issue to me. Make sure your memory voltage is set correctly in the bios according to the sticker on the ram itself.

The ram also could be bad. Put memtest86+ on a disk and boot to the disk to test.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 12:07:08 AM

Blue screens are normally caused by either memory or driver errors (particularly video drivers). Run a memory test program such as memtest86 overnight to eliminate the memory as being the cause of your problem. Try installing the latest version of the video drivers and if you have the latest version installed then try a older version such as the one that came on the graphics card CD. Other drivers can also cause this, disable the drivers one by one to see if you can find the problem driver.
a c 85 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 12:36:23 AM

try the driver first most microsost tehcnet goes to n vidia driver for bccode:166 and where is the minidump report file
November 5, 2011 12:44:57 AM

Well it only boots into windows for 3 min then blue screens, 116 stop code is GPU related. Shall I buy a cheap GPU to see if it works?
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 1:49:21 AM

Run the memory test first, its free.
November 5, 2011 4:47:45 AM

AGAIN look it up! I looked it up and most of those stop error codes are errors for Nvidia drivers.
November 5, 2011 5:25:39 AM

but i thought ati drivers were bad....hmmmm
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 12:47:18 PM

Harith Aslam said:
but i thought ati drivers were bad....hmmmm


There's no problem with ATI drivers, that's a myth. If there were, when you read one of the thousands of video card reviews from expert sites, you would see them mention it, they don't. The only problems I've seen can be with new games, which nvidia has it's share of issues too. Also microstuttering in Xfire or sli configurations.

I personally have never seen a video card drive blue screen a computer on boot. I would first remove all your nvidia drivers and re-install the latest. But first I would check your dimm voltages are correct in your bios according to the sticker on the dimm's.
November 5, 2011 1:23:27 PM

geekapproved said:
There's no problem with ATI drivers, that's a myth. If there were, when you read one of the thousands of video card reviews from expert sites, you would see them mention it, they don't. The only problems I've seen can be with new games, which nvidia has it's share of issues too. Also microstuttering in Xfire or sli configurations.

I personally have never seen a video card drive blue screen a computer on boot. I would first remove all your nvidia drivers and re-install the latest. But first I would check your dimm voltages are correct in your bios according to the sticker on the dimm's.


Right now I'm all confused! It's working I have been on windows for about 20min now no BSOD I have reseated the card and thats it! I do have some spare money do you think buying a new GTX 560ti would solve this problem?

(Here comes the silly question) If I remove all the GPU drivers surely it will make the problem worse? If I were to download the latest driver does it overnight them all or do i need to delete them manually?

Cheer guys :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 2:15:52 PM

I don't know why you would buy a new 560ti, the card you have should work fine.

Removing the old gpu drivers wouldn't make the problem worse because you would re-install the driver right away.....don't do anything though unless the problem comes back, you might just not have had the card pushed down all the way.

Does downloading the latest driver overnight them? I have no idea what you mean by that. As soon as you download them, you install them, takes 5 minutes at the most.
November 5, 2011 2:18:19 PM

geekapproved said:
I don't know why you would buy a new 560ti, the card you have should work fine.

Removing the old gpu drivers wouldn't make the problem worse because you would re-install the driver right away.....don't do anything though unless the problem comes back, you might just not have had the card pushed down all the way.

Does downloading the latest driver overnight them? I have no idea what you mean by that. As soon as you download them, you install them, takes 5 minutes at the most.


Oh god, when I wrote that sentence I must of been up in the clouds. I was suppose to say, "Does download the new drivers over-right and delete the old ones?"

Sorry :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 2:59:28 PM

Yes and no.

I haven't used Nvidia graphics cards since the 8800GT, so I don't remember. I know when I install my new AMD drivers it gives the option to remove the old drivers first. I usually don't and just over-write the new ones.

If your card is working fine now, don't worry about it.
November 5, 2011 3:01:25 PM

geekapproved said:
Yes and no.

I haven't used Nvidia graphics cards since the 8800GT, so I don't remember. I know when I install my new AMD drivers it gives the option to remove the old drivers first. I usually don't and just over-write the new ones.

If your card is working fine now, don't worry about it.


Right cheers, the thing that I don't understand is why it's all of a sudden working all I have done is reseated the card, surely that could not fix it?
November 5, 2011 3:11:10 PM

to tell you the truth, are you sure that you have the latest version of drivers installed? because (just for the sake of it), when i installed my version of catalyst drivers that came with the hd 6850 on cd, there would be a bsod...but when i downloaded catalyst 11.9, it was ok...make sure you have the latest drivers...
November 5, 2011 4:02:44 PM

Harith Aslam said:
to tell you the truth, are you sure that you have the latest version of drivers installed? because (just for the sake of it), when i installed my version of catalyst drivers that came with the hd 6850 on cd, there would be a bsod...but when i downloaded catalyst 11.9, it was ok...make sure you have the latest drivers...


Just updated to the latest version, so if something goes wrong now it's hardware related correct?
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 4:12:33 PM

If the card was not properly seated and the gold contacts were not making a good connections, sure that could be what was wrong.
November 5, 2011 4:36:16 PM

geekapproved said:
If the card was not properly seated and the gold contacts were not making a good connections, sure that could be what was wrong.


I mean I will keep you guys updated.
a c 225 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 6:41:02 PM

ATI has drastically improved their drivers, and while there are still issues with 2D drafting, three way Xfire and other minor things, their frequent upgrade cycle has shrunk the gap to a small one.

As for your problem, I would do a re-install of drivers.

1. Uninstall drivers via control panel.
2. Reboot and use Ccleaner to remove all things nVidia (or ATI) from registry.
3. Reboot, if windows wants to help you and uninstall new drivers, just say no.
4. Install latest nVidia driver.

Note..... tech support has oft instructed to keep DRAM voltage at the "rated setting". By "rated" I mean what it says on the package. I have historically lowered mine to the lowest stable setting....My son had a very problematic experience w/ EVGA and a factory OC'd GFX card. Some months after running fine, the card simply refused to run at the fcatory OC....they insisted that 'was expected" cause we lowered the RAM voltage (and I mean system RAM not VRAM) to 1.5635 from 1.65 ... and no, raising it back up to 1.65 did nothing to make the card work any better. 5 RMA's later they replaced the card with an equivalent next gen one and problem went away.
!