Mike

Splendid

I ran the uninstall for a program using add/remove
software on the control panel. When I re-booted my start
menu lost most of my software. I think it's because the
owner/admin user was renamed. When I did the rename it
didn't change the documents and settings directory name.
Something in the uninstall created a new directory with
the renamed user name. Now when I sign on, I get this
empty settings directory. What can I do ? Any help
would be appreciated!

Mike,
I had a problem like that.
I found that I had uninstalled. I actually drag and dropped
my accessories program.
If you can, contact Microsoft. They are great at walking you right through
this. They saved my system!
Let me know what fixes it.
Nothing that can't be fixed.
viola
"mike" wrote:

> I ran the uninstall for a program using add/remove
> software on the control panel. When I re-booted my start
> menu lost most of my software. I think it's because the
> owner/admin user was renamed. When I did the rename it
> didn't change the documents and settings directory name.
> Something in the uninstall created a new directory with
> the renamed user name. Now when I sign on, I get this
> empty settings directory. What can I do ? Any help
> would be appreciated!

Mike--

If system restore won't bring it right back, trying a number of restore
points close to before this happened, if they are available,

Try this:

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu (Line 117 Left)

Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings (Line 130 Left)

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

You might also want to get this to restore other features.

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

from

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

You might also find this useful reading:

Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q292504

hth,

Chad Harris

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I ran the uninstall for a program using add/remove
software on the control panel. When I re-booted my start
menu lost most of my software. I think it's because the
owner/admin user was renamed. When I did the rename it
didn't change the documents and settings directory name.
Something in the uninstall created a new directory with
the renamed user name. Now when I sign on, I get this
empty settings directory. What can I do ? Any help
would be appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS