Shirt pocketable cameras which shows the date and shutter ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 8, 2005 2:03:43 PM

Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
beasts exist? With thanks.
May 8, 2005 11:00:54 PM

In article <1115571823.595555.210000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote:

>Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
>shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
>pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
>does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
>Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
>beasts exist? With thanks.

The Canon Powershots you listed have date imprint mode; I think all the
more recent Powershots have this. I really like my A85. I know there
are some models that are slightly better, but I chose this one as a
complement to my DSLR. No regrets whatsoever. The difference between
4MP and 5MP is quite small, by the way. A good exposure from this 4MP
camera can give gallery-quality 8x10 prints. It is quite noisy in
low-light situations, though, and the noise isn't pretty. I've lost a
couple of good shots to this, and it may motivate me to carry my DSLR
more. But exposures with decent light look pretty good, and the Canon
P&S does make a nice complement to a Canon SLR, because the architecture
is similar, and many of the features translate well.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:33:35 PM

arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu writes:
> Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
> shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
> pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
> does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
> Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
> beasts exist? With thanks.

I think that's part of the Direct Print system supported by a lot of
cameras. There's an EXIF field for it and you select it from some
menu in the camera.
May 9, 2005 6:23:18 PM

Greetings Arouth,

The closest camera to your request for Kodak would be the LS753. It has a
lot of features and one of them is a full series of scene mode. This allows
for a pretty robust set of settable options. You cannot control the lens
and shutter directly but you do have a lot of scenes to choose from and it
does include flash and exposure compensation (sort of like controlling those
options).

The scene modes include - auto, portrait, close-up, self-portrait,
museum/manner, night landscape, night portrait, sport, landscape, snow,
beach, party, fireworks, backlight, children, and flower

Macro/Close -Up Mode - Wide - 5-100 cm (2.0-39.4 in.); Tele - 30-100 cm
(11.8-39.4 in.)
Burest Modes - 3 fps, up to 4 pictures
Color Modes - Color, Black and White, Sepia
Light Metering - Automatic: TTL-AE; Selectable:
Exposure Compensation - +/- 2.0 EV in 0.5 step increments
Exposure Control - programmed AE
Click to Capture - 0.7 Seconds (Wide - Preview on) and .08 (Wide - Preview
Off)
Shot to Shot - 1.6 seconds.

You can see more about it at its website

http://www.kodak.com/go/ls753

If you have questions I will be around to help you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
> shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
> pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
> does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
> Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
> beasts exist? With thanks.

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:10:11 AM

In article <Gltfe.11924$fI.1676@fed1read05>,
fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote:

> >Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
> >shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
> >pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
> >does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
> >Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
> >beasts exist? With thanks.

I believe all digital cameras store a wealth of information in the EXIF
files attached to their images. Certainly photos from the Canon and
Panasonic cameras I have access to include them.

On my Mac I use EXIF Viewer to reveal to details, I'm sure Windows will
have an equivalent.

Below are the figures from a image my daughter sent from England....

File name: IMG_1096.JPG
File size: 1094877 bytes (2272x1704, 2.3bpp, 11x)
EXIF Summary: 1/100s f/4.9 23.41mm

Camera-Specific Properties:

Equipment Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A80
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/4.9
Sensing Method: One-Chip Color Area
Lens Size: 7.81 - 23.41 mm
Firmware Version: Firmware Version 1.00

Image-Specific Properties:

Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution: 180 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 180 dpi
Image Created: 2005:03:26 04:36:16
Exposure Time: 1/100 sec
F-Number: f/4.9
Lens Aperture: f/4.9
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash, Auto
Focal Length: 23.41 mm
Color Space Information: sRGB
Image Width: 2272
Image Height: 1704
Rendering: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Exposure Mode: Easy Shooting
Focus Type: Auto
Metering Mode: Evaluative
ISO Speed Rating: Auto
Sharpness: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Shooting Mode: Full Auto
Image Size: Large
Focus Mode: Single
Drive Mode: Single
Flash Mode: Red-Eye Reduction (Auto)
Compression Setting: Fine
Macro Mode: Normal
Subject Distance: 4.840 m
White Balance: Auto
Image Number: 110-1096

Other Properties:

Resolution Unit: i
Chrominance Comp Positioning: Centered
Exif IFD Pointer: 196
Compression Scheme: JPEG Compression (Thumbnail)
Horizontal Resolution: 180 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 180 dpi
Resolution Unit: i
Offset to JPEG SOI: 2036
Bytes of JPEG Data: 5692
Exif Version: 2.20
Image Generated: 2005:03:26 04:36:16
Image Digitized: 2005:03:26 04:36:16
Meaning of Each Comp: Unknown
Image Compression Mode: 3
Shutter Speed: 1/101 sec
Metering Mode: Pattern
Focal Plane Horiz Resolution: 8114 dpi
Focal Plane Vert Resolution: 8114 dpi
Focal Plane Res Unit: i
File Source: Digital Still Camera
White Balance: Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
Base Zoom Resolution: 2272
Zoomed Resolution: 2272
Digital Zoom: None
Self-Timer Length: 0 sec
Canon Tag1 Length: 92
Flash Bias: 0 EV
Sequence Number: 0
Canon Tag4 Length: 68
Image Type: IMG:p owerShot A80 JPEG
Owner Name:

--
YAnewsWatcher.
Anonymous

arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu wrote:
> Greetings! I want a 4 to 5 MP shirt pocketable camera which shows
> shutter speed and aperture [like Canon A85 or A95] while I am taking
> pictures. I also want the camera to print dates [like Kodak camera
> does] on the photo without software manipulation. I have a Kodak
> Dx6490 which does both but it is not shirt pocketable. Does these
> beasts exist? With thanks.

Ricoh Caplio R1 (4Mp) or R1v (5Mp) will do both. Size 100mm x 50mm x
25mm, 4.8 X optical zoom.

Tony M
May 10, 2005 9:33:36 AM

In article <umustbjoking-9307AD.21101009052005@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
YAnewswatcher <umustbjoking@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>On my Mac I use EXIF Viewer to reveal to details, I'm sure Windows will
>have an equivalent.

This is a problem if it is a requirement that there be no action
required to have a date stamp on the image. I don't know how well
a digital date stamp will meet certain rules of evidence. Date backs
on film cameras actually expose the negative. To have the same level
of credibility as that, I suspect you'd need a RAW image with some kind
of digital signature on the image and on the EXIF.

It the reason for the date stame requirement is mere convenience and not
due to some legal or contractual necessity, most Canon Powershot cameras
have a date imprint function, and these can also do a date imprint at
the time of printing if you print directly from the camera.
!