Your question
Closed

ASRock Extreme 3 won't POST with RAM in b2

Tags:
  • ASrock
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2013 8:53:46 PM

I made a new system build for a friend. POSTed fine, installed Windows 8. While installing ASRock drivers from the DVD, an error popped up (didn't catch what the error was). Powered system off, turned it back on, and system was dead -- no sound, no video, no keyboard lights. However the mobo was getting power -- case power light on, all fans running including CPU and GPU.

Tried moving memory around. Found that system won't POST with RAM in slot B2 (manual says to start with A2/B2). System POSTs and runs with RAM in A1/B1.

Any ideas? Not sure if this is a mobo problem or something else. Suggestions appreciated.

Config:
ASRock 970 Extreme 3 ATX AM3+ Mobo
AMD FX-6200 6-Core processor
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4) DDR3-1600 Model No. CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card
Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

More about : asrock extreme post ram

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 9:30:08 PM

Can you try different RAM? Otherwise I would say it is most likely a motherboard problem. Although resetting the CMOS would not hurt.
March 5, 2013 12:01:17 AM

smeezekitty said:
Can you try different RAM? Otherwise I would say it is most likely a motherboard problem. Although resetting the CMOS would not hurt.

Ended up being related to a setting built into the AsRock BIOS, which we fiddled around with in addition to resetting the CMOS. Not sure if it was the fiddling or the CMOS that solved the problem, but it works now!
Score
March 5, 2013 12:01:26 AM

Best answer selected by Anrikay.
Score
!