Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gtx 560 ti Coil whining

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2011 2:01:24 PM

My 1 week old Gtx 560 ti Oc'ed is making this hissing sound under load. Its quite annoying and i believe is Coil whining? thats what ive read so far that could be the cause of this otherwise im really concerned about it.

Could i send this card back? or is this normal? thank. :( 

More about : gtx 560 coil whining

November 5, 2011 2:06:22 PM

It is not normal. I would send it back.
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:08:26 PM

damn! This is going to take forever, it still has shop warranty but since i live in the Philippines this going to take a week at least. What's weird is this was not present a week ago it just really started today for some reason.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 2:11:34 PM

will re installing the drivers help?
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:47:26 PM

doubt it, just send it back, or the problem will always be in the back of your mind when you hear a noise
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:36:40 AM

i updated the bios of my GPU though, or flashed not sure whats the difference but i got it from gigabyte website. Before that, the card was not working properly with BF3 kept crashing and the update fixed it. Could that cause the coil whine?
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:28:04 PM

this is a common problem with these cards. I read about it before I bought one and shrugged it off. REcieved the card and got the same problem. They definitely know about it and are definitely still shipping the cards. I am confused on who to beef with, newegg or gigabyte.

You might notice that boosting the fan speed up past 70% removes the problem. The fan setup creates a weird vibration and or magical hax at around 55-65% fan speed. Download easy boost (gigabytes oc program) and play with the fan. Might just manually set it above or below that range and be fine.
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:32:01 PM

other than that the card is realllly great. NEver exceeded 60C in my system and OC's to 1k like it was on crack rox. enjoy
m
l
November 7, 2011 12:53:48 AM

i tried 100% fan speed bro and the card was still chirping like a chipmunk. Im planning to sell this card by Christmas to get a better one. oc doesny seem to help with the noise too :( 
m
l
November 7, 2011 12:56:03 AM

also mine hits 75c temps at full load at stock speeds at 900hmz since its oc edition
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:41:24 AM

The store that i bought it from said that no one has returned their gigabyte 560 ti oc yet so far, what are the odds that if i return my card through RMA they would return it with the same defect even if they replace it with a new one?
m
l

Best solution

November 7, 2011 10:21:46 AM

i would definitely return it then. No point in putting up with the bs.
November 7, 2011 11:30:56 AM

agree. ill send it back in a couple of days once im busy with other stuff so the wait would be bearable
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:31:11 AM

Best answer selected by Mastersaofan.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 7, 2011 11:43:02 AM

Mastersaofan said:
i updated the bios of my GPU though, or flashed not sure whats the difference but i got it from gigabyte website. Before that, the card was not working properly with BF3 kept crashing and the update fixed it. Could that cause the coil whine?

Could be. I have a gigabyte 560soc and all the official stuff from gigabyte ( bios flash update, drivers ) but did install later on driver 285 and then got that ( probably ) same high pitched sound when i ran a stresstest or played demanding games. I went back to 266 because with 285 i have issues with stability. ( gigabyte soc's are pretty picky with drivers )
I believe i never heard that sound again after that, not sure though, have to test that.
m
l
November 7, 2011 7:41:16 PM

im betting this is just a design flaw with the heat sink rather than a driver issue. Who knows....interested to see how the replacement works out.

75 degrees is still pretty decent for this card. Just varies a bit with case ventilation. Dont be suprised if the replacement gets up to that temp OC under load.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 8, 2011 4:50:08 AM

Mine gets 70-75 all the time, sounding like an airplane. ( when playing offcourse )
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 8, 2011 5:07:24 AM

Ok, did a couple of tests. It's no driver issue.
With the windows classification index ( not sure thats a good translation ) i got the scary high pitched sound again. Sounds like metal parts scarping or something ( it isn't metal scraping, i know, but it sounds like that )
Specially with the Direct 3D tests it doesn't sound healthy. This means i should RMA it also ? Sounds indeed like a design problem, and i think with the next card the problem will still be there.
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:13:59 AM

rma takes ages here more than a couple of weeks i just play with my side panel closed and i dont hear it much but the clicking/hissing or squealing sound is still definitely there. My temps stay at 75-77 tops. Funny thing is, while playing BF3 when i put MSAA to x4 it makes a lot of noise..then to x2 lessens..then to 0 is get softer but again, still there. so annoying.
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:16:04 AM

what i dont get is when i got this card it was not like this. This just recently happend all of the sudden. Im really trying to figure out what is causing this, i am also afraid that the RMA wont replace my card if they think the sound is normal but its really just not right.
m
l
November 8, 2011 10:49:00 AM

They would definitely replace the card for you. Of course a phone call to customer service would confirm this. If not you can report them to the BBB lol. I've actually done this before with lesser companies and recovered assets. jk Im certain they will replace it. No rush thou really. As you said, the problem is bearable.

I've read a thread of someone trying to fix this problem themselves. I don't recommend this since it will void your warranty.

robjordy, thats exactly the problem I had as well. Yes I would RMA it at some point. I suggest you OC it to 1200mhz and play bf3 for a few hours before returning it thou lol.
m
l
November 8, 2011 10:52:48 AM

kyle382 said:
I suggest you OC it to 1200mhz and play bf3 for a few hours before returning it thou lol.

now this is an idea, buddy. hahaha! :bounce: 
m
l
!