Graphics and ram upgrade

Need some more info please

1) Budget for upgrades?
2) What will you be using the PC for?
3) Couldn't see the power supply in the spec list, what power supply did the PC come with?
4) what is your monitors native resolution?
5) I take it you will be playing games, but what games?

bennnyw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Thank you for the reply, i do some gamming on pc, i do have an xbox360 and ps3 for most games though. But even sims 3 feels laggy at times and i would like to buy some other games soon.

So my next question would be how do i know what graphics cards will fit in my current set up?

And how much might a psu upgrade cost?

You are going to have to do some investigateing with the owners manual and find out exactly what the cpu is and what the ram is. The video is being run right now from the integrated option so it would seem to me to be a sandy-bridge cpu and that being the case it has an odd amount of ram because the sandy-bridge cpu's support dual channel ram and you have 6gb of ram. You also have a 300w psu so adding a video card is going to require a psu upgrade. You also only have one full length x16 slot so sli/crossfire is not an option.
What you can do for now is tell us your budget amount and what you are using the computer for. You don't need to upgrade the ram because 6gb is enough for most things but you do need a psu and video card.

bennnyw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

My budget would be around $100-300. Possibly more.
PC will be used for some work, some gaming; the sims, civilization, zombie games,command and concquer type games, ect.

I will also be buying a hd monitor in the future.

My power supply is
Power Description

Maximum Power Supply Wattage

300 W

Xfire is running two cards together to get better performance . Because a card says xfire doesn't mean you have to be xfire compatible but that the card is capable of running with another if your PC can support it. To do this you would need 2 pciex16 slots and judging from the earlier statement you only have 1, and can run just one card

bennnyw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Went with 6850 and 600w corsair since the gpu said min of 500w

bennnyw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
So i got it all and installed it. I had uninstalled intel graphics before. New card works great, except i have no sound!. I am connected to my HDTV through hdmi. Lower right hand corner has speaker icon with line through it and says no audio device installed or something. When i check the device manager it has radeon hd audio installed, but sound under controll pannel says no audio driver installed.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Radeon software as well as realtek. And i also tried disabling onboard audio in the BIOS and nothing.
Please help!

If i need to by a sound card would there be one at best buy or walmart i could pick up for cheap that would fit my pc?