Sign in with
Your question

Login\cookie issues

Last response: in Forum Feedback
October 15, 2010 3:12:20 PM

Lately I'm having trouble staying logged in. I have cookies turned on and Toms hardware is in my exceptions as allowed. A look at my cookies list shows Toms hardware but I can't seem to stay logged in. I have to login every time. Has somethig changed? I guess there is always the problem of those pesky bots.

More about : login cookie issues

October 16, 2010 6:36:00 AM

Which AV are you using? Some of the 'free' editions casue passwords to be wiped each time the browser is closed. Microsoft Security Eseesntials free version caused this with Tom's Forums so I dumped it.
October 16, 2010 7:36:50 PM

^ Really? I'm running MSE and don't have this issue...
Related resources
October 16, 2010 7:46:22 PM

Two issues I have with MS SE free. When a browser is closed out password rese ALL. When updateing the virus vault each time a new restore point is created. I use Avast/Avira free on most machines. Still use MS SE on a couple as well as Panda Cloud on a couple.
October 16, 2010 7:56:59 PM

Avast and Avira are better free software anyway. I wonder if the paid version of MS SE AV allows settings for password reset. I don't like haviung a new system restore point each time the program is updated, three to four times a day. Good you get that many updtaes for fee, but my SSD doesn't need the bloat of all those system restore points. I set my drive space allotment small for system restore points, but I still have to delete the older restore points many times a day with MS AV to keep my drive space open.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondr...
October 16, 2010 8:08:21 PM

badge said:
Two issues I have with MS SE free. When a browser is closed out password rese ALL. When updateing the virus vault each time a new restore point is created. I use Avast/Avira free on most machines. Still use MS SE on a couple as well as Panda Cloud on a couple.

Is that with Firefox/Chrome or just IE?

Quote:
I set my drive space allotment small for system restore points, but I still have to delete the older restore points many times a day with MS AV to keep my drive space open.

I have limited my re-store points to 3GB. Haven't had any issues. And I don't have system-restore on for the other disks on the system. I have it on only for the OS drive.

Quote:
Avast and Avira are better free software anyway.

Agreed on Avira but not Avast. Imo, Avast is pretty bloated. The only reason I use MSE is because it's extremely light weight.
October 16, 2010 8:11:38 PM

With IE. I noticed a lot of request to enter the password repeatedly on Chrome too. But with IE I'm certain my passwords have to be reentered each time the browser/browser series is completely closed down. Annoying and unnecessary. Kind of like the User Account Control UAC. Turned that off years ago.
October 16, 2010 8:13:16 PM

Tried IE9 BETA BTW. I think the performance will prove to be quite good. But I will wait for the official release to install it on my personal/office machines. Still use IE8 on all but that one machine.
October 16, 2010 8:16:30 PM

I think MS SE free is very good at removing a virus. But it is not so good at preventing the virus from installing in the first place. Avast and Avira are better or blocking it from installing in the first place. I got a lot of false positives recently with Avira. That ws annoying. I switched a lot of machines to Avast free recently. Still trying it out, but it scans fast and I have not noticed any performance hits yet.
October 18, 2010 2:34:39 AM

badge said:
Which AV are you using? Some of the 'free' editions casue passwords to be wiped each time the browser is closed. Microsoft Security Eseesntials free version caused this with Tom's Forums so I dumped it.

I'm using CA Internet Security Suite. That was it. It was set to expire cookies right after receipt. Fixed it. Thanks!
!