Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$650 budget gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 3, 2012 10:00:48 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $650 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD

Country: US

Parts Preferences: Intel for CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments:

I have picked the parts - >
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sb9 Total $621.

Any suggestions?


More about : 650 budget gaming

a b C Monitor
January 3, 2012 10:17:39 AM

You don't need a 2500k with that motherboard because that mobo don't alow you to overclock you cpu. Change the cpu with this i5 quad core and it will be fine everything http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
For your monitor resolution an 6870 is more than enough and is cheaper with 50$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you wanna keep that 2500k then buy 6870 and this mobo what alow you to overclock that 2500k .
Mobo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Change the power supply with this , will more than enough for your build and is 15$ cheaper : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
January 3, 2012 11:16:33 AM

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard in about 1~2 years to overclock the i5 2500k and I want the 560 Ti to ensure any future monitor upgrades.

Can this is system last for about 4 years for acceptable settings gaming?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
January 3, 2012 12:04:00 PM

Yes it will be good , i don't know if 4 years , but 2-3 years for sure.
Share
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2012 1:03:23 PM

Build looks good, Goku.
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:07:40 PM

Thanks a lot for all the help!
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:07:56 PM

Best answer selected by KaKkaR0T.
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:11:10 PM

As tech goes, you can reasonably expect about three years. That is how long it takes for significant upgrades in hardware and software to appear.

I prefer to stay behind the curve and let someone else do the beta testing and wild spending. I am just now getting to the 2008-2009 era games. My system is weak by current standards, but it is a beast for some of the older games. It also only cost $437. I basically keep my systems until they no long do whatever it is that I want to do. At that point I either upgrade or build new as appropriate.

Another advantage is that it has been forever since I paid $50 for a game. I get most of mine off the $9.99 bargain rack. The good games currently on the market will still be just as good three years from now. I can wait. As you get older, you get tired of chasing your tail.
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:13:07 PM

I would choose something more like this. The overclock on the video card you chose is so mild it's practically guaranteed, and isn't worth paying 20% more. And as has already been pointed out, the power supply you originally had is beefier than you need. With the savings I chose a better motherboard; it seems kind of silly to buy a $60 motherboard now and upgrade to an $80 one a couple of years down the road, when you can just spend a little more and get the better one now.
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:23:49 PM

I know it is silly but I have already overshot my budget, and the outervision PSU calculator recommends 612 watts.

I will try and convince my dad about getting a Z68 :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 1:27:42 PM

KaKkaR0T said:
I know it is silly but I have already overshot my budget, and the outervision PSU calculator recommends 612 watts.

I will try and convince my dad about getting a Z68 :) 


Use the old "I'll never as for another thing as long as I live" routine. Gets 'em every time. And don't forget the sad puppy dog eyes. ;) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 6:04:46 PM

KaKkaR0T said:
I know it is silly but I have already overshot my budget, and the outervision PSU calculator recommends 612 watts.

I will try and convince my dad about getting a Z68 :) 


I honestly don't know how those PSU wattage calculators get their numbers. I have a 2600k @4.4 GHz and an overclocked GTX 460, and at 100% CPU and GPU, my computer uses like 350 watts. Newegg's calculator says I should have a 529 W PSU -- to run at stock, nevermind my overclocks. The important thing is the 12v rails: the OCZ ModXStream 500W provides 36 amps on the 12v rails, which is more than the 30 amps recommended for that video card. You wouldn't want to run your PSU anywhere near 100%, and in fact they're most efficient at 50%, but your CPU and GPU also aren't ever going be at full load ever for more than a few seconds at a time. Unless you're running distributed computing like Folding@Home, it's gonna be under 300 W practically all the time.
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 6:43:52 PM

Did anybody look at the RAM??? He has got 1 stick. Sure it is 4 GBs but when it comes to RAM it is also about as many channels/paths for the CPU to use...I would look into 2 sticks especially with a quad core processor. For $20 more you can get a 2x4GB set, and that is going to fix your biggest bottleneck. After that, the MB could use a huge upgrade...

You only need ~500w PSU.

Personally, I would sacrifice GPU(6870 over 560Ti) for better MB, RAM, and CPU. The next line of GPUs are coming out so the old series will soon be going down in price most likely. Besides, 6870 in CrossfireX is a pretty good setup, but so is the 560Ti in SLI.

What is your final build after all of these suggestions?
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 9:43:47 PM

Guy's on a budget =/ I noticed but figured it was intentional. He can easily upgrade that later, but right now he's already pushing his limit. GPU, CPU, and motherboard are all expensive core parts, and he can keep them for the next five years. The RAM is a neat corner to cut that he can fill in whenever he has a spare 20 lying around.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 2:32:12 AM

I convinced my dad for an ASUS P8Z68-M PRO so that I can add a Hyper 212 + later an OC the i5. Is it a good mobo? I will not be using SLI/CF.

I cannot afford the 4GB x2 right now, I'll buy it after lets say, 2-3 months.

Total budget - $700 + 6 120mm fans -> ~$740
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 2:36:37 AM

erikalikesfire said:
I honestly don't know how those PSU wattage calculators get their numbers. I have a 2600k @4.4 GHz and an overclocked GTX 460, and at 100% CPU and GPU, my computer uses like 350 watts. Newegg's calculator says I should have a 529 W PSU -- to run at stock, nevermind my overclocks. The important thing is the 12v rails: the OCZ ModXStream 500W provides 36 amps on the 12v rails, which is more than the 30 amps recommended for that video card. You wouldn't want to run your PSU anywhere near 100%, and in fact they're most efficient at 50%, but your CPU and GPU also aren't ever going be at full load ever for more than a few seconds at a time. Unless you're running distributed computing like Folding@Home, it's gonna be under 300 W practically all the time.


I have had very bad experience with PSUs lately, so I want to be sure that the PSU is an overkill.


Can I add another 4GB of the same make and model later or do I need to purchase a 4GBx2 kit?
And overcloking the 2500k requires just increasing the Core multiplier or anything else too?
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 4:07:05 AM

KaKkaR0T said:
I convinced my dad for an ASUS P8Z68-M PRO so that I can add a Hyper 212 + later an OC the i5. Is it a good mobo? I will not be using SLI/CF.

I cannot afford the 4GB x2 right now, I'll buy it after lets say, 2-3 months.

Total budget - $700 + 6 120mm fans -> ~$740



It's good he agreed. One other argument I forgot about it that the z68 will save on the electric bill with the Virtu technology.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 4:18:50 AM

KaKkaR0T said:
I have had very bad experience with PSUs lately, so I want to be sure that the PSU is an overkill.


Can I add another 4GB of the same make and model later or do I need to purchase a 4GBx2 kit?
And overcloking the 2500k requires just increasing the Core multiplier or anything else too?


The motherboard looks good, and I can understand wanting to be cautious about power supplies. Yes, you can add the extra stick of ram later, but you want to be sure you get not just the same specs but the exact same model. Bookmark the Newegg page for the RAM you got.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 4:10:47 PM

tlmck said:
It's good he agreed. One other argument I forgot about it that the z68 will save on the electric bill with the Virtu technology.


I actually do not care about electricity bill.


And thanks everybody!
m
0
l
January 5, 2012 5:46:22 AM

KaKkaR0T said:
I actually do not care about electricity bill.


And thanks everybody!



I am sure your dad does though as he is the one paying for it.
m
0
l
!