Sign in with
Your question

Internet Connection Sharing

Last response: in Networking
January 28, 2011 1:42:03 PM

Hello all

I've been using internet connection sharing to use my laptop to link another computer by means of having the computer connecting via ethernet and my laptop wirelessly (other laptop doesn't have wireless). Works fine.

But, is it possible that there is some kind of software that can do any one of the following?
- Limit up/down speeds for each computer to the internet (So that one computer can be assigned more speed than the other) (If not possible, limit speeds for all computers)
- Monitor whereabouts in the internet has the computer been going to

Other than that, is there a way to make my laptop wireless card to show up as a proper access point, not a computer-to-computer adhoc network? (So that computers can reconnect automatically). It is a broadcom wireless card (doesn't show what kind of card it is, simply "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter"

Laptop basic specs:
Wireless: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Ethernet: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller 10/100mbps
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Core i3 350M 2.27GHz

Thanks all!
a b D Laptop
January 28, 2011 5:55:17 PM

spend the money and get a wireless router.

controlling the bandwidth is not possible without using industrial grade network equipment.
in some home routers you can try to control the bandwidth sharing by using the QoS feature.

there is the browse history or there are parental softwares that will log the browsing history
m
l
January 28, 2011 11:08:05 PM

I do not want to get a router, as this is only used temporily sometimes, and sometimes on the move, when there is no power outlet and we use those USB stick mobile broadband
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2011 12:46:20 AM

Control over the target PC's to throttle: No
Computer belong to another person?: Yes
All is my computers: No/None

I just want to connect another computer (Maybe 2 or 3) to my laptop. The other computer will access the internet through my laptop by means of "internet connection sharing", and I want to throttle the internet connection to their computer and/or track where abouts are they browsing on the internet.

The connection can be only temporily and won't be always connected. It is used on the move so my laptop wil have a mobile broadband usb stick,
m
l
January 29, 2011 10:15:12 PM

Best answer selected by edmond419.
m
l
July 21, 2011 6:34:10 AM

edmond419 said:
Control over the target PC's to throttle: No
Computer belong to another person?: Yes
All is my computers: No/None

I just want to connect another computer (Maybe 2 or 3) to my laptop. The other computer will access the internet through my laptop by means of "internet connection sharing", and I want to throttle the internet connection to their computer and/or track where abouts are they browsing on the internet.

The connection can be only temporily and won't be always connected. It is used on the move so my laptop wil have a mobile broadband usb stick,

Hello, i am GS from india. i have one querie. please give me procedure how to access net from laptop to my computer
Laptop is on wireless network, i connected laptop and computer with pach card. please guide me how to configure to access net from laptop to computer. regards
my email:p rem_satya123@yahoo.co.in
m
l
!