Closed Solved

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting

I recently logged on and noticed that i got an error that said, "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting" followed by a black desktop that says, "Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of windows is not genuine". This is strange because I have a legit copy of windows, and i am currently using it on my other computer as well with no issues. I am not getting an error code when I log on such as 0x80070005 however when i try to use the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and i try to copy the information i keep getting an error. Could somone please help me!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about victim software counterfeiting
  1. Best answer
    You can only use a single license key on one computer,therefore the other install is considered not genuine by microsoft.
  2. To make it legit you will need to purchase another key from microsoft!
  3. Only if you have a family pack license.
  4. Mcpepsii said:
    This is strange because I have a legit copy of windows, and i am currently using it on my other computer as well with no issues.

Therein lies your problem -- the authentication server keeps track of the license and it currently shows it in use by more than 1 system so flags it as non genuine !! -- the license can only be used on 1 system at a time and once you place it on another system the first systems license is no longer valid.
  5. Best answer selected by mcpepsii.
  6. Hmm this sums up alot haha, Thanks
  7. Thanks for the backup JD ^
  8. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Software Windows 7