Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Graphics Card SLI high temp. GTX 560Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 5, 2011 7:32:23 PM

Hi
I recently upgraded my pc from GTX 460 2gb to GTX 560 Ti SLi
I have HAF 932,Gigabyte X58-Ud5,I7 950,PSU Corsair tx 850 v2

While playing games my Upper Graphics card ( almost no air flow) is pumping up to 90c ...maybe above too...
whereas lower one with a good amount of air flow goes up to 70-75

I am a Gamer/Game Designer. I play them at max settings.

Is there a way to cool my upper gpu temp.

I have arranged them in 1 and 3 slots and as they r dual slotted gpus.. they are almost sandwiched.




a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 7:35:19 PM

I know there exists some anti-static spacers you can put between the cards to help with the airflow. You can also help by adding a 200mm fan on the side panel of the half932. Other than that, there is little you can do other than buy water cooling which costs $$$$. :p 
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 7:48:40 PM

get a new motherboard that will allow a space inbetween the slots for good airflow? or liquid cool the cards would be my suggestions

im noob at SLI, my bridge is rigid and my board has great spacing between the 2, i didnt know there was a flexible bridge

see mine here:




chaz
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 7:50:33 PM

The Half 932 cones with a 230mm side fan already installed. It also has a front 230mm and a top230mm and a rear 140mm. With all those fans I am surprised you have a heat issue. When you put your Pc together did you use the vga cooling adaptor that is inside the case and blows directly on the cards through a special adaptor that you can put a 120mm fan in.
m
0
l
a c 75 Î Nvidia
a c 225 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 7:54:46 PM

Have the side fan installed ?
k
One of the reasons I like the Antec 1200 and HAF-X is that they have ducts and fans to address this issue forcing air from behind the HD cages thru the cards. Its been a while since I have done a 932 build but I kind a remeber it having the ame thing. Tho in cases / MomBos mlike yours, it is a tiny window to force air thru

I also like to grab boards with more than 2 GFX card slots so as to allow some space in between.....for example the WS Revolution here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lets you have a nice spacing between the cards by using the two blue slots.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 7:57:36 PM

Yea.. all fans are installed. i front, 1 top , 1 side 1 rear... while playing crysis 2,witcher 2 my upper gpu hits 89-93c
lower one stays around 80
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 7:58:13 PM

If that doesn't work then try putting the second card in the bottom slot , it's a x8 slot and you won't notice the difference between that one and the x16 slot. That way there will be some open space between the cards.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 7:59:23 PM

No i just left it as it is i.e., stock


inzone said:
The Half 932 cones with a 230mm side fan already installed. It also has a front 230mm and a top230mm and a rear 140mm. With all those fans I am surprised you have a heat issue. When you put your Pc together did you use the vga cooling adaptor that is inside the case and blows directly on the cards through a special adaptor that you can put a 120mm fan in.

m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:00:14 PM

bharathgdk said:
Yea.. all fans are installed. i front, 1 top , 1 side 1 rear... while playing crysis 2,witcher 2 my upper gpu hits 89-93c
lower one stays around 80



Do you have the internal air duct installed?
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:01:03 PM

Tried that but my PSU is blocking it and to mount my PSU on the top i have to remove my top fan

inzone said:
If that doesn't work then try putting the second card in the bottom slot , it's a x8 slot and you won't notice the difference between that one and the x16 slot. That way there will be some open space between the cards.

m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:03:49 PM

inzone said:
Do you have the internal air duct installed?



Aaahhh!.. I guess not.. this is the first time i am exposed to this situation. so i dont know them
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:06:57 PM

The internal air duct comes with the case and you have to buy a 120 or 140mm fan to mount inside the duct and then it attaches to the hard drive rack and blows air directly onto the video cards through the duct.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:10:48 PM

inzone said:
The internal air duct comes with the case and you have to buy a 120 or 140mm fan to mount inside the duct and then it attaches to the hard drive rack and blows air directly onto the video cards through the duct.


Hmmm no i got nothing of that kind.
There is no duct through my Hard disks ( i have 4 HDDs)
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:15:59 PM

What are the safe temps?
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:19:49 PM

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the case that you have correct?
If it is then click on the link I provided and then click on the picture and scroll to the side picture with the case side pannel open and you can see on the left side of the hdd rack an air duct with three slots on the side that you can slide the ends of the video cards into .
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:21:17 PM

inzone said:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the case that you have correct?
If it is then click on the link I provided and then click on the picture and scroll to the side picture with the case side pannel open and you can see on the left side of the hdd rack an air duct with three slots on the side that you can slide the ends of the video cards into .



Yep!
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:21:30 PM

bharathgdk said:
What are the safe temps?



I don't know for those paticular cards but the temps you have posted are very high and will eventually shorten the life of the card.
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:24:00 PM

Do you see the air duct in the picture that I am refering to?
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:28:51 PM

inzone said:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the case that you have correct?
If it is then click on the link I provided and then click on the picture and scroll to the side picture with the case side pannel open and you can see on the left side of the hdd rack an air duct with three slots on the side that you can slide the ends of the video cards into .


This my setup. .

m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:29:43 PM

inzone said:
Do you see the air duct in the picture that I am refering to?


Yea.. they r almost same. but my case has HDD rack rigid.
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:38:23 PM

I looked at the image that you posted and I did not see the air duct. Do you still have the box the case came in and can you look through it to see what parts you have left over that you didn't know what to do with.
If you don't have the air duct then it looks like you can mout a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , maybe some velcro or something.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:44:31 PM

inzone said:
I looked at the image that you posted and I did not see the air duct. Do you still have the box the case came in and can you look through it to see what parts you have left over that you didn't know what to do with.
If you don't have the air duct then it looks like you can mout a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , maybe some velcro or something.


I assembled my pc and i am good at it.
I found no parts left out after the assembly. except the stock heat sink wihich i replaced with coolermaster over CPU.

I just ran a furmark test and my Gpu's hit 81 and 75 (upper/lower)

So this is fine??.. I just removed my Gpus and tried to switch one to 8x slot. that didnt happen as PSU was blocking. so i again set them back as they were.
i ran the test with full screen 1920x1080 Multisampling 32x.
m
0
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 8:53:11 PM

Can you mount a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , that way the air will blow directly on the video cards.
By the way do you have the owners manual for the case , because there should have been an air duct included in the case that you bought and if it wasn't too long ago that you bought it maybe you can contact them to get them to send you the part that should have been included in the first place.
The other thing I would do is contact the tech support for the cards and find out from them what the temps are that are acceptable for the cards.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 8:57:14 PM

inzone said:
Can you mount a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , that way the air will blow directly on the video cards.
By the way do you have the owners manual for the case , because there should have been an air duct included in the case that you bought and if it wasn't too long ago that you bought it maybe you can contact them to get them to send you the part that should have been included in the first place.
The other thing I would do is contact the tech support for the cards and find out from them what the temps are that are acceptable for the cards.


I bought my HAF 932 1 yr back. and i live in india.. so contacting them for the part is striked out.

I had a chat with nvidia they say gtx 560ti can bear upto 120c. ( they say all cards are tested upto 120c.)
But the ASUS software has a default alarm when the Gpu crosses 90 ( it says Overheating)

If i mount a fan near HDD's what abt the hot air from HDDs.. no problem?

There is a side fan blowing in air!.(stock)
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:33:57 AM

I have removed 1 Gpu as of now... and the temp at d max stress level( fur mark) 59c...

I am thinking of going for a new mobo!
Plz suggest that has enough spacing b/w Gpus.... and also can accomodate 6 RAMs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 1:43:46 AM

Have you used MSI Afterburner to set the user defined fan control. You can use it to set the fan to ramp up quicker with the temps. Your top card will probably be a little hotter than the bottom card but not that high. My top GTX 560 ti never goes above 65 while playing BF3.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:47:41 AM

Before you go spending a heap of money on a new motherboard I would suggest downloading msi afterburner. It has a very easy to use fan controller that is a lot more intelligent than the reference design. It's set up like a graph so all you do is move the box at the degree of temperature (most likely around 75 or so) you want the fans to really start speeding up.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

I have a motherboard running 2x 580's stacked with little space in between, and even with afterburner running the fan speeds I still don't hear the fans an awful lot. My top card gets 5 degrees up from the bottom one at most on load, avg about 3. 72c bottom, 75 top.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 9:46:42 AM

lemlo said:
Before you go spending a heap of money on a new motherboard I would suggest downloading msi afterburner. It has a very easy to use fan controller that is a lot more intelligent than the reference design. It's set up like a graph so all you do is move the box at the degree of temperature (most likely around 75 or so) you want the fans to really start speeding up.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

I have a motherboard running 2x 580's stacked with little space in between, and even with afterburner running the fan speeds I still don't hear the fans an awful lot. My top card gets 5 degrees up from the bottom one at most on load, avg about 3. 72c bottom, 75 top.


My Gpu z ASUS so i get a software from Asus to control the Fan Speed and all other tweaks.
Can you plz post a pic of ur SLi .. i want to chk the spacing. I feel mine are too close...
The Gap b/w my Gpuz z hardly 3-4mm..They are exactly far away that they dont rub against each other. dat worries me a lot.

I made a setting so that my Gpu Fan Speed hits max wen temps cross 65c...( i made a gradual inc. this is the last adj. knob)
now my gpu doesnt cross 61c. i didnt try this using SLi.

I want to make sure the gap is OK!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 2:09:58 PM

Your gap is fine. You have one expansion slot between the 2 cards, you should be fine.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 6:04:59 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Your gap is fine. You have one expansion slot between the 2 cards, you should be fine.


The Second Expansion Slot is blocked by the 1st ,so i kept the 2nd gpu in the third slot... jus have a look at the link. i have an image attached.

My Cards are giving heavy sound!...due 2 high fan speed.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img201110211930...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 6:21:26 PM

They are closer then I thought. I would try another run in sli and see if the temps are any better on the first card now. If temps stay around 70c then I wouldnt worry about it. The first card will probably be 5-10c higher than your second card. The only remedy if the temps arent any better is to find a way to funnel air to the first card somehow. If the noise bothers you then you might try to set the fan to 80% at 65c and see if that works.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 6:35:02 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
They are closer then I thought. I would try another run in sli and see if the temps are any better on the first card now. If temps stay around 70c then I wouldnt worry about it. The first card will probably be 5-10c higher than your second card. The only remedy if the temps arent any better is to find a way to funnel air to the first card somehow. If the noise bothers you then you might try to set the fan to 80% at 65c and see if that works.


I ran Furmark Test Multisampling 32x and 1920x1080 Full screen with SLI

The Upper GPU hits 80 and the lower stays around 65-67.

I set the fan to full speed.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 7:41:40 PM

I would try to funnel some air straight to it. Have you swapped the cards to rule out the card?
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 7:55:23 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
I would try to funnel some air straight to it. Have you swapped the cards to rule out the card?


Yea.. it tried all the possiblities! :D ... I cant create any way to inc d airflow for d upper gpu... ...
m
0
l

Best solution

November 7, 2011 12:37:25 AM

I see the problem, and was what i had feared. Last year I was running 2x Gigabyte gtx470 Super Overclock Edition cards with the 3x Windforce aftermarket cooling design. I had a horrible time keeping my top card cooled.

The correlation, and the issue at hand is, these aftermarket non-reference designs work fantastic in a single card config or in a 4x spaced sli config but not stacked. The reference cooling design is actually second only to water cooling as far as a stack goes.

I myself got a motherboard that had 4 slot width, double slot gap between each card, between 16x pcie's and my cooling situation was resolved. It was this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... motherboard that saved my arse for that particular build.

I had tried everything previously even getting a super powerful fan that was as loud as a vaccuum cleaner at max speeds to try and cool them down. Until I got the new motherboard it was unmanageable. It was a tough lesson for me and it was simply:

If you are running a multi-card stack and do not plan on watercooling purchase your cards in a reference design as that is exactly why they are designed that way with the blower method.

I highly recommend you do it fast too as I had found afterwords that I had done permanent damage to my top card and had to re-flash it's bios to make it think it was a reference 470 instead of a factory super overclock to stop it from rendering artifiacts. I hope you find a good price on a board that does the job you need. Thos cards are worth it.
Share
November 7, 2011 9:11:19 AM

lemlo said:
I see the problem, and was what i had feared. Last year I was running 2x Gigabyte gtx470 Super Overclock Edition cards with the 3x Windforce aftermarket cooling design. I had a horrible time keeping my top card cooled.

The correlation, and the issue at hand is, these aftermarket non-reference designs work fantastic in a single card config or in a 4x spaced sli config but not stacked. The reference cooling design is actually second only to water cooling as far as a stack goes.

I myself got a motherboard that had 4 slot width, double slot gap between each card, between 16x pcie's and my cooling situation was resolved. It was this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... motherboard that saved my arse for that particular build.

I had tried everything previously even getting a super powerful fan that was as loud as a vaccuum cleaner at max speeds to try and cool them down. Until I got the new motherboard it was unmanageable. It was a tough lesson for me and it was simply:

If you are running a multi-card stack and do not plan on watercooling purchase your cards in a reference design as that is exactly why they are designed that way with the blower method.

I highly recommend you do it fast too as I had found afterwords that I had done permanent damage to my top card and had to re-flash it's bios to make it think it was a reference 470 instead of a factory super overclock to stop it from rendering artifiacts. I hope you find a good price on a board that does the job you need. Thos cards are worth it.


:D .. The instant it was hitting 90 i removed my Gpu and i am only running with 1 card. I am thinking to buy Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any other mobo that you can suggest!?....


m
0
l
November 8, 2011 3:47:26 AM

The spacing between 16x slots on that board are just beautiful. If your comfortable with that price range that's a real nice one.

I found this msi board for a bit cheaper that could work as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Though not quite as plush as that gigaboard.

When looking for boards, check the back side pictures of the motherboard and you can see if it's soldered in for 16x or 8x. The pcie slots that only have half the soldering points on the back are only 8x wired. You picked a good one right off the bat though.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 10:39:59 AM

Best answer selected by bharathgdk.
m
0
l
!