Graphics Card SLI high temp. GTX 560Ti

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi
I recently upgraded my pc from GTX 460 2gb to GTX 560 Ti SLi
I have HAF 932,Gigabyte X58-Ud5,I7 950,PSU Corsair tx 850 v2

While playing games my Upper Graphics card ( almost no air flow) is pumping up to 90c ...maybe above too...
whereas lower one with a good amount of air flow goes up to 70-75

I am a Gamer/Game Designer. I play them at max settings.

Is there a way to cool my upper gpu temp.

I have arranged them in 1 and 3 slots and as they r dual slotted gpus.. they are almost sandwiched.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img20111021193018.jpg/

Solution
I see the problem, and was what i had feared. Last year I was running 2x Gigabyte gtx470 Super Overclock Edition cards with the 3x Windforce aftermarket cooling design. I had a horrible time keeping my top card cooled.

The correlation, and the issue at hand is, these aftermarket non-reference designs work fantastic in a single card config or in a 4x spaced sli config but not stacked. The reference cooling design is actually second only to water cooling as far as a stack goes.

I myself got a motherboard that had 4 slot width, double slot gap between each card, between 16x pcie's and my cooling situation was resolved. It was this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131594 motherboard that saved my arse for...

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I know there exists some anti-static spacers you can put between the cards to help with the airflow. You can also help by adding a 200mm fan on the side panel of the half932. Other than that, there is little you can do other than buy water cooling which costs $$$$. :p

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
get a new motherboard that will allow a space inbetween the slots for good airflow? or liquid cool the cards would be my suggestions

im noob at SLI, my bridge is rigid and my board has great spacing between the 2, i didnt know there was a flexible bridge

see mine here:

20111103235504.jpg

chaz

The Half 932 cones with a 230mm side fan already installed. It also has a front 230mm and a top230mm and a rear 140mm. With all those fans I am surprised you have a heat issue. When you put your Pc together did you use the vga cooling adaptor that is inside the case and blows directly on the cards through a special adaptor that you can put a 120mm fan in.

Have the side fan installed ?
k
One of the reasons I like the Antec 1200 and HAF-X is that they have ducts and fans to address this issue forcing air from behind the HD cages thru the cards. Its been a while since I have done a 932 build but I kind a remeber it having the ame thing. Tho in cases / MomBos mlike yours, it is a tiny window to force air thru

I also like to grab boards with more than 2 GFX card slots so as to allow some space in between.....for example the WS Revolution here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

Lets you have a nice spacing between the cards by using the two blue slots.

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
No i just left it as it is i.e., stock

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Tried that but my PSU is blocking it and to mount my PSU on the top i have to remove my top fan

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Hmmm no i got nothing of that kind.
There is no duct through my Hard disks ( i have 4 HDDs)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

This is the case that you have correct?
If it is then click on the link I provided and then click on the picture and scroll to the side picture with the case side pannel open and you can see on the left side of the hdd rack an air duct with three slots on the side that you can slide the ends of the video cards into .

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Yep!

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

This my setup. .

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/imag1096.jpg/

I looked at the image that you posted and I did not see the air duct. Do you still have the box the case came in and can you look through it to see what parts you have left over that you didn't know what to do with.
If you don't have the air duct then it looks like you can mout a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , maybe some velcro or something.

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I assembled my pc and i am good at it.
I found no parts left out after the assembly. except the stock heat sink wihich i replaced with coolermaster over CPU.

I just ran a furmark test and my Gpu's hit 81 and 75 (upper/lower)

So this is fine??.. I just removed my Gpus and tried to switch one to 8x slot. that didnt happen as PSU was blocking. so i again set them back as they were.
i ran the test with full screen 1920x1080 Multisampling 32x.

Can you mount a fan between the end of the video cards and the hdd rack , that way the air will blow directly on the video cards.
By the way do you have the owners manual for the case , because there should have been an air duct included in the case that you bought and if it wasn't too long ago that you bought it maybe you can contact them to get them to send you the part that should have been included in the first place.
The other thing I would do is contact the tech support for the cards and find out from them what the temps are that are acceptable for the cards.

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I bought my HAF 932 1 yr back. and i live in india.. so contacting them for the part is striked out.

I had a chat with nvidia they say gtx 560ti can bear upto 120c. ( they say all cards are tested upto 120c.)
But the ASUS software has a default alarm when the Gpu crosses 90 ( it says Overheating)

If i mount a fan near HDD's what abt the hot air from HDDs.. no problem?

There is a side fan blowing in air!.(stock)

bharathgdk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I have removed 1 Gpu as of now... and the temp at d max stress level( fur mark) 59c...

I am thinking of going for a new mobo!
Plz suggest that has enough spacing b/w Gpus.... and also can accomodate 6 RAMs.