Closed

Budget Gaming PC

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2012 3:15:18 PM

Hello, everyone!

I'm very new to all of this, but I'm looking for a pre-built system that can run the newest games on a 20 inch LG monitor (so not necessarily super HD). I'm looking more for longevity than immediate wow factor... Something with which I can play the games that come out for a while.

At least 8 GB of memory and USB 3 would also be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to spend about 400 bucks for the system plus whatever needs to be added for the graphic card if I need to tack one on(total of about 500-650).

Finally (and this might be the tough one), I'd prefer to buy from Canada since that'll save me on pesky Duty fees. Can anyone help?

More about : budget gaming

January 6, 2012 12:47:30 AM

Helpful but a bit complex for me at this juncture.

Anything a bit more prebuilt?

I don't mind getting a Dell or HP or whatever and adding the Video card
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2012 6:16:52 AM

Sorry. I missed the pre-built word. Reading to fast again.

However, the problem you are going to run into is that pre-built systems from Dell, HP, or whoever, are not usually going to accept a gaming card without a power supply upgrade. Those shipped with integrated graphics are just going to have enough power supply to add on a very low end video card should the internal graphics wear out.

The other problem is that if you buy a gaming rig from one of these folks, they will tack on a $300 premium at mimum, and you still won't get a very good gaming rig. There goes the budget.

Having said all that, my best advice would be to go to one of the Canadian parts dealers like Canada Direct, NCIX, and even Newegg has a Canadian site now. I cannot really recommend Tiger Direct. Tiger's so called "deals" are made to prey on inexperienced folks and I do not do business with such people.

Anyways, a quick check of the sites I mentioned I did run across one from Newegg Canada. It is a middle of the road gamer much like my rig. You might have to turn down some settings in modern games, especially if you have larger than say a 19 or 20" monitor, but all should still be playable.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688...

The power supply should allow for a slight upgrade on the video card to say a Radeon 6850, but anything more will require a new beefier power supply. The good news is that these are more upgradeable than Dell or HP.
Score
January 16, 2012 7:08:48 PM

Hi everyone.

I got this offer for a built system. Let me know what you think:

★Intel i5 2500K Sandy Bridge unlocked CPU
★Gigabyte Z68MA D2H B3 Intel motherboard
★8gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory
★Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6850 1gb 256-bit GDDR5 video
★750GB Western Digital Blue 7200rpm hard drive
★Samsung 24x DVD writer
★Coolermaster Elite 330 PC gaming case
★Antec Basiq 450 watt 80+ bronze power supply

860$ Tax in

Thoughts?
Score
January 17, 2012 1:56:17 AM

darkoffspring said:
Hi everyone.

I got this offer for a built system. Let me know what you think:

★Intel i5 2500K Sandy Bridge unlocked CPU
★Gigabyte Z68MA D2H B3 Intel motherboard
★8gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory
★Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6850 1gb 256-bit GDDR5 video
★750GB Western Digital Blue 7200rpm hard drive
★Samsung 24x DVD writer
★Coolermaster Elite 330 PC gaming case
★Antec Basiq 450 watt 80+ bronze power supply

860$ Tax in

Thoughts?

since you were asking for a pre-built computer you do gotta take in mind that they are gonna charge you for labor so if YOU built it yourself itd be around $790.00 usd so hes charging you around $70-ish for labor :) 
Score
January 18, 2012 4:31:56 PM

Is this a good build though? Specifically, is the power supply enough?
Score
January 27, 2012 9:54:15 PM

Sooo... looks like I'm building it myself or trying to. Here are my parts

Processor
Intel i5 2500k

Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Pro

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon 6870

PSU
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

Case
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600

Still Need
Hard Drive
Optical Drive

Thoughts?
Score

Best solution

January 29, 2012 1:29:36 AM

How much space are you going to need for that HDD?

What kind of optical drive do you want/need? Blu-Ray, DVD, etc?

Everything else looks fine enough. It'll be a nice gaming rig.
January 30, 2012 7:16:54 PM

HDDs are slowly dropping in price one again. If you can wait, then wait a few more months until prices drop even further. Plus, if you waited a few months, you can get a 3570K processor instead of the 2500K, or if you are lucky the 2500K at a discounted price.

Or, just take any current HDD you have and stick it in there until later this year, when full production will return to the HDD manufacturing industry, allowing prices to reach or come close to what they formally were.
Score
January 31, 2012 6:43:50 PM

Well, the HD I have now is old as dirt. I may have to dive in and splurge. How's the Seagate drive I mentioned above?
Score
February 1, 2012 2:25:54 AM

I think it will be fine. I have Seagate and Western Digital drives, I enjoy both.

However, keep in mind there is a chance of getting a bad HDD (or any other component). Its all part of the game, with the same chance happening if you bought out of the store or through someone like Dell.
Score
February 1, 2012 5:40:48 AM

Sounds great. Thanks for the help. I'll let you guys know how it goes
Score
March 7, 2012 7:54:46 PM

Best answer selected by darkoffspring.
Score
March 7, 2012 7:55:53 PM

Hey, everyone. System is working great, and I now know how to build desktops. Not too shabby. Thank you for all your help!
Score
!