Sign in with
Your question

970A-G46 compatibility with FX6300

Last response: in Motherboards
February 22, 2013 4:55:08 AM

I just bought the MSI 970A-G46 on sale from Frys along with a FX6300 CPU. However, I have heard some talk about how certain motherboards need to have thier BIOS updated before they work with these Piledriver CPUs. Will I have to update the BIOS on my motherboard? I don't have an older CPU I can flash with, so if I cannot use my FX6300 with it, then I'll return it and find another board.
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 1:08:23 PM

Yes, it does require the 7693v1A.zip BIOS version, released in Oct 2012.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/970A-G46.html
If the board was manufactured after that date, probbaly the BIOS version would support the CPU.
If not, a BIOS update is necessary.
Some ASUS boards feature the Flashback that allow you to update the BIOS without using a supported CPU.
m
l
February 22, 2013 3:49:22 PM

Is there any way that I can tell whether my MB has the newest BIOS installed?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:03:43 PM

alexn301 said:
I just bought the MSI 970A-G46 on sale from Frys along with a FX6300 CPU. However, I have heard some talk about how certain motherboards need to have thier BIOS updated before they work with these Piledriver CPUs. Will I have to update the BIOS on my motherboard? I don't have an older CPU I can flash with, so if I cannot use my FX6300 with it, then I'll return it and find another board.

It works right out of the box - I myself, have the same setup, and it works fine without a bios upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:18:04 PM

alexn301 said:
Is there any way that I can tell whether my MB has the newest BIOS installed?

asking the retailer is a start. if it's an on store pickup, it should be written somewhere on the box.

DComander1x said:
It works right out of the box - I myself, have the same setup, and it works fine without a bios upgrade.

that just means you got lucky. as alexoiu pointed out, you likely got one manufactured after Oct 2012. some people, however aren''t as fortunate, and receive an older stock with an older BIOS. happens quite commonly, and can be one of the likely culprit of a PC not POSTing when turned on.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:27:33 PM

Hazle said:
asking the retailer is a start. if it's an on store pickup, it should be written somewhere on the box.

that just means you got lucky. as alexoiu pointed out, you likely got one manufactured after Oct 2012. some people, however aren''t as fortunate, and receive an older stock with an older BIOS. happens quite commonly, and can be one of the likely culprit of a PC not POSTing when turned on.

that is true, I got mine from newegg, which is usually very good with that, though, I don't know how good frys is with their stocking. If anything, a simple cheap AM3 Sempron should give him the ability to flash a bios using MSIs utility.
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:33:23 PM

I have the box right now, is there any way I can tell by the numbers which BIOS I have? Or at least the manufacturing date?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:36:01 PM

alexn301 said:
I have the box right now, is there any way I can tell by the numbers which BIOS I have? Or at least the manufacturing date?

try your model number here - http://us.msi.com/service/cpu-support/ - that should help tell you what the BIOS is. If not, try the CPU & Board, if it doesn't work, try getting a cheap AM3 Sempron from a friend, or from a store & update the BIOS.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:42:55 PM

DComander1x said:
that is true, I got mine from newegg, which is usually very good with that, though, I don't know how good frys is with their stocking. If anything, a simple cheap AM3 Sempron should give him the ability to flash a bios using MSIs utility.

a fair solution, as long as they're willing to spend another $25-35 for one after the bad news.

alexn301 said:

try to look out for this set of characters: 7693v1A. if you see something like 7693v10, 7693v12, 7693v15 etc., then you kinda lucked out. either return the board explaining the problem and get an updated one, ask around if anyone can update it for you or have a spare compatible CPU, or pay a bit for a sempron CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:45:58 PM

Hazle said:
a fair solution, as long as they're willing to spend another $25-35 for one after the bad news.

True
And as Hazle Said, look for the bios version in the S/N on the box - if its ###-7693-020, then it works, anything below that, then you will have to update the bios.
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:56:39 PM

Thanks for all the help, I checked and it seems like my board was made December 2012. I'll keep the board, and if it doesn't work I'll return it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2013 4:58:29 PM

alexn301 said:
Thanks for all the help, I checked and it seems like my board was made December 2012. I'll keep the board, and if it doesn't work I'll return it.

It should work, as its after October bios update, but with the potential for DOAs present, you should test it anyway.
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:53:16 PM

I built my computer yesterday and everything works fine, thank you everyone for your help :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 5:12:03 PM

alexn301 said:
I built my computer yesterday and everything works fine, thank you everyone for your help :D 

Awesome. Your Very Welcome!
m
l
March 5, 2013 5:34:58 AM

I also went with the 970A and a fx6300. works great with windows 7 but windows 8 isn't seen as a bootable device
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2013 5:43:14 AM

CommanderRhyker said:
I also went with the 970A and a fx6300. works great with windows 7 but windows 8 isn't seen as a bootable device

Thats odd, Ive tested windows 8 Consumer Preview on it, using a hard drive from an old test PC, and it works fine for me.
Did you try setting the board to ahci mode rather then IDE?
m
l
March 5, 2013 6:05:25 AM

How would I change it to AHCI mode?? what is AHCI mode??? IDE?? it uses SATA no IDE cable connectors..
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2013 5:43:12 PM

CommanderRhyker said:
How would I change it to AHCI mode?? what is AHCI mode??? IDE?? it uses SATA no IDE cable connectors..

Through the BIOS At Settings, then to Integrated Peripherals, then to SATA Mode. If its set to IDE, set it to AHCI mode.
AHCI mode is basically true SATA mode, rather then emulating an IDE device, of which Windows 8 most likely doesn't support any longer.
m
l
March 5, 2013 7:38:06 PM

thanks dc that was very clear and I actually understood it. A+ for effort with results.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2013 8:23:53 PM

CommanderRhyker said:
thanks dc that was very clear and I actually understood it. A+ for effort with results.

No problem, and thanks.
m
l
October 21, 2013 2:35:31 AM

alexn301 said:
i have that bord and CPU it can be used but i do say to tern off all that ERP power saving stuff it will blue screen you avery ten minuets .no need to update for that

m
l
October 21, 2013 2:41:57 AM

CommanderRhyker said:

in the bios it has seting for windows 8 you need them of for windows 8 to work i got fed up with it and went back to Visa and it work very fine no bottle necking of blue screens so far it has been running for 5 days stat now and no problems.i did have to tell reedit to sorta trim my SSD ,but that is all i had to do ,,,,,i tred Windows 7 and 8 it ran like crap and blue screened every 60 to 120 minnets Visa very well
,,,,,it might say win 7 and win 8 ready but do not believe it =)
m
l
October 21, 2013 2:49:08 AM

DComander1x said:
CommanderRhyker said:

Thats odd, Ive tested windows 8 Consumer Preview on it, using a hard drive from an old test PC, and it works fine for me.
Did you try setting the board to ahci mode rather then IDE?

The IDE mode works for win 7 but not 8 .your speed will be very slow if you are using a SSD or a SATA drive, it has to be in AHCI to work well

m
l
October 21, 2013 2:51:19 AM

DComander1x said:
CommanderRhyker said:

Through the BIOS At Settings, then to Integrated Peripherals, then to SATA Mode. If its set to IDE, set it to AHCI mode.
AHCI mode is basically true SATA mode, rather then emulating an IDE device, of which Windows 8 most likely doesn't support any longer.

A++ great answer and win 8 will not work on IDE true i have try'd
m
l
October 21, 2013 2:58:46 AM

CommanderRhyker said:

i think window 8 uses a dif boot loader and when you set up your drive it puts it header in it own hidden sector ,that is y you can not down grade ,,,you have to put in a win xp disk to reformat it then put in 7 and let it reformat it and reload 7 ,,,,,8 is crap stay away from it it is made for tablet and smart phones not for a pc Microsoft is stupid for making it this way .when i play Black ops 2 on Win 7 and 8 i get 125 FPS on Vista i get 150 + FPS go figure old crapy os work alot better on my new pc then win 7 and 8 lol
m
l
October 21, 2013 3:01:20 AM

DComander1x said:
alexn301 said:

It should work, as its after October bios update, but with the potential for DOAs present, you should test it anyway.

DOAs present ?? what is this problem can you ablib it for me thank you.
m
l
!