GTX580 Worth it as of NOW?

Solution
I have three GTX 580's in 3-way sli and for the hell of it I took one out and ran two way sli and the only difference I saw was in the fps , the actual gameplay looked the same to me. I was playing BF3 on ultra with 190fps in 3-way and it dropped to 145fps in 2- way sli. Whan you go over 60fps you tend not to notice any difference. The only benefit I can see is if the release a game that has such demanding textures and requirements that you can barely get 40 to 50 fps with two 580's and with the third you go over 60 fps , that's just fictional thinking anyway.
Well , if you get them now then you can use them for two or three revisions before you would think of upgrading again. If you wait then you get the new card that we don't know the price of and we don't know for sure the capabilities of , so you can go with what you know or wait to get what you don't know.
The one thing you can think of it the release of the Bulldozer cpu from AMD and all the hype and promise that preceded it and we all know what happened there.
So nothing wrong with getting the two 580's now.
If you wait then you become a prisoner to the waiting game since you don't know the release date or if the date will be delayed.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Thanks!Great perspective.
But yes.I already have a gtx580 so thinking of going 3way.Or should i just buy a i7 3960X?And wait for next gen 7000series?

I think the 70 - 80% performance increase prediction is a bit too optimistic.....

5870 -> 6970 was 14%
460 -> 560 was 32%

In my experience...the new cards come out right before XMas but really don't hit their stride (non-reference designs) until June. As for hat way to go, it's all about how much disposable income ya want to send in that direction. Maybe looking at it this way will help:

Twin 560's provide 862 fps at $0.50 per frame (900Mhz version is same price as reference version)
Twin 570's provide 873 fps at $0.80 per frame
Twin 580's provide 953 fps at $1.01 per frame
3-way 580's provide 1030 fps at $1.40 per frame

All based on Guru3D's game test suite

Are you thinking triple monitors, or triple graphics cards?

Regardless anything more than dual GTX580 is not much worth it.

Get a second one now, and you will be able to play anything out there well for some time.
If and when you want more, just sell the GTX580's and get the next best thing.
It seems to me that the previous generation top end cards hold their value well.

If you now have a 2500K or better, there will be little value in sandy bridge -e/ Most games only use two or three fast cores, so a 6 core cpu will be half unused. I would wait for ivy bridge on the cpu side.

I have three GTX 580's in 3-way sli and for the hell of it I took one out and ran two way sli and the only difference I saw was in the fps , the actual gameplay looked the same to me. I was playing BF3 on ultra with 190fps in 3-way and it dropped to 145fps in 2- way sli. Whan you go over 60fps you tend not to notice any difference. The only benefit I can see is if the release a game that has such demanding textures and requirements that you can barely get 40 to 50 fps with two 580's and with the third you go over 60 fps , that's just fictional thinking anyway.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I know mate.But i buy it for longevity you see its my brothers money.He aint got much left and out of work so he wants the best thing now so he doesnt have to worry about gaming problems in the near future.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I am gaming on triple graphic cards on single monitor.