RAM not running at 1600 mhz when the sticker on it says it should.

Sayan Mullick

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello, I have 2 Corsair XMS 3 4GB module that says it should work at a stock speed of 1600Mhz. but upon installation i find that the speed is upper-limited to only 1333 mhz. I did a BIOS inspection and thought that changing the speed might fix my problem. So I changed the speed which said "13.33" to "16.00". But upon doing my motherboard crashes. It doesn't boot up. Rather goes back into the default settings after 10 seconds of black screen.

My question is, do i need to change the Latency and the Voltage of the DRAM also to achieve the desired speed? If so, then what should be my values? If no, then how can I reach the 1600 Mhz speed.

PS: I did manage to start up my computer at 1400 mhz but the games crash after 5 mins of play. So had to revert back to 1333 mhz.

I have a Gigabyte Z77P-D3 board (have never updated my BIOS), a i7 3770k Processor running at stock speed, ram already mentioned, a GTX 560 ti Hawk, and Coolermaster 700 watt PSU.

bucknutty

Distinguished
You really can't change individual ram settings anymore in the bios and get stable results. Well I guess you can if you know what your doing but in this example don't.

You want to adjust the XMP profile for the ram in the bios to profile 2, that is normally 1600.

Check out page 38 in the manual.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77p-d3_e.pdf

Intresting read on extreme memory profiles.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/extreme-memory-profile-ddr3-technology-paper.html

Sayan Mullick

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I did that too. The Motherboard doesn't start up after that. gives 5 to 6 beeping sounds and restarts with last known working settings. Do I need to update my BIOS or something??

Sayan Mullick

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I don't have the "Profile 2" rather just have the "Profile 1". But that too doesn't seem to work. Gives the same result as when I try to do it manually. Any way to actually reach that speed? I ask more so because if I change from XMS3 to Vengence, then too I might encounter the same problem.