Looking to upgrade my video Card

CP2323

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hello,

I am new to the website and looking to upgrade my video card. I am confused about what I should upgrade to.

I currently upgraded my system from an old AMD 64 X2 4200+ system.

I installed an Intel i3-2100 with an ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) MB, 8 gigs of ram, and windows 7.

I have an eVGA 8800GTS 512MB (g92) card that I want to upgrade.

The computer will be used predominantly for my kids to do research and internet stuff but I do want to play Kingdoms of Amular and The Old Republic on it.

Oh I currently have an Ultra 600w PSU but I would upgrade if necessary. I am looking to upgrade my monitor as well since my current is a small 1440 by 900 one.

Thank you.

Solution
1) if you upgrade your graphics card, you should make it a big enough jump or you may be disappointed. IN this case, I think you should be looking at a GTX560/GTX560ti/perhaps even a GTX570.

2) You are ok on the psu.
Here is what EVGA recommends for their graphics cards:

GTX550ti needs 400w with 24a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

3) On the monitor, I suggest you get a nice...
1) if you upgrade your graphics card, you should make it a big enough jump or you may be disappointed. IN this case, I think you should be looking at a GTX560/GTX560ti/perhaps even a GTX570.

2) You are ok on the psu.
Here is what EVGA recommends for their graphics cards:

GTX550ti needs 400w with 24a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

3) On the monitor, I suggest you get a nice 24" monitor and use it as your primary monitor. But, also keep the old one as a secondary.
You can keep e-mail and other stuff open on it while gaming.

Solution

I would always plan on a good single gpu so long as it will do the job.

As to amd/nvidia, you get good value from either, but you can drop in a nvidia replacement while you will need to uninstall/reinstall drivers if you switch.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished

Your 8800GTS is a decent card. If you have no problems with what you are running now, I would wait and see how you do with the new games.
From what I read, the new games are not that demanding. That makes sense, since game vendors want the largest possible market.

There is little downside in waiting, since graphics cards tend to deliver better performance per dollar over time.
The new cards will not be here until next year. The 28nm process will allow some combination of higher top end performance, lower power, lower heat, and lower cost. Expect them to be priced at what the market will bear, and at some premium to then current price performance norms.

Still, you might be able to score a very good card during the black friday sales.