Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Virtual box

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 19, 2013 1:54:45 PM

hi, i have a new tower and i wan to install virtual box on my system. i have split the 1TB hdd into 100 gb for the op, and 3 250 gb partions for other work. i have no problem extending the c drive to make it say 200 gb. my question is this i want to install 2000 xp vista and windows 7 onto my windows 8 tower. would anyone have any recommendations on doing this. i know running a vm on top of my windows 8 equals double the usage on everything and so on. what set up would be best to do this, i would be mainly using it for my exams, and practicing solving problems and recreating them and the like. for one will my computer handle this ok and as i said i know if i ran all operating systems the computer would come to a crawl if it started so i understand that side.
my pc specs are below any input greatly appreciated. :o 

More about : virtual box

January 19, 2013 2:19:18 PM

I don't get your question... You just install VirtualBox then create your VM... It's not like there is a ton a configuration in VirtualBox... The only suggestion I can give you is to create 1 virtual drive for each OS. So if something happen to one VM, it don't affect the others.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 2:57:37 PM

scaryeire36 said:
hi, i have a new tower and i wan to install virtual box on my system. i have split the 1TB hdd into 100 gb for the op, and 3 250 gb partions for other work. i have no problem extending the c drive to make it say 200 gb. my question is this i want to install 2000 xp vista and windows 7 onto my windows 8 tower. would anyone have any recommendations on doing this. i know running a vm on top of my windows 8 equals double the usage on everything and so on. what set up would be best to do this, i would be mainly using it for my exams, and practicing solving problems and recreating them and the like. for one will my computer handle this ok and as i said i know if i ran all operating systems the computer would come to a crawl if it started so i understand that side.
my pc specs are below any input greatly appreciated. :o 


Hyper-V is free and available on Windows 8 Pro and can be used if your processor is supported (requires SLAT capable processor). I use it to run Windows 7, XP, Ubuntu, Windows Server, etc. If you were one of the folks who received a "Pro" key as part of Microsoft's Media Center giveaway, that should also work to activate Hyper-V. Hyper-V virtualizes parts of the host operating system which will allow you to create VM's that maximize available system resources. It's the same version used on the Server version.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 6:05:40 PM

scaryeire36 said:
hi, i have a new tower and i wan to install virtual box on my system. i have split the 1TB hdd into 100 gb for the op, and 3 250 gb partions for other work. i have no problem extending the c drive to make it say 200 gb. my question is this i want to install 2000 xp vista and windows 7 onto my windows 8 tower. would anyone have any recommendations on doing this. i know running a vm on top of my windows 8 equals double the usage on everything and so on. what set up would be best to do this, i would be mainly using it for my exams, and practicing solving problems and recreating them and the like. for one will my computer handle this ok and as i said i know if i ran all operating systems the computer would come to a crawl if it started so i understand that side.
my pc specs are below any input greatly appreciated. :o 

w1zz4 I think U misunderstood im talking ram consultation CPU usage and the rest doubles when i open vm vista on my windows 8 machiene so say i open XP, and vista inn my local indows 8 operating system that's using triple normal usuage im running 3 operating systems on one machine VM or not running all 3 wil b a major drain on my machine. My question was considering all this what amount of ram and what size would you have as the had fir installing these vm,s and any files and programs iv added myself, you need at least 20 GB just for vista so that's where my had question comes from
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 6:06:25 PM

Ram consumption lol:) 
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 11:19:31 AM

w1zz4 said:
I don't get your question... You just install VirtualBox then create your VM... It's not like there is a ton a configuration in VirtualBox... The only suggestion I can give you is to create 1 virtual drive for each OS. So if something happen to one VM, it don't affect the others.



i understand how it works :pt1cable:  , my question was resource usage, the more operating systems u run the more cpu, ram everything is being used to run the vm's. that's where my question is coming from, would u start noticing ur PC slowing down the more vms u run, so would i need a bigger hdd partion to hold all the vm work seperate and how much ram would b recommended for running 4 vms. the answer is defiantly not nothing running vms does use your pc resources and if u don't have say enough ram ur machine will come to a crawl :sleep: 
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 11:38:41 AM

nishihara said:
Hyper-V is free and available on Windows 8 Pro and can be used if your processor is supported (requires SLAT capable processor). I use it to run Windows 7, XP, Ubuntu, Windows Server, etc. If you were one of the folks who received a "Pro" key as part of Microsoft's Media Center giveaway, that should also work to activate Hyper-V. Hyper-V virtualizes parts of the host operating system which will allow you to create VM's that maximize available system resources. It's the same version used on the Server version.


thanks for that u answered most of my question i have a pretty new machine specs below its an i3 and defo capable of second level addressing. all i gen processors are as far as i know.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 11:54:42 AM

http://www.softwaretipspalace.com/how-to/260-check-slat...
download n copy to the root of the c drive, open cmd with admin rights, change to c: and type coreinfo -v press enter and the important info pops up. handy
should b something like this

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>cd c:\

c:\>coreinfo -v

Coreinfo v3.2 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT * Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

c:\>

the * means it supports slat on an amd instead of EPT it will have NP same difference for this.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:12:22 PM

nishihara said:
Hyper-V is free and available on Windows 8 Pro and can be used if your processor is supported (requires SLAT capable processor). I use it to run Windows 7, XP, Ubuntu, Windows Server, etc. If you were one of the folks who received a "Pro" key as part of Microsoft's Media Center giveaway, that should also work to activate Hyper-V. Hyper-V virtualizes parts of the host operating system which will allow you to create VM's that maximize available system resources. It's the same version used on the Server version.



do u have all them op on the one hdd or spread across a couple of partitions?
m
0
l
!