P2T, PTT, Push-to-talk

Hi there, Push-to-Talk users,

Since P2T is not very well known yet in Europe (still in it's preliminary
phase), maybe some of you could help me out with some of the questions I
have concerning this subject :
-What are the main advantages of P2T compared to SMS, e.g. or, the other way
around, the main disadvantages ?
-Does anyone know about any P2T pilot-projects in Europe that might be
interesting to know about?
-Does any of you have any experience in a professional environment
(dispatching, service departments, logistics...) , and if so, can anyone
tell me why I should consider introducing this rather new medium in my
company?
-Does anyone know any figures about the cost/head related to P2T, when used
in a professional environment?
-Who are the main players, next to Nextel and eStara in the world, and maybe
more in particular, in Europe?

If you have any interesting facts related to any of my questions (and in
particular the American and Australian users), please post your reply's
here, or send an e-mail.

Best regards,

Danny
4 answers Last reply
More about push talk

    Barfly wrote:
    > Hi there, Push-to-Talk users,
    >
    > Since P2T is not very well known yet in Europe (still in it's
    > preliminary phase), maybe some of you could help me out with some of
    > the questions I have concerning this subject :
    > -What are the main advantages of P2T compared to SMS, e.g. or, the
    > other way around, the main disadvantages ?
    > -Does anyone know about any P2T pilot-projects in Europe that might be
    > interesting to know about?
    > -Does any of you have any experience in a professional environment
    > (dispatching, service departments, logistics...) , and if so, can
    > anyone tell me why I should consider introducing this rather new
    > medium in my company?
    > -Does anyone know any figures about the cost/head related to P2T,
    > when used in a professional environment?
    > -Who are the main players, next to Nextel and eStara in the world,
    > and maybe more in particular, in Europe?
    >
    > If you have any interesting facts related to any of my questions (and
    > in particular the American and Australian users), please post your
    > reply's here, or send an e-mail.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Danny

    SMS is nice if its loud and you cant hear the phone, or if its not something
    you wish to share with everyone around you. the PTT is nice for short
    messages as well, but can also be used for more wordy responces. PTT also
    works a lot better then SMS when you are driving since you dont have to look
    at the keys, type, and drive.
    Another nice feature of PTT over a phone is that the person cant hear you
    until you key up, so you can listen to them, cuss, swear, intult and laugh
    at them, then calmly reply.
    PTT is also good for really short stuff that does not require a phone call
    like "Hey, where are you? Im over by door 15"
    I have also heard that Nextel supports "talk groups" where you can PTT to a
    group of people at the same time. I have yet to use this feature with mine,
    but I should try it out, just so I know how it works.
    I was issued a Nextel for work. I always though the PTT was a useless gimic,
    but now, I have gotten used to it, and find it rather helpful.

    Does anyone on here have any experience with the Verizon PTT? I read that
    there is a horrible delay when you key up. Will this be an issue with the
    GSM PTT?

    Trey wrote:

    > SMS is nice if its loud and you cant hear the phone, or if its not something
    > you wish to share with everyone around you. the PTT is nice for short
    > messages as well, but can also be used for more wordy responces.

    As if anybody else wanted you to share anything or not.

    > PTT also
    > works a lot better then SMS when you are driving since you dont have to look
    > at the keys, type, and drive.

    Please tell me that nobody is stupid enough to actually try SMS while
    driving. On second thought, never mind - the gene pool could use a
    little more chlorine.

    > Another nice feature of PTT over a phone is that the person cant hear you
    > until you key up, so you can listen to them, cuss, swear, intult and laugh
    > at them, then calmly reply.

    Whadja think "mute" was for?

    > PTT is also good for really short stuff that does not require a phone call
    > like "Hey, where are you? Im over by door 15"

    If the responce is "I'm in the toilet" then there's one phone you don't
    ever want to borrow.

    > I have also heard that Nextel supports "talk groups" where you can PTT to a
    > group of people at the same time. I have yet to use this feature with mine,
    > but I should try it out, just so I know how it works.
    > I was issued a Nextel for work. I always though the PTT was a useless gimic,
    > but now, I have gotten used to it, and find it rather helpful.
    >
    > Does anyone on here have any experience with the Verizon PTT? I read that
    > there is a horrible delay when you key up. Will this be an issue with the
    > GSM PTT?

    Likely

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

    sms while driving works great lol. only if its a short msg offcourse pmpl

    k.o. wrote:
    > sms while driving works great lol. only if its a short msg offcourse
    > pmpl

    In heavy traffic, and you are stopped a lot It doesnt really matter since
    your not moving, or stopped at a red light. Doing 85 in rush hour traffic
    and TXTing is just bad.

    > "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> schreef in bericht
    >> Trey wrote:
    >>
    >>> SMS is nice if its loud and you cant hear the phone, or if its not
    >>> something you wish to share with everyone around you. the PTT is
    >>> nice for short messages as well, but can also be used for more
    >>> wordy responces.
    >>
    >> As if anybody else wanted you to share anything or not.
    >>

    >>> PTT also
    >>> works a lot better then SMS when you are driving since you dont
    >>> have to look at the keys, type, and drive.
    >>
    >> Please tell me that nobody is stupid enough to actually try SMS while
    >> driving. On second thought, never mind - the gene pool could use a
    >> little more chlorine.
    >>
    >>> Another nice feature of PTT over a phone is that the person cant
    >>> hear you until you key up, so you can listen to them, cuss, swear,
    >>> intult and laugh at them, then calmly reply.
    >>
    >> Whadja think "mute" was for?
    >>
    >>> PTT is also good for really short stuff that does not require a
    >>> phone call like "Hey, where are you? Im over by door 15"
    >>
    >> If the responce is "I'm in the toilet" then there's one phone you
    >> don't ever want to borrow.
    >>
    >>> I have also heard that Nextel supports "talk groups" where you can
    >>> PTT to a group of people at the same time. I have yet to use this
    >>> feature with mine, but I should try it out, just so I know how it
    >>> works.
    >>> I was issued a Nextel for work. I always though the PTT was a
    >>> useless gimic, but now, I have gotten used to it, and find it
    >>> rather helpful.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone on here have any experience with the Verizon PTT? I
    >>> read that there is a horrible delay when you key up. Will this be
    >>> an issue with the GSM PTT?
    >>
    >> Likely
    >>

    >> --
    >> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    >> "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
    >> what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

GSM