Possible graphics overheat

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Ok so I was playing a game of warcraft 3 a mod called DotA, not a very stressful game at all, anyway I was in the middle of the game when my screen locked up and I couldn't do anything but shut my computer off manually with the button. I wait a few seconds and start it back up but my screen goes black but the fans and such are running. I try this about another 3-4 times and still just the black screen. I give my computer a good 3-5 minutes to cool down and try again and presto I get video again. So what could be the possible issue that we're dealing with here?

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Ok sorry I haven't responded, what am I supposed to be looking for? What are some red flags that are going to stand out? Should I be running this cpuid program while my game is open and recording those temps?

My specs go as this

CPU Phenom X6 1100T
GPU 560ti (ATM: had to RMA a 580 I just got was doa :(*)
RAM 12GB
PSU 1000w
OS Win7 64bit

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything?

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Ok this was after one like 20 minute game then after like 3 more right when I was about to quit for the night my screen and graphics got all messed up. It was like black things coming out of everywhere taking up my entire screen. I wish i would've taken a picture of it but I did not manage. Hopefully I described it well enough that someone might know where I'm coming from.

Screenshot of temps: http://i39.tinypic.com/dh2y1.png

1- Your CPU Voltages is too high, maximum safe voltages for the Phenom II X6 is 1.5V (when you hit 4.0 GHz)
2- Your CPU temps are too high, 67 for the Cores and 76 for the CPU, maybe this is due to the high voltages. IF you're not overclocking set the voltages manually to 1.35V in the BIOS.
3- Your GPU temp sounds a bit high, and i notice you don't have a lot of fans to ventilation. Add more fans this will provide superior air flow.

When the CPU is overheated, it throttles the performance and can cause everything to freeze, and that was your complaint from the first post, you shut down the PC to cool down then open it.

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

You say my voltage is high, how do I fix this? And as for my cpu temps being high I ordered a new heat sink and some thermal material for the cpu hopefully this reduces the heat.

I'm not the smartest when it comes to voltages and such so walk me through this..

Go to your BIOS and then search for Motherboard intelligent tweaker or CPU advanced features, whatever you do have.
Look for system voltages, and choose "Manually" then set the VCore to 1.37 or 1.4V and check that the option "AMD Cool n Quite" is enabled.

Save settings to BIOS then Quit. Post a pic of HWMonitor again + CPU-Z. And test your system stability (run games and do heave work on your PC)

TRENDING THREADS