Sign in with
Your question

Help with upgrade/replace???

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2012 9:04:36 PM

I was looking at seeing if my son's computer can be upgraded to improve gaming somewhat. I assume a new motherboard, cpu, graphics card, memory are needed. suggestions on those would be great. Also, can I reuse the other parts (power supply, cd/dvd, hard drives, etc.?)

Here's what he has:
CPU:
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

Board: DFI Corp,LTD LP NF3 250GB 1.0
Bus Clock: 202 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00

Graphics:
ATI Raedon 9250

Memory:
2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

HDD:
WDC WD3200AAJS-00L7A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAV2W762020, rev 01.03E01, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD800JD-23JNA1 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAM95368914, rev 06.01C06, SMART Status: Healthy

DVD :
Samsung

Thanks for your help!

More about : upgrade replace

January 3, 2012 10:14:56 PM

Yeah, it is time to get a new PC. How much are you willing to spend? The drives are reusable as long as they are SATA, I would not reuse the PSU if the current system is OEM.
m
l
January 3, 2012 10:15:31 PM

I'm guessing not. If you wanted to upgrade, what parts you get would be determined by what your case is - if you have a case that's proprietary (Dell, HP, etc) then you could always go the micro-ATX route, but if it supports a full size ATX board then it could. That's where you need to start with, and then we can go from there.

You'd also have to start with replacing the PSU as well in order to support the new hardware you'll be buying.
m
l
May 9, 2013 6:07:41 PM

looks like im a little late to the party with my answer as you probably have upgraded by now, but i dont necessarily agree with the first poster, have a little experience with this and those drives are still useable ata(aka ide) or sata, there are boards out right now that still have an ide port on them, not to mention there are ata to sata converters that just plug in the back of the drive and then you plug a sata cable into them(data that is not power) and a molex connector so you need to make sure your next power supply has a couple of molex connectors on them, i.e. non sata connectors, not pci-e connectors, and an ata to sata connector is a cheaper alternative than buying a new dvd rom, saying for a moment that the dvd rom is ide(aka ata), samsung is good and i wouldnt bother replacing it, besides if your dollar conscious and dont have a lot of money to spend like most other builders every few bucks you save is always a few bucks you can put towards something else in your system that you need, definitely replace most of it but you can reuse the hard drives and the dvd drive and its been said on here probably dozens of times, get yourself a quality power supply, no $20 cheapies, they just dont cut the mustard, on the other hand you dont necessarily have to spend 100+ on one either, depends on what your planning processor wise, graphics wise, etc.
m
l
!