Xbox 360: Final Fantasy 11 team working on new next-gen MM..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 9, 2005 12:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,japan.videogames.playstation,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/08/news_6127156.ht...
Final Fantasy XI team working on new next-gen MMORPG

Hiromichi Tanaka tells Famitsu that he's in the initial stages of developing
an unnamed next-generation project, talks Xbox 360 FFXI details.
In an interview published in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine, Final
Fantasy XI producer Hiromichi Tanaka disclosed that his development team is
currently working on a new massively multiplayer role-playing game for
next-generation consoles.

Tanaka declined to comment on whether the MMORPG in development will be a
successor to FFXI or a new product. He did confirm that the technical
demonstration shown for the Xbox 360 during E3 was one of the experiments
his development team had created to see what kind of graphics a
next-generation console could achieve.

Tanaka also disclosed that the Xbox 360 edition of FFXI will sport graphics
of a quality similar to the currently available PC version of FFXI. However,
he added that the development team is seeing if the Xbox 360 can display
graphics for about twice the distance than the Windows version.

The game's beta test is slated to begin simultaneously with the launch of
the Xbox 360 later this year. Similarly to the Windows beta, the Xbox 360's
beta test will be conducted on servers separate from the rest of the FFXI
world. One of the main objectives for the Xbox 360 version's beta testing is
to see if there are any problems with the game's network environment, since
this will be the first time Xbox Live will be allowing a connection from an
external system.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 06/08/05 12:28 PM PST

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/623/623561p1.html

Final Fantasy XI Team Works on New Project
New title to be next generation massively multiplayer Online RPG.
by IGN Staff
June 8, 2005 - In an interview published in the latest issue of Famitsu,
Final Fantasy XI producer Hiromichi Tanaka makes mention of some of the
projects on which his staff is currently working, including new Final
Fantasy XI properties and a brand new next generation massively multiplayer
Online RPG.

Tanaka does not commit to the identity of the next generation title, stating
that it may be a successor to FFXI, or it may be a completely separate
property. He does admit that the mysterious demo clip shown at Microsoft's
Xbox 360 E3 press conference was an early look at the game, which is
currently in the "research" stage of development.
As for the title's platform, Tanaka is again a bit too shy to talk. He
doesn't specifically state that the game is coming to the Xbox 360. He does,
however, state that the PlayStation 3 will probably need a hard disk in
order to see Final Fantasy XI-style games, stating he was surprised to hear
that Sony is considering not including a hard disk with the system.

Regarding the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XI, Tanaka reveals that the
title will be close to the Windows version of the game in terms of quality,
which means it will be far superior to the PS2 version. The team is still
working on the title, but they're hoping to improve viewing distance many
times beyond that of PC version. Tanaka feels that once people have played
the game in high definition wide screen format, they won't be able to go
back.

As mentioned previously here at IGN Xbox, Square Enix will hold a beta test
for Final Fantasy XI at the Xbox 360's launch later this year (no word yet
on if this beta test will be Japan-only or if it will also take place in
America). The beta test will make use of a special server separate from the
other versions of the game. The purpose of the beta test, Tanaka reveals, is
to see how Xbox Live handles connecting to Play Online, which is something
that's being done for the first time with Microsoft's closed Online system.

There's more in store for Final Fantasy XI following the release of the Xbox
360 version. In addition to periodic updates for all versions of the game,
the FFXI team is currently working a full-fledged expansion pack that should
extend the life of the product.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:56:46 PM

xenon360 wrote:
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/08/news_6127156.ht...
> Final Fantasy XI team working on new next-gen MMORPG

if the new game is as tedious and boring as FFXI, I'm glad its only on
XBox360...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:28:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,japan.videogames.playstation,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Is it a MMORPG like FFXI or a single player?
If it's single player, I won't play any FF game until they at least
provide an option to remove those stupid random fights. (Last FF I
played was FF VII, and as good as the story was, I just couldn't get
myself to the stupid fight every 3 steps, turn around, fight, check the
place you just cleaned, another fight)
September 6, 2005 2:21:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,japan.videogames.playstation,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, <xenon360> posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2005
20:43:34 -0500:

> Tanaka also disclosed that the Xbox 360 edition of FFXI will sport graphics
> of a quality similar to the currently available PC version of FFXI. However,
> he added that the development team is seeing if the Xbox 360 can display
> graphics for about twice the distance than the Windows version.

That would be nice. It seems like my system could easily handle a more
distant clipping field, but maxed out, things still want to pop in all of a
sudden. I figure that's programming more than my system.

Damaeus
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,japan.videogames.playstation,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wolfing1@yahoo.com posted on 10 Jun 2005
06:28:00 -0700:

> Is it a MMORPG like FFXI or a single player?
> If it's single player, I won't play any FF game until they at least
> provide an option to remove those stupid random fights. (Last FF I
> played was FF VII, and as good as the story was, I just couldn't get
> myself to the stupid fight every 3 steps, turn around, fight, check the
> place you just cleaned, another fight)

FFXI is not random. You can see all the mobs and you can try to avoid
them. Some won't attack you, but some will attack you depending on whether
they see you, hear you, smell you, or detect your magic use.

I love FFXI, but I took a night off to watch a movie after playing FFXI in
every spare moment of time I had for eight straight months. Since then
I've had a hard time getting back into it, for some reason. But I still
think it's a great game. Yeah, it can be tedious, but I will say that
several people I played with went to World of Warcraft. A couple of months
later, they were back on FFXI because they felt like they'd done everything
they could do with WoW.

Damaeus
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Race: Elvaan / Gender: Male
WAR:21 THF:21 WHM:24 BLM:27 RDM:52 (Main)
RNG:12 MNK:05 NIN:10 BST:01 BRD:13
SMN:04 DRK:14 SAM:08 PLD:01 DRG:01
Alchemy Lv.84, Woodworking Lv.23, Smithing Lv.16
Fishing Lv.11, Leathercraft Lv.03, Goldsmithing Lv.08
Bonecraft Lv.02, Cooking Lv.01, Clothcraft Lv.08
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:10:35 PM

In article <lbrqh11r8qp0sdmqfoun1q6rdmdech2lmf@4ax.com>,
Windblade <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote:

> FFXI is not random. You can see all the mobs and you can try to avoid
> them. Some won't attack you, but some will attack you depending on whether
> they see you, hear you, smell you, or detect your magic use.
>
> I love FFXI, but I took a night off to watch a movie after playing FFXI in
> every spare moment of time I had for eight straight months. Since then
> I've had a hard time getting back into it, for some reason. But I still
> think it's a great game.

I love FFXI too, I'm a lvl 65 BLM and spent a zillion fun hours getting
there. Funny though, I also took a little time off to try something
different called Second Life, and am having a hard time getting back
into FFXI now. I think it's partly because the Linkshell I was in broke
up, and you can't solo anything at high (or even medium) levels. Also it
is suffering from rampant inflation and monopolizing of the monsters
that drop the best stuff due to the darn professional gil (money)
sellers.

One thing though. FFXI is the least colorful FF game of all. Everything
is kind of dullish color wise. I guess it has to do with the demands of
a real-time online system, but check out the single player games. Even
castles, deserts, and mudflats are much more vivid.
!