Sign in with
Your question

Antec 650W bad -12v rail?

Last response: in Components
April 14, 2012 7:21:59 AM

So I have been having problems with random blue screens, stuttering in game etc. It got worse when I upgraded from a 4670 to a 6870 so my first thought was PSU as the lower my power consumption, it appeared the better my performance. So I go off and buy an Antec 650w Green PSU. Anyways, the problem still persisted so I decided it wasnt the PSU. However, after now reading my voltage in HWMonitor I am thinking maybe I have the worst luck with PSU's possible (been through 3) or something is causing my PSUs to not function properly that I can't understand for the life of me.

So anyways here is what I found.

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 0.99 Volts [0x3E] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 2 3.31 Volts [0xCF] (+3.3V)
Voltage 4 12.67 Volts [0xC6] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -6.21 Volts [0x61] (-12V)
Voltage 7 5.99 Volts [0xDF] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.31 Volts [0xCF] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN1)
Fan 0 3426 RPM [0xC5] (FANIN0)
Fan PWM 0 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

Notice voltage 5. My -12V rail is running at -6.21? Is this a sign of a bad PSU? If so why in Gods name would I be this unlucky with such high quality brands and could a faulty MB be messing with the PSU somehow?
April 14, 2012 10:53:48 AM

Hi!

Two things:

- Do not rely on what ever a hardware monitor tells you especially about hardly ever used voltages. I daresay an erratic reading for -12V and even more -5V is quite common. This may be down to the fact that the hardware monitoring chips on the motherboards are not even connected/programmed to properly read these more or less obsolete voltages.

- Even *if* your negative 12V rail should be faulty, it is very unlikely that this should have an influence on general system and graphics operations. The -12V is actually some remaining relict from the old days. It's needed for RS232 communications (remember the good old 9pin serial port?), and basically nothing else. So if you don't use your old style COM ports, just forget about the -12V.

Considering the symptoms you are telling, I'd rather think to run a disk check and be prepared to replace the hard disk. Also make sure it is not heavily fragmented, since this *might* cause in-game stuttering. I'm anyway still much more on the rail for a defective hard disk even causing blue screens due to corrupted data. Last but not least make sure yor RAM is ok, and not partially failing from time to time. And - check the data cable to the hard disk for defects or lose connections...

If you have the same symptoms wth all PSUs you have tried, I'd actually exclude the PSU from being the possible culprit.
Hope this helps...
m
l
!