That is Turbo at work for you. The stock frequency is 3.3Ghz and the Turbo freq is 3.7Ghz.

mcnumpty23's right. Your temps look good. No game will ever work them as hard as prime95 is doing there.

Unless your ambient temps (your room temps) are unusually high you should have no problems keeping the temps under control.

fanboy555

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I think something is definitely wrong. Just running skype, firefox and origin, (about 15% load) temps are around 28-32C, while hitting max at 43C.

That looks pretty decent to me. :)

I have not been out of 40's under load. I had to edit this as I didn't see your cooler at the time. I haven't heard of that one. You may want to recheck your Thermal Compound for starters and make sure you haven't applied too much. Too much acts as an insulator and will cause over heating.

Ok, I just checked out that cooler. My suggestion is to ditch it and get one that has a fan. That on doesn't and can't be all that effective. Something like a Cooler Master 212+ ot gelid Tranquillo as I think both will work with the Nelhalem CPU.

Also a good choice. I checked out the Cooler and that thing is Heat sink only and no fan. Not very good for keeping that thing cool and I suspect he is running an i7 9xx CPU.

That cooler is a 92mm fan based cooler. It should have a fan on it. I have seen stock get that hot and hotter.

One thing I notice is that your turbo is locking in full bore even with all 4 cores loaded, this is the motherboard doing that. So it will get a bit hotter in general, you would only get 3.7 with 1 core and the speed lowers as all cores are loaded.

Now it is important to know not everyone reads the temperatures the same way. Many users reply on the motherboard software(a sensor in the cpu socket area, may users with 15c idles and such post this temperature). This in many cases gives a lower temperature then lets say CoreTemp(a sensor built into the cpu, one that is also less accurate at low temperatures as it is made to trigger the thermal protection more then anything).

My media center shows about 7-10c higher with coretemp/hwmon then the motherboard software. I have even seen the motherboard software show 17c in a 20c room.

YES 72 is a bit hot(i would not think cpu damage hot yet), but may programs will NOT work the system that hard. Intels temperatures are listed as the top center of the heat spreader(so a good 10c cooler then what a core temp would show up as).

I would guess you used a 92mm fan based heatsink because of space limits? If not, the posters who recommend a CoolerMaster 212+ or EVO are quite right, that heatsink packs some real performance under $30 in most cases.

Why do you keep saying NO FAN?

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001807

Pre-installed one 92mm high performance fan
PWM function with fan speed from 1000~2400RPM.
Enclosed two clips for 2nd fan installation to increase cooling performance.

When I checked that cooler at Newegg, there was no fan shown with that thing. I only get about a 5c degree difference between the MOBO readings and HW Monitor and just post the temps from HWM when I do post them.

Sorry. THis thread has gotten screwed up. I was replying to the initial poster originally then to Bassejepson who apparently is piggybacking in this thread. This is the cooler he is using : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001

With that cooler, almost any fan would make it work very well.

I almost wonder what kind of other fans are in fanboy555's case and even what case it is. This may be an issue of lack of airflow to remove the heat.

With the board also not using standard turbo, I wonder if that makes it worse.

On my media center PC(offset undervolted as far as a I5 750 will go), Turbo pushes the voltage up a fair bit(1.04v prime for all threads and 1.18v with only 1 core active on prime95). I could see all 4 cores running at higher voltage being an issue with heat.

Good point as air flow could be an issue. I've got three 120's in here for exhaust and a 200mm for intake. Although the 92mm on the cooler should be fine, under load, it may be a problem and probably should have used something with a 120mm. I know in a lot of cases, those 120's can choke off one of the DIMM slots and that may have been a factor. I started with a Zalman CNPS x10 Performa and it blocked my first DIMM slot with the fan. Guess I culd have configured it to pull rather than push, but got the Gelid Tranquillo, which I set to pull anyway, although it barely clears the first DIMM slot in push config. I'm not sure of the standard vs non standard turbo as I haven't seen much on it. The other thing could be a misapplication of the TMC, but that would probably show up in the idle temps as well.

fanboy555

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
The cooler has a 92mm fan. I have one 120mm intake fan in the front and one 120mm exhaust fan in the back. Room temps are around 20C.