AFFECT OF number of SATA CABLES in choice of mobo and psu

does SATA CABLE quantity affect choice of mobo and psu ?
105 answers Last reply
More about affect number sata cables choice mobo
  1. not really. you do want a minimum amount (normally 4 or more)of em but other than that there are other better reasons to select a motherboard. things like socket/cpu support memory compatibility and motherboard build quality.
    selecting a psu depends on what gfx card or cards i would be using and what upgrade path i may use...
  2. It doesn't have to affect the choice. Beyond what HEXiT mentioned you can always get splitter or adapter cables if you ever need to add more SATA power leads for your system.
    Examples:
    6" SATA Power Y Splitter Cable
    12" Molex LP4 to 2 SATA Internal Power adapter cable
  3. so sata cables dont matter in the selection of mobo?
  4. No, not really
    Moto
  5. whats their use ?
  6. what if they come less with the mobo ?
  7. You need 2 minimum.
    1 for optical drive (DVD burner) and 1 for hard disk drive.

How many SATA devices will you need?

You can also add PCI-cards with extra SATA ports if you run out of them on the motherboard.
  8. what other things require sata cables ?
  9. Here is an add-on PCI-e x1 card that adds extra SATA III (6.0Gb/s) ports in case the mother board runs out. (or didnt have SATA III in the first place.
    Koutech PCI-Express 2.0 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Dual Channel Card
  10. Hard disk drives (HDD), solid state drives (SSD) and optical drives (DVD or Blu-Ray)
  11. okay... i will hve a gfx card processor psu ram... n maybe a cooling fan.. any of these require a sata ?
  12. Nope. GFX card uses PCI-e 6 or 8 pin power leads. CPU uses 4 or 8 pin AUX power connector and RAM gets power from motherboard.
  13. Fans are either plugged into the motherboard or a 4pin molex connector on the PSU.
  14. 6 SATA ports on motherboard. 5 SATA power cables on PSU - but that's not a problem.

You only have 1 stick of RAM - 2x 2GB kit is a better performance option.
    That FX4100 is considered 'weak' for a gaming CPU.

This is a gaming build, right?
  15. yes it is a gaming build.... bt its fine for me....
  16. What case / casing are you using?
  17. Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2 Rs Rs. 2536 should be enough power for your system with FX-4100 and MSI HD 6770 graphics card.
  18. WR2 said:

i dont want intel... my processor is fixed.. what about the fan i listed ? i will overclock the processor... so do i need the fan ?
  19. WR2 said:
    What case / casing are you using?

its a micro atx case... its without any cooling..i dont know its name
  20. WR2 said:
    Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2 Rs Rs. 2536 should be enough power for your system with FX-4100 and MSI HD 6770 graphics card.

can ya tell me the calculation for the power supply needed ? how do u know 430w would be enough ?
  21. Not much difference, except in price.
    Both are AM3+ and 760G (780L) Chipset.
    LE model has 4 external USB ports.. LX has 3 ports.
  22. You have to check the case to know if you can use the fan.
    I can't tell you about that if I don't know the case.
  23. WR2 said:
    Not much difference, except in price.
    Both are AM3+ and 760G (780L) Chipset.
    LE model has 3 external USB ports.. LX has 4 ports.

which is better ?

24. That's with the CPU overclocked to 4.5Ghz, 2 extra hard drives and a SSD, 2 case fans and 4 USB devices added.
  25. TBH those motherboards look the same to me.
  26. WR2 said:
    You have to check the case to know if you can use the fan.
    I can't tell you about that if I don't know the case.

can u help if i give u a picture of it ?
  27. Can you measure the size and number of fan mounting positions?
    I can use that... plus picture (s) would help. 2 fans would be nice - 1 is determinately required.
  28. Usually.... you have 1 front fan down low for cool intake and a 2nd rear fan up high for warm exhaust.
  29. can u give me guidelines regarding all that ? i dont know how to do that..

30. just measure the size of the fan openings in mm and make a note of where the fan is located.
    Left picture: top rear Right picture: you can see the space for a front low fan mounting,
  31. which fan ?
  32. The place where you mount a fan - the fan grille - the size of the whole the fan fits in.
  33. Ahhhhh....it's not the fan where the PSU is located.
  34. i dont have the psu inside of the cpu... i detached it as it stopped working...
  35. lol chill.....
  36. ok i got it...!!! sorry
  37. its 91x92 mm... its approx that
  38. Ok....... that's the 92mm sized fans. Not bad. Definitely better than 80mm fans.

Where are the fan mounts located?
  39. The Cooler Master fan you had linked earlier was a 120mm fan and would not have fit.

And for what ever reason - Flipkart doesn't list any 92mm fans.
    It's a common size and should be easy to find some.
  40. okay.. cool... but do i need the fan ?
  41. with a hot CPU and hot grahics card? Yes.
    You might need two.
  42. okay... got it...
  43. i cant afford it.... is there any other way to cool my processor ?
  44. You can't afford one fan?
  45. You have to keep your motherboard, RAM, graphics card, hard drive AND CPU reasonably cool.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SATA Cable Components Product