Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2011 12:16:54 PM

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my aging 8800GT to a GTX 560Ti. My motherboard is an Asus P5K, my CPU is a Q6600 and I have a 750 watt power supply. Will an upgrade to this graphics card be a problem or will I require any adjustment/replacement to my motherboard?

I'm buying the card in preparation for losing my social life when Skyrim comes out :)  Any recommendations or opinions on my current setup and its ability and suitability to run this game would be really welcome!

Thank you all ladies and gentlemen!

More about : gtx 560ti question

November 5, 2011 12:39:05 PM

You shouldnt have any problems. Yopu might want to consider overclocking your q6600. Do you have an after market cpu cooler? That will also give you a boost in frames with your new 560ti. What resolution do you play at? I havent heard waht the specs are from Skyrim yet....
November 6, 2011 7:30:13 AM

chiptouz said:
You shouldnt have any problems. Yopu might want to consider overclocking your q6600. Do you have an after market cpu cooler? That will also give you a boost in frames with your new 560ti. What resolution do you play at? I havent heard waht the specs are from Skyrim yet....

Thanks alot for the reply - You're right about the Q6600 overclock - I haven't done it and it's crying out to be overclocked. I'll see if it runs with Skyrim and will consider getting an aftermarket cooler if I decide to OC. Skyrim specs can be found here and they're actually surprisingly low. It's no BF3!

http://www.skyrimportal.com/skyrim-system-requirements

It sounds like the 560 Ti is the way to go - Will it be the case that I remove my 8800GT (lovingly of course - it's done me proud) and slot the 560 Ti in and we're done? I'm just worried I'll purchase it and there will be something I've not considered. The only two things I think I need to worry about are my PSU (mines 750W so should be fine) and the space in my case. Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Finally, this is the model I am thinking of going with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-G...

Would this be a good value card or would it be worth spending a bit more/less on something else?

Thanks in advance!
Related resources
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 7:48:50 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
November 6, 2011 8:47:11 AM

Mandelbrot1987 said:
Thanks alot for the reply - You're right about the Q6600 overclock - I haven't done it and it's crying out to be overclocked. I'll see if it runs with Skyrim and will consider getting an aftermarket cooler if I decide to OC. Skyrim specs can be found here and they're actually surprisingly low. It's no BF3!

http://www.skyrimportal.com/skyrim-system-requirements

It sounds like the 560 Ti is the way to go - Will it be the case that I remove my 8800GT (lovingly of course - it's done me proud) and slot the 560 Ti in and we're done? I'm just worried I'll purchase it and there will be something I've not considered. The only two things I think I need to worry about are my PSU (mines 750W so should be fine) and the space in my case. Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Finally, this is the model I am thinking of going with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-G...

Would this be a good value card or would it be worth spending a bit more/less on something else?

Thanks in advance!

Me personly I would SLI the 560ti and save you some money and you won't need to OC that beast your single 560ti will max that game easily
November 6, 2011 11:04:29 AM

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I actually just purchased a 560Ti last night to replace my aging HD 48701gb for skyrim, BF3, and most all new games at 1920x1200. I'm also on a Q6600. I haven't opened and installed the 560Ti yet because I want to make sure it was a good buy or should I spend the extra money and go for a 6950/70 or GTX 570? If any of those cards are a better choice I'm willing to spend the extra money. Any advice would be really helpful for the OP and myself. Thanks!
November 6, 2011 1:32:51 PM

@arkrival, thanks for the reply. I've not got the cash for two of them at the moment but it is definitely something I'll consider in the future. Hopefully, one GPU will be enough for Skyrim on Ultra settings at a reasonable resolution.

@anherox, as far as I've seen from looking at other sites and peoples recommendations, the 560 Ti seems to be the 8800GT of it's generation guaranteeing some decent life for a really good price. I personally think you'll be fine with that GPU, but understand your caution. I'm just worried about the space on my motherboard and hope it will be an easy exchange from my 8800GT to the 560 Ti.
November 6, 2011 1:33:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey

Thanks for the move - my apologies, I didn't see this area.
November 6, 2011 3:10:38 PM

I had a single GTX 460 in a system with Q6600 and found it bottlenecked the card, i could still achieve very playable fps and high settings, 1920x1080 in BFBC2

when I moved the GTX 460 to my new system, specs found in sig, I noticed the OC'd GTX 460 really began to stretch it legs (I have only added the 2nd card very recently)

if you are to buy GTX 460, 560 or 560Ti (or higher) I'd strongly recommend looking into an OC on the Q6600, from what I read you can get it up towards 3.0GHz but may need after-market cooler if you don't have already

chaz

edit: strange, my sig is not showing
November 6, 2011 3:20:37 PM

@chaz cheers for the reply mate. That's something I'm almost definitely going to do now - people keep recommending an OC of my CPU and to get it to 3.0 will prolong it's usability. And I'll grab myself an after market CPU cooler as you said.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. Do you think it will be an easy swap from the 8800GT to the 560 Ti on my P5K? i.e. no nasty surprises and a straight plug and play (and driver update :) )?

I'm itching to buy the card in the links above - just trying to triple check I'm not making the right decision. :) 
a c 94 Î Nvidia
a c 242 V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 3:24:23 PM

anherox said:
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I actually just purchased a 560Ti last night to replace my aging HD 48701gb for skyrim, BF3, and most all new games at 1920x1200. I'm also on a Q6600. I haven't opened and installed the 560Ti yet because I want to make sure it was a good buy or should I spend the extra money and go for a 6950/70 or GTX 570? If any of those cards are a better choice I'm willing to spend the extra money. Any advice would be really helpful for the OP and myself. Thanks!

You decide :) 

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

$ 240.00 6950 Frozr OC (484/759) $ 0.50 - $ 0.63
$ 320.00 6970 (526/825) $ 0.61 - $ 0.78
$ 215.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $ 0.43 - $ 0.50
$ 340.00 570 (524/873) $ 0.65 - $ 0.78

November 6, 2011 3:29:23 PM

It will be an easy swap, and a 560 Ti will be a nice upgrade from a 8800GT. Your 750w power supply is more than enough, even if you go crazy with the overclocking. Your mobo is PCIe 1.0 16x, but that won't be a problem for your new card.
November 6, 2011 3:48:57 PM

gmcizzle said:
It will be an easy swap, and a 560 Ti will be a nice upgrade from a 8800GT. Your 750w power supply is more than enough, even if you go crazy with the overclocking. Your mobo is PCIe 1.0 16x, but that won't be a problem for your new card.

That sounds great - thank you very much for the reassurance. I will go ahead and grab myself a GTX 560 Ti.

I was unaware about the PCIe 1.0 16x status of my mobo (in other words, I didn't have a clue! :) ) I read the following article (http://www.directron.com/expressguide.html) and I think it's relating to what you're saying. So, in the future, I may need a mobo upgrade because it may bottleneck my CPU?

Once again, thank you very much for your reply.
November 6, 2011 4:27:25 PM

The mobo may bottleneck the GPU in the future but not the CPU. PCIe 1.0 16x = PCIe 2.0 8x basically. Even with the highest end cards today it is only a few percentage difference in performance vs. PCIe 2.0 16x. But for your next upgrade you definitely want a whole new setup, not only because of your PCIe 1.0 limitations, but also because you're running older DDR2 RAM.
November 6, 2011 7:19:34 PM

bah, ddr2 vs ddr3 is another one of those 2-3% increase things. There is a new thread on here every 5 mins of someone looking for the right 560 ti card.

nobody seems to know a new version of the card is about to come out in the next few weeks. My advice would be to wait for that since your 8800 will run skyrim.

If you cant wait get the MSI twin frozr iii hawk. Its on sale right now on newegg and its pretty awesome.
!