<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll File is missing or corrupt

Ctiggis

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I keep getting this error message whenever my computer tries to boot:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll this file is corrupt or missing, please reload. I actually have a new copy of Windows xp that I can load to fix the whole issue but I don't even know how I can do that since this error message pops up before I can get to Windows. I can get the safe mode menu to appear during booting but even when I try to load in safe mode I get the above error message. What can I do to either fix the problem or reload windows entirely to just start fresh. I'm fine with losing any files on the computer. Thank you.

Firstly let me ask what possible could have been done to affect your system in this way. I see this occur when bios losses its settings or trying to change from ide to ahci drive access. In some cases you may only need to change bios boot options. If before this occurred you unplugged your PCs power cable you may have a motherboard battery issue. IE once power is removed your bios losses settings.

You should see a screen when the system first starts. It will have things like f2, f10, and or del. One of these keys or possible another will take you to a boot screen. This boot screen will allow you to boot from your hd, dvd, ect. If your xp is in the drive tray pick that dvd drive and away you go to installing. If your mother board's battery is at fault this will occur again. Just a warning as something caused this in the first place.