SMS Pager

Last response: in Technologies
July 11, 2004 2:05:17 AM

Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

More about : sms pager

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 11:10:44 PM

J. R. wrote:
> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.

The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
could be crucial in some cases.

The concept still has merit though.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
July 11, 2004 11:10:45 PM

VK3XEM wrote:

> J. R. wrote:
>
>> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without
>> the
>> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
>

> I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
> two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
>
> The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
> dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
> to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
> Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
> could be crucial in some cases.
>
> The concept still has merit though.
>

> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

VK3XEM <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message news:<40f10420$0$27241$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>...
> J. R. wrote:
> > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
> > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
>
> I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
> two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
>
> The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
> dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
> to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
> Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
> could be crucial in some cases.
>
> The concept still has merit though.
>

> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

I don't think it would take very long for the messages to be
dispatched... when I send them using myphone, they are usually
received by the other party within 30 seconds (usually less). I have
only used the group send feature once, but it was just as fast.

Thanks for your input!
-Jake
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 11:10:46 PM

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<ccrf51$7ja@library2.airnews.net>...
> VK3XEM wrote:
>
> > J. R. wrote:
> >
> >> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without
> >> the
> >> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
> >

> > I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
> > two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
> >
> > The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
> > dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
> > to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
> > Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
> > could be crucial in some cases.
> >
> > The concept still has merit though.
> >

> > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
>

> I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
> texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.

I have seen Blackberry's products.. Currently, all of the GSM/GPRS
versions support voice. Are you saying that there are talks of an SMS
only device?
Thanks,
Jake
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 2:12:12 AM

> "J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com>
> wrote in message news:ad0a430e.0407102105.25fee71a@posting.google.com...
> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

Yeah. carried a PageWriter 2000X
upgraded to P935 specs for a year..
Two-way messaging.

Messages rec'd with in 60 sec.

--
Andrew D. Sisson
Anonymous

Motorola V100 and V101 was basically a SMS Pager, with WAP Browser and
Voice. Check it out. They are still available on Ebay cheap, becuase it
wasnt a hit. Should be able to get one for $50-$75 depending on carrier, new
or used etc. Why carry anything, if you cant talk when you need to. Its a
niche market, and just doesnt justify the R and D and the cost.
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v100.html

Dont let the green scare you. It comes in a lovely Blue.

The next step is check out the next flop the Motorola Accompli 009
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
3&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

I still like that one, may pick one up for grinns.

"J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 9:04:55 PM

Skytel were doing this a while ago.....

Matt

"J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 10:10:03 PM

I have a blackberry with T-Mobile data only option with pay as you go phone
service. I use it as a sms pager with internet. Phone voicemail can be
configured as primay digital mager and message is sent imediately as sms.

"PDA Man" <pda@man.com> wrote in message
> Motorola V100 and V101 was basically a SMS Pager, with WAP Browser and
> Voice. Check it out. They are still available on Ebay cheap, becuase it
> wasnt a hit. Should be able to get one for $50-$75 depending on carrier,
new
> or used etc. Why carry anything, if you cant talk when you need to. Its a
> niche market, and just doesnt justify the R and D and the cost.
> http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v100.html
>
> Dont let the green scare you. It comes in a lovely Blue.
>
> The next step is check out the next flop the Motorola Accompli 009

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
> 3&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=
>
> I still like that one, may pick one up for grinns.
>

> "J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without
the
> > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

July 18, 2004 7:20:05 PM

J. R. wrote:

> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<ccrf51$7ja@library2.airnews.net>...
>
>>VK3XEM wrote:

>>>I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
>>>two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
>>>
>>>The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
>>>dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
>>>to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
>>>Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
>>>could be crucial in some cases.
>>>
>>>The concept still has merit though.
>>>

>>>73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
>>

>>I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
>>texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.
>

> I have seen Blackberry's products.. Currently, all of the GSM/GPRS
> versions support voice. Are you saying that there are talks of an SMS
> only device?
> Thanks,
> Jake

That's what I've heard, just rumours, nothing like any product
announcements.

--
!