SMS Pager

Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
9 answers Last reply
More about pager

    J. R. wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
    > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

    I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
    two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.

    The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
    dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
    to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
    Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
    could be crucial in some cases.

    The concept still has merit though.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

    VK3XEM wrote:

    > J. R. wrote:
    >
    >> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without
    >> the
    >> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
    >

    > I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
    > two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
    >
    > The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
    > dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
    > to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
    > Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
    > could be crucial in some cases.
    >
    > The concept still has merit though.
    >

    > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

    I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
    texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

    VK3XEM <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message news:<40f10420$0$27241$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>...
    > J. R. wrote:
    > > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
    > > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
    >
    > I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
    > two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
    >
    > The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
    > dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
    > to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
    > Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
    > could be crucial in some cases.
    >
    > The concept still has merit though.
    >

    > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

    I don't think it would take very long for the messages to be
    dispatched... when I send them using myphone, they are usually
    received by the other party within 30 seconds (usually less). I have
    only used the group send feature once, but it was just as fast.

    Thanks for your input!
    -Jake

    Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<ccrf51$7ja@library2.airnews.net>...
    > VK3XEM wrote:
    >
    > > J. R. wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without
    > >> the
    > >> voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?
    > >

    > > I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
    > > two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
    > >
    > > The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
    > > dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
    > > to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
    > > Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
    > > could be crucial in some cases.
    > >
    > > The concept still has merit though.
    > >

    > > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    >

    > I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
    > texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.

    I have seen Blackberry's products.. Currently, all of the GSM/GPRS
    versions support voice. Are you saying that there are talks of an SMS
    only device?
    Thanks,
    Jake

    > "J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com>
    > wrote in message news:ad0a430e.0407102105.25fee71a@posting.google.com...
    > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
    > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

    Yeah. carried a PageWriter 2000X
    upgraded to P935 specs for a year..
    Two-way messaging.

    Messages rec'd with in 60 sec.

    --
    Andrew D. Sisson

    Motorola V100 and V101 was basically a SMS Pager, with WAP Browser and
    Voice. Check it out. They are still available on Ebay cheap, becuase it
    wasnt a hit. Should be able to get one for $50-$75 depending on carrier, new
    or used etc. Why carry anything, if you cant talk when you need to. Its a
    niche market, and just doesnt justify the R and D and the cost.
    http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v100.html

    Dont let the green scare you. It comes in a lovely Blue.

    The next step is check out the next flop the Motorola Accompli 009
    http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=24174
    3&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

    I still like that one, may pick one up for grinns.

    "J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
    > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

    Skytel were doing this a while ago.....

    Matt

    "J. R." <jacobrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there such a thing as an SMS pager? Essentially a GSM Phone without the
    > voice compliment. Has anyone come across one?

    I have a blackberry with T-Mobile data only option with pay as you go phone
    service. I use it as a sms pager with internet. Phone voicemail can be
    configured as primay digital mager and message is sent imediately as sms.

    J. R. wrote:

    > Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<ccrf51$7ja@library2.airnews.net>...
    >
    >>VK3XEM wrote:

    >>>I am amazed this type of product has not been produced! It would allow
    >>>two-way paging and confirmation of receipt.
    >>>
    >>>The only draw back I can see is how long it takes for the network to
    >>>dispatch the message, also the fact that individual messages would have
    >>>to be dispatched to all members of a paging group like Emergency
    >>>Services. How long would it take for everyone to get the message? This
    >>>could be crucial in some cases.
    >>>
    >>>The concept still has merit though.
    >>>

    >>>73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    >>

    >>I've been hearing rumours that the makers of Blackberry have a 2-way
    >>texting product intended for GPRS deployment with a proper SIM.
    >

    > I have seen Blackberry's products.. Currently, all of the GSM/GPRS
    > versions support voice. Are you saying that there are talks of an SMS
    > only device?
    > Thanks,
    > Jake

    That's what I've heard, just rumours, nothing like any product
    announcements.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
    what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

GSM Phones