Quiet cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just ordered parts to upgrade to a 570 from my old tried-and-true 9800GT. While I do game on occasion, this computer is built with production work in mind, and fan noise is of particular concern when editing audio. With the 9800GT I was able to find a passive cooler, and while I dobut I would find something passive for a 570 I was wondering what a good quiet, but effective, cooler would be for the 570.

I love zalman, but that is one ugly cooler lol. The prolimatech looks like it might work.

System specs:
The New (ordered but not received yet):
i7 2600 (not k)
16GB Corsair xms3 1333
GTX570, 1.12GB ram (I'll add a 2nd one in a year or 2)
ASRock Exxtreme3 Gen3 mobo
OCZ 750W power supply
The Old:
500GB system drive (will become a scratch disc after I get an SSD)
2 1TB drives (will be in raid 1 finally! Woot!)
3 120mm fans
Zalman CNPS9500 AT CPU coller (may replace with a 212 and keep the zalman with my C2Q board)
27" 1920x1200 display
Pioneer VSX-515 amp with home built speakers
Logitech wireless keyboard, and oddly a wired mouse I haven't gotten around to replacing.
It should be a good little editing platform for a good long time with room to grow :) And ought to play some games to boot! :D

hmmm, similar to the passive S1 cooler I am using on my 9800GT. A little pricey, but I guess if something has to disipate ~220W it has to use a fair amount of metal. But from the reviews it looks like it will bring me back to the glorious problem of having the HDD read/writes be the most annoying sound the computer makes.

@rolli59: thanks :) The last build I did was 3 years ago just as a multipurpose machine. It was a C2Duo e6550 on a cheap board with 4GB ram, and I found a 9800GT for cheap (refurbished) so I could game a little bit. Recently I got a very decent HD video camera (a Panasonic with 3 CMOS sensors), and I have started doing some soccer camp videos, and am starting to put the word out that I can do wedding videos on the side for cheap (at least to begin with lol), but as you can imagine the rig wouldn't take Premiere Pro CS5 very well, much less editing compressed HD footage. And while it could edit uncompressed HD footage within reason, it just takes too much HDD space, and too long to convert all the footage for a project. I picked up a q6600 and OC'd it a little to see if that would do the trick, and while it was noticeably better, there was still about a 1sec pause between when I pressed play in Adobe, and the footage would start to play. And the footage that would play was only at about 8fps, and would completely get lost if there were too many (more than 1) transitions. My hope is that the new rig will have enough kick to edit much better without laying down the money for a truly 'professional' setup (which I will do later if the video work picks up).

This is the first 'high end' build I have done sense my first build which was a Pentium 3 1GHz coppermine system, with 1GB of memory (4x256), 80GB HDDs, a huge power supply of 400W, a Matrox G550 GPU (for multi screen use) paired with an RT2500 editing card which came with an adobe suite. It was loud, it was hot, it was expensive, and I was one of the few college students with a PC powerful enough to do non-linear editing (SD footage of course), with transitions and effects, in real time. Sadly, 12 years later, my netbook has more raw horsepower than that machine lol how times change.

well all the parts are in, and I love my new rig! Thankfully the GPU isnt the vaccume cleaner that the stock 9800gt cooler was, so I'll wait a bit before replacing, but at least I know what to look for! But first will be either a huge SSD, or some SSD cashing to get windows to be a little more responsive and to speed up every-day tasks.

@kyle: Depending on the budget I may do water cooling, but to do it right it gets a touch expensive, so this may not be a viable option.

@jeffredo Thanks for the link, that's my most likely course of action!

Status
Not open for further replies.