Display Corruption when playing games.

daemondai

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have an odd one, nothing I've ever seen before anyway.

I recently upgraded my system as follows:

Intel Core i7 2600k
Asus Z68 Chipset Motherboard
8Gb G-Skill RAM
Asus DCII 2Gb 6970
Asus VK278Q Monitor

I've been playing a bit of Oblivion recently, to prepare myself for Skyrim :)
After a random amount of time playing, my screen will split in half like this.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the display problem continues after exiting into windows.

Unplugging the monitor (I'm using DVI at the moment, until I can be bothered to get a DP cable) and plugging it back in fixes the problem temporarily, as does restarting the PC. Changing resolution does nothing, if anything it screws things up even worse. There have been times I've been able to play for hours without the problem ocurring, other times it happens after a few minutes. I've been running a 2 monitor setup with my old 22" Samsung display and regardless of whether or not I disable the extra display, it still happens, and happens to both monitors when I'm running both displays.

I'd like to hope it's not a problem with the GPU, as that is going to be a major pain in the butt to deal with, as I ordered it online.

Keeping an eye on temperatures, the GPU is running at a balmy 50ish deg C.

Anyone got any ideas?

daemondai

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Happens with any game I play it seems. I haven't seen it yet do it in Windows without running some sort of 3D application first.

Tried The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Both have the same issue.

As for the unplugging/plugging in thing, it seems I was mistaken, still not working after unplugging and plugging the monitor back in. I was unplugging and replugging the DVI cable.

daemondai

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Downloaded and installed latest drivers, also made sure my BIOS settings weren't trying to overclock the PCIe bus. Set everything to default settings and... computer says no. :(

Is there anything it could be aside from the display adaptor? I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending it back, if it's not the problem. Could it be monitor drivers?

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Try an earlier stable driver. If that doesn't work then try a different video card or try your video card on a different computer.

This should help you determine whether the problem is actually the video card or not. If it is the video card then just RMA it. I know it sucks but it happens sometimes.